Omega or T2???

Bevo1986

Feb 18, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum
Discovery 3300
I have a question for all the Teknetics users here. I currently swing a BH Platinum and I am thinking of upgrading to a machine that has a little more tweakability. I do mostly coin shooting and want a good deep detector that isnt just a turn and go machine. I like what I have read about the Omega and it is in my price range (selling the Platinum and selling a few other toys), or should I hold off longer and save for the T2? Love all the bells a whistles it has including the trigger. Just wondering what you all think, I am on the fence either way. Thanks in advance for any advice and HH.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was me, I would save for the T2. From what I read, the depth on a T2 blows an Omega out of the water, and a Fisher F75 ( if you're willing to part with an extra $50, and don't have your mind set on a Teknetics) outperforms the T2 quite well. I guess it's up to you, how much are you willing to spend, without letting go of more money than you are comfortable with.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
T2... quick answer Its just better.

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned that you are basically a coin hunter, if that is the case then I highly recommend you to go with the F75 as elijahhenry10 posted above. The F75 and T2 are very similar on the outside but when it comes to the software used for them the T2 has a wider range of accepting iron targets which makes it such a great Relic detector and the F75 is really geared more towards coins and jewelry. Dont get me wrong the T2 will find coins and the F75 will find Relics but Im just letting you know about the software in each one and what its geared more towards. If you want to go into more depth about it or have any questions feel free to contact me anytime, plus we offer great deals on both of those detectors for forum members.

dwayner

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
[
Omega is a good coin shooter. I'm sure you would be happy with it. T2 is a step up. If you have the cash then the t2 for sure.

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[
Omega is a good coin shooter. I'm sure you would be happy with it. T2 is a step up. If you have the cash then the t2 for sure.

Do you have worked with both devices? My Budget was 700 bucks and buyed a O8 + Garrett PP + NEL 12x13 (of course the 10" Standard inc.)

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
B

Bevo1986

Feb 18, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum
Discovery 3300
Thanks guys I will just have to save a little longer and try and find a good deal on the f75 or T2. Anyone looking for a gently used Platinum???

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short and sweet T2

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go with the t2 I just got one in feb and digging coins and GOLD and SILVER!!! It works great my hunting buddy has a F5 and it good too . T 2 is finding targets at 10 to 12 in deep. It takes a little getting use to , I can tell whats junk and what's dig able target. Haven't dug up bottle cap in while.

dwayner

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Do you have worked with both devices? My Budget was 700 bucks and buyed a O8 + Garrett PP + NEL 12x13 (of course the 10" Standard inc.)

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Only played with t2 once. My friend does well with it. Takes it to the uk for one week hunts.
I got a used omega for 400$ so went with it.

Ive Used fishers too but like teknetics. It's a tough decision. So many good detectors with all brands.

dwayner

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Just lifted this on another site.

Teknetics T2 Vs Omega 8000 are very close, in some ways, yet a bit different in others. Here are some basic differences:

Operating Frequency: T2 is 13 kHz and the Omega 8000 is 7.8 kHz.

Battery System: T2 is 4-AA alkaline batteries and the Omega 8000 uses 1-9V alkaline battery.

Ground Balance Differences: Both the T2 and Omega 8000 feature the quick "auto-balance" with the T2 trigger-activated called Fast Grab and the Omega 8000 touch-pad activated method called Ground Grab. Different name, but the same function.

The main difference for me comes when I want to make a manual Ground Cancel adjustment as theT2 requires switching to the All Metal mode and then menuing to the GC adjustment which the Omega 8000 can be manually adjusted in either the All Metal auto-tune mode or in the motion Discriminate mode.

An additional 'difference' is that when making a manual CG change, there are 5 'steps" between one whole number and the next with the T2 while there are 10 "steps" between whole numbers with the Omega 8000. In some applications this will provide a little more "fine tuning" with the Omega 8000.

Numeric VDI read-Out: Both the T2 and Omega 8000 provide excellent VDI numeric read-out.

Graphic TID Read-Out: The T2 has adequate Target ID for most "Coin hunters" and will give a pretty decent lock-on with mainly shallower coins, while the Omega 8000 seems to provide a much better coin-based and common trash Target ID with their segments. Probably a little better for most "Coin hunting" applications IF you're quite dependant on visual TID.

Search Coil Options: As we know, quite a few hobbyists seem to really like the 11" BiAxial DD coil which is standard on the T2, and many have found it to appeal to them on the Omega 8000 as well. However, while I personally like it for certain applications, such as where I favor a T2 and on occasion grabbing an Omega 8000 with the 11" mounted, the Omega 8000, like the T2 can also use an excellent 5" DD coil for very trashy and/or confined spaces. Still, the Omega 8000 has two coils not available for the T2, to include the very nice 10" concentric wound elliptical coil that is 'standard, as well as the 8" round concentric coil that comes on the Alpha, Delta and Gamma models.

Weight & Balance: I like both the T2 and Omega 8000 more than most any other detector on the market, but I find the Omega 8000 to be slightly lighter and a little better balanced of the two models.

Discriminating Differences; The two models have somewhat different rejection levels for the same sample targets, but that's fine as we learn each model. One "feature" or "function" that does attract some day-to-day coin hunters is the ability for the Omega 8000 to employ "Notch Discrimination." That feature is not found on the T2.

Certainly there are other small differences, but these are basically the ones that seem to strike me as more 'different' from one model to the other.

I own both models. I like both models. I favor the Omega 8000 most of all, however, due to the weight, maneuverability, and the 3-coil options, combined with the types of hunting I do the most, I tend to grab my Omega 8000 most of the time, usually with either the stock 10" concentric or 5" DD coil. Site environment makes the choice difference.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes it is a tough decision.If budget enough go to T2 which is the flagship model as I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread