Holmes "Missing" directions

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google blowed it up. It's all a secret though......

Seriously, this is a good example as to why you should NOT rely on what you see on GE if you are looking for a lost mine.

This is a crop from one of the panoramio photos on GE, taken by someone who WAS really there.

View attachment 1130992

It's kinda blurry......cause I blowed it up this time 8-)

I don't put a lot of faith in GE. I was trying to match up GE with the old photo of Weaver's Needle and noticed the short spire on the left side is missing in the GE rendition. All details do not show up in GE and one should not put all their trust in the images.

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imho the waltzs doodle doesnt show weavers needle. I believe all of the doodle is the same moutain.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
View attachment 1130921

Looks like the short spire on the left is gone now. When was the original photo taken? Did Ed Piper or Celeste Jones blow it off?
View attachment 1130922

pkdmslf,

I took that picture from a helicopter around 2000. One thing to keep in mind when you are trying to match the Waltz drawing, is that he likely drew it many years since he made his last trip into the mountains, and he was probably quite sick when he drew it..........all from a visual (distant) memory.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one very nice photograph. One of my favorites.

Thanks for posting it!

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Holmes had not enough clues to be able to find the LDM . The most accurate clues had Julia Thomas but was not skilled and not capable to find it .
Look at these pictures and to their similarities . The first is from the LDM site , the second is a fragment from the " Minas del oro " map reversed and the third is a fragment from the Julia's map revised .

DM place.jpg DM place 2.GIF Julia's map revised.jpg

Last edited:

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong about the waltz doodle being one mountain. Im unsure if its a real ldm clue anymore. This morning my wife was watching yet another daniel boone rerun.
I looked up and there was the doodle plain as day. Or a area that looks alot like it. Boone was walking in a canyon and the canyon walls made the foreground with the peak in the background. I could believe what I was looking at. Now I know some of the DB shows were filmed in Az,and some in California. So I have no idea where they were at when filming the show. So I'm going to try and post the scene or maybe find it on line. Then post the link. It could be a coincidence ,but it looked more like the doodle than any pic I have seen on line. On another episode they were filming outside of a cave in az. Above the caves entrance was a heart. Big as life. I told my wife I wouldn't be surprised if they found areas that looked like ldm clues to create a interest. Then again they might not have noticed. Anyway. Does anyone on here know if any of the old tv shows were filmed nears weavers needle or one of the other peaks. I try to find a link and post it soon. I really want the opinion of those more knowledgeable about ldm clues than me.

Edited. Ok its daniel boone season 3 eposode 4. Grizzly. One you tube its marked as pt 1.
After reawatching on you tube Im not as sure as earlier,but either the vid is blurry or it my eyes. Lol. The show was much clearer on the tv than my phone. You could see the details better.
Anyway if you guys would take a look and let me know what you think. I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnmark

One proverb says : " Many donkeys look the same " . The Waltz drawing is another Perfil map .

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnmark

One proverb says : " Many donkeys look the same " . The Waltz drawing is another Perfil map .

True true. I like watching old shows I know were filmed in the mtns. Looking past the actors at the background. Being able to get a glimpse of what things looked like before the wilderness act took affect.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread