Homemade Grip?

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
*I realize this topic has been discussed, but most of the info I found was regarding people who wanted to either protect or repair their existing grip. I need suggestions on making a completely new one.

To make a long story short, the handle on my T2 recently cracked (as mentioned in a previous post). I was able to order a new handle and foam grip. The replacement handle was very easy to put on, however I quickly noticed that the design of the T2 makes it virtually impossible for the average person to put on the replacement foam grip (I could explain why if anyone's really that interested). So I have the bare plastic handle and I'm looking for suggestions on how to make my own grip. I've read about people using different wrappings, from vet wrap to tennis racket grips, but these were usually cases where they just wanted to protect or repair their existing foam. Would these wrappings give enough cushion if used on their own? Thanks.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vetwrap works good for me. Several colors, $2.30 a roll at TractorSupply here. Sticks to itself. I use it by itself. I guess you could add anything under it you can think of.

It's called "Co-Flex", 4"x 5', stretches to 15'.

Try it, whack it off if it isn't what you expect.

Last edited:

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a bicycle grip before. You can buy them at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc.

TOMBAC

Nov 24, 2012
new jersey
Detector(s) used
dfx, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use cork wrapping as the same as fishing rods you can order from one of the custom rod suppliers

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies. This time I ended up just wrapping the handle with the grip used on tennis rackets. I like it so far, has the right amount of padding. Plus it's non adhesive so I can always easily take it off if I want to try something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread