Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice

Definately gotta move slow. Its the most iron infested site Ive ever hunt. As far as depth, a few of the indians were nearly on the surface. Good thing is that it will probably be plowed in the spring and good targets may become unmasked when i go back in the fall

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! Amazing hunt! Semi-key Indians and a Seated!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indian heads I dig here on the Maine coast are dark anyway so that's not an issue for me. The Indian heads are much tougher than the large cents. I do not have the patience for tooth picking and the bottom line is this. Once you get the loose dirt off and let it soak you're not going to hurt it with a soft toothbrush. It will get into all of those spots and won't take forever. Do not use olive oil. Mineral oil should be the only oil you consider....but not until you get every bit of the loose dirt off. Even then you will have that oily residue lead him out of the coin for a long time. If there's corrosion you're fighting a losing battle. It just looks like stuck on dirt in the pics. I have had Indian heads that I believed had corrosion before and it was just crust from being close to the ocean. Go ahead and give them a long soapy water soak if you want. Anything to loosen up the stuck on dirt and crust. Don't be afraid of the toothbrush

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Indian heads I dig here on the Maine coast are dark anyway so that's not an issue for me. The Indian heads are much tougher than the large cents. I do not have the patience for tooth picking and the bottom line is this. Once you get the loose dirt off and let it soak you're not going to hurt it with a soft toothbrush. It will get into all of those spots and won't take forever. Do not use olive oil. Mineral oil should be the only oil you consider....but not until you get every bit of the loose dirt off. Even then you will have that oily residue lead him out of the coin for a long time. If there's corrosion you're fighting a losing battle. It just looks like stuck on dirt in the pics. I have had Indian heads that I believed had corrosion before and it was just crust from being close to the ocean. Go ahead and give them a long soapy water soak if you want. Anything to loosen up the stuck on dirt and crust. Don't be afraid of the toothbrush

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452305142.393322.jpg

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow..that dime is in remarkable condition! Looks like a pretty amazing site. I might have to camp out there tonight, in order to get an early start in the morning. Please let us know what else you find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the coinage and best of luck on the return hunts.

I've HP'd the coppers before and had the green patina stay intact without any issues. I've done LCs and not had an issue, and I've had some turn black, as some tokens have gone black so it's one of those things I guess. Soft brush dry, toothpick will only take a few minutes to see if the surface is smooth or corroded/pitted to the point of the coin's grade isn't going to be any good anyways.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow..that dime is in remarkable condition! Looks like a pretty amazing site. I might have to camp out there tonight, in order to get an early start in the morning. Please let us know what else you find.

Yeah i want to get as much out of there as soon as possible. Its out in the open near a busy road and you never know if the owner will take away permission. Plus it will probably be planted on not to long after winter. Hope the grounds not frozen solid soon too

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins! Seated looks great!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope I've found a field of dreams

Every hunter deserves their "field of dreams". I hope it produces for a long time and keeps you smiling. I'm looking for my next! Congrats on the seated

Cheers

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every hunter deserves their "field of dreams". I hope it produces for a long time and keeps you smiling. I'm looking for my next! Congrats on the seated

Cheers
Thanks. The history on this site gives every indication that it should produce lots of late 19th to early 20th century coinage

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of recovered old coins!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread