Holy coins

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I found 2 seated dimes just recently both are holed, what was cool was this was the first time I found one made into a button. I dont always post my stuff, as I hunt alot and often find neat stuff and my share of J'unk. I also found a 1899 Nickle behind a old church in Manvel this weekend with alot of Family history, and my first Dollar coin, it was a modern coin ,But my first above .25 none the less. I'd love to see more holed coins found by ya'll, Shame they are not valued as high as perfect coins as the History of them is certainly a mystery.

Attachments

• CCI00064.jpg
    CCI00064.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 558
  • Manvel church.JPG
    Manvel church.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Those are very cool! I have not found any holed coins yet but I would think they were a special treasure if I did. Value or no value, they are cool! :D

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that is the first two holed coin I have ever seen. Thanks for posting.
Burdie

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Those are some nice old coins and holes. My only holed coin is a Sacajawea. Not old but a real ear blaster!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the two holed coin might have been used as a "whizzer"--- put string thru in the holes-- tie as a loop ---twist and let go it spins---old timey toy type item---Ivan

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't mind a hole in mine. That is a sweet coin even with the hole.

Also the V nickel is cool. Not quite as bad as the one I found this week. Too bad they don't hold up better.

Bob

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
try it like this tie string in a loop thru the holes---hold the ends pulling it tightly and run the coin edge so it goes around--- causing the line to twist ---when released it will spin the coins --not much of a toy but long ago kids were easy to keep busy---Ivan

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
ivan salis said:
the two holed coin might have been used as a "whizzer"--- put string thru in the holes-- tie as a loop ---twist and let go it spins---old timey toy type item---Ivan

I agree... button holes woulda been much closer together... and a dime woulda bought more than one button - so...

I go with whizzer! Also called a Buzz Saw, and a few other things, these are some of the earliest (read oldest) toys ever recorded.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
lordy lordy I got one right --my gramppa from west virigina made ones for us kids ---about 40 years ago---is the only reason I know it--Ivan

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
HAAAAA! it worked!! Stop me b-4 I punch holes in my seated quarters ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
see----a simple toy for kids to play with in old times---odd that they would use a dime ---it was worth a bit normally pennies were used to make em--- so now you have a "high priced" very old toy of your very own---and now you know what a "whizzer" is---if you should see another one in the future---Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the single holed one is to be worn as a necklace --jewelry---no more mystery about these "holed" coins---I think---Ivan

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Ah whizzers I played with a few of them when I was young never one made out of money though. Great finds holes or not old coins are always great finds. HH Ted

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Nice finds Tex... Had an old timer tell me most of those that served during the Civil War didn't have pockets, and holed all of their coins to wear around their neck... Don't know if that is the case or not, but sure made sense to me...

HH Robert

R

RUDY2003

Love the Dimes Tex. I'm still lookin for my6 first old silver..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread