Is it worth picking that penny up off the ground ?(UPDATE)

Do you think i'm nuts,or will i hit my goal ?

• Hay NE Hunter you will hit your goal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NE Hunter your nuts you will never find enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
So my question is.Do you really think its worth picking that penny up off the ground ?
Here is what I'm going to do.Call me crazy but i have to know.
I will pick up every coin i see on the ground that other pepole walk right by and don't even bother to pick it up.
I will do this for one year and see what i come up with.
Man hope i get rich.
I have a goal set.That is i hope to get enough money to subscribe to Lost Treasure,and Western and Eastern Treasure magazines.And if i find more than that i will dinate the rest to this site
Take a guess at how much you think i can find in one year
I need $ 60.00 for the mags and 8% for coin star.Some of these coins will be beat up so i will use coin star
Start date 2/9/06
Last updated 4/12/06
finds so far

16-Quarters
21- Dimes
25- Nickels
131-Pennies

Total $08.66

I need an average of about 19 cents per day
Average $ found per day 00.14
How much i need to reach my goal$64.80
How much i have left to hit my goal$56.14

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is it worth picking that penny up off the ground ?

I always take the time to pick up pennies.

AFTER ALL, I'll spend 5 Minutes digging one out of ground as hard as Concrete,

Why Not Take the Easy ones Too ;D

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Always agree on this, so much easier,
Hehe
ss

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

jeff of pa said:
I always take the time to pick up pennies.

AFTER ALL, I'll spend 5 Minutes digging one out of ground as hard as Concrete,

Why Not Take the Easy ones Too? ;D

At least yours wasn't one of those silvery looking play dimes. ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Always stop to pick up any change.

At times I even find myself looking down as I walk. (habit)

have a good un..................

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

hmm ???
first intinct says,,,'no way.
But, i guess you could find some paper...
Nah.........no way......
but,,,a year's a long time...
hmm ???

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

13 cents a day time 365 = $47.45

I'd say you could do it if you get out enough and walk around...probably a 50/50 chance.

HH!
TBGO

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I stop and pick 'em all up just 'cause Dad was in the habit and it seems normal to me.... lol! Most people don't, I know, but that seems unnatural to me.....

Dad probably got it from his Dad, who grew up during the depression.

When I was real little, my Father got hurt bad. This was before the worker's comp bill, so we were pretty tight. Qualified for food stamps, and about 1/3 of his salary, but that was about it. Try and raise a family of six nowadays on that!

We have always been pretty outdoorsy, both my folks came from the country. freezer was always full of duck, geese, pheasant, deer, elk, crab, salmon, etc. never knew how good we had it! Most people pay big bucks for these "specialties"! LOL!

But we managed to keep the house and the family together. Thats what it's all about, values.

Pick up that loose change and don't think twice about it, you'll get your mags!

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA

Yep, I still stop & pick up everything I see. Convenience store parking lots seem to be fertile grounds...grocery stores, high school parking lots. Anywhere where teens are getting in & out of their cars...they never take the time to stop, even when they see it hit the ground....that's ok, more for me!

bwilly36

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Heck Yeah, you can find $60.00 on the ground by the end of the year. So far this year from picking up money off the ground that everyone else walks by, I have $19.00 already. I did find a $10.00 bill and two $1.00 bills. Just keep your head down and eyes on the ground. Also, don't forget to look in the Coinstar machine every time you pass it. ;D

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey

I find coins all the time. IT IS MONEY.....da. I don't know why society looks funny at people who pick up valuables. I once found $231 in paper floating around in the middle of the road. If I would stop for that why not for a penny?

Keep it up you'll get your mags

HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

If you happen to drive by a tavern or bar on a Sunday morning, be sure to check out the parking lot-especially along fence rows. ;) There was one that I checked that was good for $5 to $20 a week in paper money before they closed down.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Hunter,
Buddy of mine showed me a different way of looking at it. SHE picked up every bit of change she saw. When she got a dollar, she went to the 7-11 and bought a scratch off ticket. First year I knew her she found about 20 dollars of change and picked up more than a hundred from those scratchers.
Pick up everything. You never know when that misstrike or oddity will show up. Don't worry about those weird looks others give you, they already thik MD'ers are crazy! :D

grizzly bare

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

I pick up coins whenever I see them. On rare occasions I will leave a cent on the ground if picking it up would draw unwanted attention or make me look cheap. I have been known to drop a coin while waiting in line so I can also pick up another I have spotted.

More and more I am finding several cents in one spot where the younger generation simply throws them away! I'll gladly bend over and pick them up.

I have always walked with my eyes on the ground. That probably goes back to my hunting days. I find more stuff on the ground than anyone else I know.

Last year I remember finding a $10 bill on the ground outside our AAA baseball stadium and a $20 on the floor of a pizza joint. Plus the usual stray $1 here and there. I don't recall finding a Fin.

And remember ... it's considered good luck when you find a cent heads up! :)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

I've been doing the "count the change" along time with a girlfriend of mine. We throw any change we find on the ground in a jug.(without MD) we both average 100 bucks a year with the exception of one year when we strolled out of a lounge and she picked up what we thought was a dollar. She said wow, look, its a one hundred dollar bill, then immediately said, no wait, its two one hundred dollar bills, one for you and one for me. :D gosh I"m glad we're such good friends.

We ride bicycles alot also, great place to find change is at intersections and drive thru's. We drive right through on the bikes pick up the change wave at the workers and move on.

Its free money, don't walk over it just because its a penny! :P

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another great place for finding change is at the do-it-yourself carwash places. You'd be suprised how many people vacuum their cars and throw out small change, plus the people who forget their extra quarters in the car wash stalls. I found so much change the last few times I washed my car that now I will sometimes stop just to look if I happen to drive by one!

PS: I'll bet there's tons of change in the vacuum baskets, but I'm not brave enough to get past what else may be in there to look!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would never pass up a dropped penny. I figure if the clad gods gave me a freebie no telling what may lay in store buried! I have a friend who use to check all the vending machine and telephone coin slots every time we went to the lounge to have lunch at work. Use to drive me crazy! Another guy said he was at the urinal and saw a dime in there, so he threw in a quarter to make it worth reaching in and getting it! People are strange, but not me! No, I'm just weird, but not strange. I have observed that if one drops a penny at a treasure hunters meeting you are apt to be run over in the stampede if you are not quick enough to retrieve it. I guess it's an acquired trait after being in the hobby for a while? You can also always tell a treasure hunter because they/we always look through our change at the convenience store. Monty

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget the tops of vending machines. A lot of people place their change on type while rooting around their purses or pockets for me and then aren't tall enough to get all of it off the top of the machine... Of course I'm tall and can usually look down onto the machines, I guess it might be odd for someone that is short to be rubbing their hands all over the top and knocking loose dust into the air and all over themselves. As a kid I always checked phones and vending machine returns for change and sometimes I would pull out a dollar or two in change from some of them.

My mom and my grandma have a yearly competition for finding loose change and keeping it in a specified jar or tin for the year... My dad usually beats them though because he will find several 20's for the year and laugh at them for picking up pennies, haha.

I grew up in a penny pinching household even though my parents had plenty of money, haha. Go out and get yourself a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door".... That's how we live.... very frugally...

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005

I do.
I have dug so many zinc cents that finding one on the ground, just there for the taking is a real freebie.
I do not get out much, but occasionally walk pver to the local convenience store. I find change about half the time.
From reading the other posts, it looks like there are methods to maximize your take.
Hugger

M

mchamby

I pick up all change I find but when I see a penny tails up I always think of my mother first and what she would say . Mom would say that I would get bad luck if I touched it, after the thought goes through my brain I bend over put it in my pocket and look for more. I have had bad health over the years but I don't believe a penny attibuted to it. I found a dollar last week after gettting my hair cut, it was all wet and apparently had been covered over by the snow till that day. HH all
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread