History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Little disappointing no new footage in the "sneak peek". Not really a peak, more like a rehash of what we know. I hope thats not what the new season is...a bunch of rehashes. The Curse of Oak Island Sneak Peek Video - The Curse of Oak Island - HISTORY.com

Within The first season, I learned more Truth about Oak Island in an hour of research in my local library, than the hours spent watching my television screen - but isnt that the Truth for Most instances these days?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Still Ticking and ready to explode!

Let's hope so.

It would be like trying to find the old chucked wooden platforms at the Comstock Mine, Nevada (cerca 1850`s) to prove that it once existed.

Apples and oranges. I think you'll agree that one has much more solid documentation than the other. Besides the documentation, there are little things like this as well:

Combination_Shaft,_Virginia_City.jpg

Old things not of use were destroyed back then by using them the best they could.

Except when they were being shopped around to interest investors, anyway.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont remember anyone trying to date any of the man made things found.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is a picture worth a 1000 words and as "Evidence"

Let's hope so.

Apples and oranges. I think you'll agree that one has much more solid documentation than the other. Besides the documentation, there are little things like this as well:

View attachment 1070198

Will a picture of the Comstock Mine showing its wooden platforms be sufficient as evidence in an additional 100 years as the missing wooden platforms from Oak Island?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Will a picture of the Comstock Mine showing its wooden platforms be sufficient as evidence in an additional 100 years as the missing wooden platforms from Oak Island?

I'm not sure that I understand the question, so I apologize in advance for my response.

In short - no. And here's why...

The Comstock Mine, or any other mine really, is constructed with the knowledge that it will someday play out; this may take ten years or a hundred years, but there will be a finite amount of ore in a given location. Give this knowledge, it doesn't make sense to "build for the ages," so to speak - you build it with its expected lifespan in mind, and if you need to replace or improve it because it lasted longer than you thought it would, then you do so. It's a site that's being actively worked and if something needs to be repaired or modified, you go ahead and do so because you're still there. And yes, a lot of those mines are still around in some form today, but not because they were built to function as monuments.

A buried treasure doesn't necessarily follow these rules. How you built its hiding place is how that hiding place will remain, at least until someone breaks in to recover the loot. If platforms were used to prevent the earth from sinking in and revealing the location, you'd probably want to take steps to make sure that these platforms would last for a while...at least long enough for someone to come back and recover it, anyway. (Although in some versions of the story, it was a depression that originally marked the spot. Do we now throw those stories out, or do we simply acknowledge that they got something wrong and are at least partially unreliable?) If you used wood, you would use the correct wood for the job, and you certainly wouldn't leave obvious evidence of the job after you were done, up to and including a marker stone eighty feet deep, as anyone who had already dug that deeply obviously knew that they were in the right spot and wouldn't need a marker to urge them on another forty feet.

But, we don't have the wood, nor flagstones, nor the marker. We just have an island with a lot of holes in it and nothing to show for it. I suppose that we could speculate that people buried treasure there with the expectation that they'd get right back and recover it in a few years, but now we're jamming a lot of speculation into an legend that's already jammed full of speculation. I'm trying to find the simple answer. I'm trying to approach this logically. It's the matter of logic, or the lack of it, that has me wondering about Oak Island. The existing stories and evidence, when taken together, doesn't present a logical picture. I can cherry pick my evidence and put it together logically, but when I'm picking and choosing the data that I'm basing my theory on while discarding other data, I'm no longer being scientific about it. At that point, I may as well just make something up. I've thrown any kind of logical process right out the window.

BTW, I'm not the one that brought up Comstock. You did that. I merely pointed out that it was a rather bad analogy. I'm glad that we can both agree on at least this point. As I said, apples and oranges.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right Dave

The only reason I presented the example of the "Comstock Mine" was that in my studies it too was built by the Cornish Tin Miners only a generation or two latter.

The question many ask is " Where are the wooden platforms that came from the Oak Island Money Pit?"

My reply would be that they have long since by what would be natural occurrences disappeared much like what I would presume will happen to the wooden platforms at Comstock in another 100 years.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw Rick and Marty using ground radar on the frozen ice of the swamp, so they did use my info I gave them . I just hope they did it the way I told them. I believe this hunt will answer some questions we all have and maybe we can solve this hunt.

Update/ No they didn't use ground radar :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting to get to the Cerro Punto and chart the whole thing with you guys !

Marty and Rick can run the Tours to the numerous locations, if they want to recoup, but they will have pave the tour and use my Rickshaws if they want the contracts.....LOL

We can make the documentary novel, and photo the areas for the graphics in the background photos and displays with the digs in process.

And I am approaching a contact in the Film Industry with very large cajones...

....hint hint....

"He who controls the Spice, controls the universe"

Keep hammering History guys for the documentary gigs, but if they wont credit you we are safe.

The contact is also a member here coincidentally, and is a retired Filmmaker so we can expect he has some interesting options to look at as well.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look tonight, but as soon as I saw that buffoon from TreasureForce was going to be on claiming its connected to King Solomon, that was enough for me. Won't be watching again.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking that the stone carving is somewhat native american looking

but dont see the mapped sequence as it relates to the island.....

I see it as something marked with symbols at the 8 points around the carving, with a strange looking star that I havent ever seen before.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. An eight pointed pictograph with a square center vs. the examples they showed from the Middle-East which ALL had a round center. No match there.

I guess we should believe the local peoples of the Americas sat around with their hands in their pockets and did no stone moving or working. These "History" and Alien involvement shows do such a discredit to the early inhabitants.

The eight pointed star is the Mi'kmaq symbol of hope. Also said to represent the eight districts of the Mi'kmaq confederacy.

8pointedstar.jpg

Eight-pointed star and its meaning

Explore Mi'kmaq Culture: Quillwork Craft for Native American Heritage MonthMulticultural Kid Blogs

Greg58

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2014
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look tonight, but as soon as I saw that buffoon from TreasureForce was going to be on claiming its connected to King Solomon, that was enough for me. Won't be watching again.

I don't know the guy’s name but he was sure making big claims and "connecting the dots" with huge gaps of information missing. He had the look on his face that expressed “I have solved everything, you must realize it". Other than that the gizmo he had for scanning the rock was neat.
The old movies of the island were interesting. They really destroyed the place.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if you caught it but the current group hasn't even found the original pit. They were boring to find the site. Apparantly Triton leveled the site when they pulled out. Good treasure hunters cover their holes. ;-)

I only get the History Channel as a free preview until 11/30. Someone will have to tell me when they find the answer. I put a 0.05% chance Pulitzer is on the right track. He's figured out a way to leverage the site to produce a living without finding the treasure.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Don't know if you caught it but the current group hasn't even found the original pit. They were boring to find the site. Apparantly Triton leveled the site when they pulled out. Good treasure hunters cover their holes. ;-)

I'm not sure that Triton knew where it was, either.

11rowsof3

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still enjoy the show, I understand (as should all of you) it's "entertainment". Watching a show every week that simply is about "yeah, we didn't find anything" would be boring.

That being said - unless it's planted by the show (which I don't think it is) the core sample is quite amazing. Coins being found are interesting and in general "something" happened here 100's of years ago. Will the Laginas solve it? I doubt it. Will it ever be solved? Probably not... but I enjoy the show a great deal.

treasuretruth

Nov 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Questions about Oak Island in general: 1. When did people start calling the Island "Oak Island"? When did they start calling it Smith Island?
Is there any connection to Robert L. Stevenson and Oak Island? Anyone know if he visited there? Thanks!

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The advertisers have made a. Treasure by the viewers. By the way at 140 down the water pressure wound be approximately 60 psi that would flood any hole ????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread