Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wanting to know what other people thought about Local groups or clubs.

When I first started detecting, I met a guy from the club here in Fort Worth, and was invited to come visit them on there weekly meetings.

My first impression was thinking " Wow, someone might actually be able to show me the ropes, maybe give off me some tips"

But i came to soon realize that it wasnt anythign like that at all. Thou the people were polite for the most part, it was actually quite uncomfortable.

I do understand I was a noob, and most people dont last detecting long. But what a experiance. Not one of them would even give me an "idea" of where i should be looking or what signs to look for

I think those clubs are more designed to meet people and find out if they have any new areas of private land, or any "hot spots" because that seemed to be the only thing they were interested in talkign to me about...was were I metal detect

Plus I never understood digging planted coins at all. I'm sure there are people that enjoy the company of large groups hunting and hunting salted coins...but it really seems that it would suit children more than adults.

Attachments

• Fort Worth.jpg
    Fort Worth.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 111

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a newcomer, as I've been detecting since 1962 after I built my first unit (a BFO). I've lived in the Kansas City, area, Denver, area, and now Roswell, NM. I tried in the past to join three different clubs, and had basically the same experience you did. Not snobbish, but clannish to say the least.

The closest club to me now is in Albuquerque. They expect members to attend a certain number of meetings a year, and go on at least one club hunt per year. Well, I'm retired, and my time is my own, but I'll be darned if I'm going to drive 3 hours each way just to get "clannish".

I do, however, have several folks here locally who I hunt with occasionally. Two of us tried to start a club, but interest just wasn't there. So we just have coffee at the local IHOP once in a while.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting Club members are kind of like Fishing Clubs . You meet , talk about fishing , show what you caught over the past month , discuss the next get together ( hunt - fish contest ) and enjoy your coffee & donuts . But , you NEVER - NEVER discuss WHERE you caught - found your fish - coins .....:dontknow:

The one BIG thing I always questioned secretly to myself was , a few members ALWAYS had POUNDS of coins ( not clads ) & finds since the last months meeting . ( I'm not talking about the usual clads & costume jewlery either . ) So , the same members always went home with the monthly prizes for Most Coins , Oldest Coins , Most Unique Item month after month after month . Kinda made ya wonder after a while .......:icon_scratch:

When I finally built a display case for my ( 2 yrs worth ) of good & unique finds , it was'nt even close to the usual winners of the monthly finds . The club also had many detecting related items for sale every month . Books , pouches , diggers , hand held micoscope and videos . The seeded Club Hunts are what they are . But , the prizes where very nice . I have Collector sets of old coins , many pre 1900 coins and recieved my first GOOD trowels for digging . Definetly got my moneys worth from the entry fee . NOW , I also had good items ( coins ) to run under my coils to see what the VDI numbers on my XLT will be IF I actually find some while out detecting ....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Sometimes one good detecting buddy is all you need! No detecting club in my area, but my adult son here & I both research local historical info on the net & in the library, which has led to some of our most successful hunts. Our other best tips have come from friendly passersby who've been living in this area a lot longer than we have. My son & I hunt both solo & together, have wonderful times and dig some great stuff among the junk.
The club you attended may have been more clannish than most. Though I've never been in a detecting club, I've been in several rock-hounding clubs. In Virginia & California, the rock-hounding club members were extremely friendly & helpful with practical info & invitations to hunt with them, but in southern Arizona my husband, young daughter and myself were given such an icy cold-shoulder by the club members that we never returned. In that case, the cold-shoulder may have had racist overtones, but regardless of what was spinning around in their minds, if any group isn't welcoming, it's a waste of time to return.
I like this thread & am looking forward to reading the detecting club experiences of more t-net members. :icon_thumright: Andi

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
re

obviously, this question will be case-dependant. Some clubs will be fun, interesting, helpful mentors to meet, etc... Others might have boring organizers, clannish snobbery, etc..

So it's hard to ask a question about "clubs" in general, since they can vary all over the board. The clubs I've been in were fun, and we sought to help anyone with questions. And yes, site-info was exchanged back and forth. You can hardly fault anyone for that, haha . If someone's coming in to the monthly meeting with barbers and seateds, well, duh.... others will wonder "where did you find that?" And if the person doesn't want to tell out loud where he's hunting (and instead only elects to invite just a few select buddies), then the club get "branded" as "snobbish" or "clannish" etc... Well gee, why is it the obligation of a guy who did his research to HAVE to tell the world? We all know what happens to a site when 20 guys show up there the next morning! It gets put off limits. Doh.

The only other thing I would say, is that the day-&-age of "clubs" has come and gone anyhow. Starting with the age of the internet (late '90s, /early '00s), with the advent of the internet, now people get their socializing on-line. Instead of having to go to a club to find out the latest rumors of detecting technology, or who's-finding-what, or to show off your finds, .... now you can do all that from the comfort of your own living room chair. So clubs have been on the decline for a decade or more now.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried a couple of clubs years ago........ And i did not care for them ... Some people are what i call joiners ..they just love clubs... My self you could not get me in a club .... And you are right when you said .. You did not under stand why some enjoy hunting and digging ..planted & salted coins .... I will never understand that either i don't go on hunts like that....... But i think the new geo people will love to hunt planted coins.. What ever in he!! geo means......

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a comment.First i hate clubs of any sorts but to each his on.Second i have been hunting for only 2 weeks with nothing much yet.But i would not go on a hunt where coins or whatever were already planted in the ground.To me it would just take the thrill and adventure away..Isn't the fun in not knowing what might be there..Just my 2 cents worth..

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a comment.First i hate clubs of any sorts but to each his on.Second i have been hunting for only 2 weeks with nothing much yet.But i would not go on a hunt where coins or whatever were already planted in the ground.To me it would just take the thrill and adventure away..Isn't the fun in not knowing what might be there..Just my 2 cents worth..

I'm not sure how other Clubs do it , but real coins ( Barbers , Seated Liberties , V- Nickles ect. ) were just a bonus during the seeded hunt . What you really wanted were the home made TOKENS . They were either painted or Numbered . Those had very nice prizes waiting at the end of the day .....:thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure how other Clubs do it , but real coins ( Barbers , Seated Liberties , V- Nickles ect. ) were just a bonus during the seeded hunt . What you really wanted were the home made TOKENS . They were either painted or Numbered . Those had very nice prizes waiting at the end of the day .....:thumbsup:
... I know how they do those salted hunts and it is not for me ..... That is just a game to me and when i hunt i don't play games......

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not a joiner...I don't mind hunting with someone but that is the extent of it. I prefer to be alone 99% of the time. I just don't need fake little ***holes around me...

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I feel the same way don. I'm new to this to and it is very exciting to find something that was lost and wasn't planted. That next beep my be an old coin or a gold ring.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Well, I'm not "against" clubs. Some people just want to be around other people. Not me. I'm not a "crowd" kind of guy. :o)
I hunt with my brother and nephew.
I have spots that are only hunted by me and that's the way I like it. So I see why club members don't tell where they hunt.
But you could probably get some good detecting tips and hear some good stories. If you like the people.

HH

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Let me start by clarifying myself...I not saying I was against Clubs or talking smack about clubs..I guess I didnt know what to expect...I would never expect someone to tell me where they are hunting...All I really wanted to know was how to use my machine, and share stories of finds...I dont know...maybe it was me....But i do see alot of posts that show me they have had similar experiences. I thought i was just misreading these people

And as for the planted coins....I think its great for the Boyscouts and that sorta thing..Kids that want to learn to detect....But for people like me..or people that really like to hunt..it really doesnt make sense

I personally only detect with a select few, and keep some of my good spots a little hush hush....Plus we all have an agreement about what places we can hunt alone..or if its a good spot that hasnt been pounded over and over...we will always wait for each other.

Thanks for the responses ya'll :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obviously, this question will be case-dependant. Some clubs will be fun, interesting, helpful mentors to meet, etc... Others might have boring organizers, clannish snobbery, etc..

So it's hard to ask a question about "clubs" in general, since they can vary all over the board. The clubs I've been in were fun, and we sought to help anyone with questions. And yes, site-info was exchanged back and forth. You can hardly fault anyone for that, haha . If someone's coming in to the monthly meeting with barbers and seateds, well, duh.... others will wonder "where did you find that?" And if the person doesn't want to tell out loud where he's hunting (and instead only elects to invite just a few select buddies), then the club get "branded" as "snobbish" or "clannish" etc... Well gee, why is it the obligation of a guy who did his research to HAVE to tell the world? We all know what happens to a site when 20 guys show up there the next morning! It gets put off limits. Doh.

The only other thing I would say, is that the day-&-age of "clubs" has come and gone anyhow. Starting with the age of the internet (late '90s, /early '00s), with the advent of the internet, now people get their socializing on-line. Instead of having to go to a club to find out the latest rumors of detecting technology, or who's-finding-what, or to show off your finds, .... now you can do all that from the comfort of your own living room chair. So clubs have been on the decline for a decade or more now.

I totally agree...its IS Case by Case.....and I think you are right..the "clubs" are really just internet based forums such as this...Ive never been part of any clubt that was competitive of sorts...Ive only been in Truck/Car Clubs...where everyone is ther eto have your back and help you out...So I guess i went into this thinking it would be the same.

Im perfectly content with a few hunting buddies and this Forum

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I joined a club, and participated for about a year. The main purpose of the club was to show off finds with contests and to have planted hunts. It seamed like every one kind of pared off with one hunting buddy. Locations were kept as deep dark secrets. I don't like planted hunts and am kind of a lone wolf myself although I have pared off with partners from time to time. Usually on big cache hunting projects. It kind of got old and I faded away from it. Cache hunting and historical properties are my main thing. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to totally agree with everyones comments on this popst.
Most are just 'social clubs'
A good question to ask, before joining would be--- "how many
claims do you have/control." In the western states clubs tend to
hold claims, on the eastern states not so much.
Happy hunting.

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wanting to know what other people thought about Local groups or clubs.

When I first started detecting, I met a guy from the club here in Fort Worth, and was invited to come visit them on there weekly meetings.

My first impression was thinking " Wow, someone might actually be able to show me the ropes, maybe give off me some tips"

But i came to soon realize that it wasnt anythign like that at all. Thou the people were polite for the most part, it was actually quite uncomfortable.

I do understand I was a noob, and most people dont last detecting long. But what a experiance. Not one of them would even give me an "idea" of where i should be looking or what signs to look for

I think those clubs are more designed to meet people and find out if they have any new areas of private land, or any "hot spots" because that seemed to be the only thing they were interested in talkign to me about...was were I metal detect

Plus I never understood digging planted coins at all. I'm sure there are people that enjoy the company of large groups hunting and hunting salted coins...but it really seems that it would suit children more than adults.

Your post is kind'a a bummer OP. I've been looking around at (MD'G) clubs in My area and I'm sorry to hear about YOUR experience (!)

I belong to some gun and modeling (Plastic Models) clubs around here and have always found those folks to be pretty damn verbose when
it came to handing out advice(You just can't shut them up sometimes...lol).

I'm about ready to pull the trigger and join one club around here (They're an MD'G and prospecting club) next weekend. 'hope that
they're not like THAT! :censored:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post is kind'a a bummer OP. I've been looking around at (MD'G) clubs in My area and I'm sorry to hear about YOUR experience (!)

I belong to some gun and modeling (Plastic Models) clubs around here and have always found those folks to be pretty damn verbose when
it came to handing out advice(You just can't shut them up sometimes...lol).

I'm about ready to pull the trigger and join one club around here (They're an MD'G and prospecting club) next weekend. 'hope that
they're not like THAT! :censored:

I know all people are different....and all clubs are different....as mentioned before, i have been in clubs, and never had these issues...But this is more of a competitive "sport"...and unlike fishing, were fish will reproduce....Silver coins and relics dont, So with that said. I wouldnt say DONT join any club...Just know what you are going into...Im sure there are a few "like myself" that really do like helping people out, and dont think about the fact they might find something and I dont....But for the most part, the impression I got was a bunch of greedy men that liked bragging about themselves.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best club to belong to is finding some friends you trust and have a great time. I hunt with three other guys and we all research and hunt together. Sometimes we all can't get together at once and maybe only one or two can go but we try to hunt when all can get together. Now if it is a new site then we will all hunt together. We mainly hunt civil war relics which is probably the most secretive hunting there is. Everyone wants to know where you find your relics. The club I used to belong to would hound me to death trying to find out where I was hunting. Since I found my loyal friends I dropped the club. We hunt some farms that the landowners will not allow anyone else to hunt. We know some of the local club members drive around looking for our vehicles. One site we showed up at daybreak and found freshly dug holes that was only hours old. They must have been night hunting (trespassing). It was along a highway so we must have been seen. I am not saying all clubs are bad. I used to belong to the club in Nashville when I lived there and I really did enjoy them and I would have no problem joining them again if I ever live there again. But this local club near me now is another story. There are some really good people in this club but then again there are some really bad ones as well. If they could weed out the bad ones I might reconsider them again. I did make $300 to $400 selling the silver finds on the seeded hunts which went right back into my hobby. But like I said earlier I am much happier hunting with my friends now.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detecting clubs are about as good as flat batteries...

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread