Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
went out detecting today where I detect is my own property which is located in north eastern Arizona its a 40 acre property in a vary remote area.

I have two detectors one is the AT PRO and the other is the X-Terra 705 with three coils the 705 is the detector I use the most. I have three coils for the 705 I have the 5x10 hf coil, the 6 inch hf coil and the 9 inch mf coil I use the 5x10 on the 705 the most.

I also run in prospecting mode all the time with it set to all metal the 705 ground balances in the 20s to sometimes in the mid 30s I ALSO USE THE TRACKING AND A GROUND BALANCE OFFSET OF -3

anyway my question is today I went out to an area of my property and started detecting after I did the ground balance had a faint target that was different from everything else this signal was so faint that I could barely hear it in my headphones it would not pinpoint I dug down about 4 inches and checked the hole again with the detector it got louder so I dug down another 2-3 inches the target sound got louder but I still could not locate the item when I finally gave up because it started raining I was down about 12-14 inches in the hole and the 705 was still telling me there is a target there my question is can the 705 pick up targets that deep I was also using a Garrett pin pointer the pin pointer was not sounding off but the 705 kept getting louder and louder the deeper I dug.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went out detecting today where I detect is my own property which is located in north eastern Arizona its a 40 acre property in a vary remote area.

I have two detectors one is the AT PRO and the other is the X-Terra 705 with three coils the 705 is the detector I use the most. I have three coils for the 705 I have the 5x10 hf coil, the 6 inch hf coil and the 9 inch mf coil I use the 5x10 on the 705 the most.

I also run in prospecting mode all the time with it set to all metal the 705 ground balances in the 20s to sometimes in the mid 30s I ALSO USE THE TRACKING AND A GROUND BALANCE OFFSET OF -3

anyway my question is today I went out to an area of my property and started detecting after I did the ground balance had a faint target that was different from everything else this signal was so faint that I could barely hear it in my headphones it would not pinpoint I dug down about 4 inches and checked the hole again with the detector it got louder so I dug down another 2-3 inches the target sound got louder but I still could not locate the item when I finally gave up because it started raining I was down about 12-14 inches in the hole and the 705 was still telling me there is a target there my question is can the 705 pick up targets that deep I was also using a Garrett pin pointer the pin pointer was not sounding off but the 705 kept getting louder and louder the deeper I dug.

From one old coot to another..... Welcome to Treasurenet!

Depends upon how large the target is. Typically the larger the coil the deeper and larger target it is capable of detecting.
Smaller coils are better at detecting smaller targets but at less depth.

Also damp/wet soil will increase the targets conductivity.
Could be that mineralization is your culprit

My theory is that you were getting within a few inches of a large target (horseshoe size or larger) just past the range of your pinpointer.
Doubt that the 705 even with the 5x10" coil is capable of detecting even something as large as a semi tractor trailer buried below 16-18" no mater the soil conditions or the detectors settings.

Just to get an idea of your detectors maximum range you could do an air test with your car as the target and set your 705 in all metal with sensitivity just barely above threshold and see how close you can get to the car before you get a faint signal. Depending on soil conditions you will usually get more depth through soil than air due to conductivity, so the air test is only a ballpark.

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like prospector all metal mode best with my 705. If signal is getting louder something should be there. Did you switch to coin mode and see what ID number was before you stopped digging? That's what I do at least as prospector mode seems a lot more sensitive and deeper diving.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that is one thing i did forget when i switched over to coin mode i would not get any readings also when i hit pinpoint mode it is screaming loud in the hole

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your land, your hole, it'll be waiting for better weather.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From one old coot to another..... Welcome to Treasurenet!

Depends upon how large the target is. Typically the larger the coil the deeper and larger target it is capable of detecting.
Smaller coils are better at detecting smaller targets but at less depth.

Also damp/wet soil will increase the targets conductivity.

Could be that mineralization is your culprit

My theory is that you were getting within a few inches of a large target (horseshoe size or larger) just past the range of your pinpointer.
Doubt that the 705 even with the 5x10" coil is capable of detecting even something as large as a semi tractor trailer buried below 16-18" no mater the soil conditions or the detectors settings.

Just to get an idea of your detectors maximum range you could do an air test with your car as the target and set your 705 in all metal with sensitivity just barely above threshold and see how close you can get to the car before you get a faint signal. Depending on soil conditions you will usually get more depth through soil than air due to conductivity, so the air test is only a ballpark.

Go for the gold
GG~

When I am in prospector mode with the 705 i cant get within 3 ft of my truck without it going off so I don't think an air test with a vehicle would tell me much because to me that's an UN realistic depth, in coin mode I can get within a foot or so before it sounds off but not in prospector mode,its to sensitive in the prospecting mode, the ground is pretty moist here rite now.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your land, your hole, it'll be waiting for better weather.

yep you are rite there when ever that is been raining here off and on for about a week now

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Many years ago , with a garret A2b I had the same question and , a lot younger and sillier then ,I kept digging and at about 3 feet ,uncovered a piece of corrugated iron sheet ... How silly was I.. Nowadays with a Bug Pro i am aware of the iron content and would usually not dig.. but it still could be a metal Lunch-box, a trunk, full of great stuff.. Keep on going, or you will never know , and wonder about it the rest of your days... Good luck... Raining heavy here too, Brivic1

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many years ago , with a garret A2b I had the same question and , a lot younger and sillier then ,I kept digging and at about 3 feet ,uncovered a piece of corrugated iron sheet ... How silly was I.. Nowadays with a Bug Pro i am aware of the iron content and would usually not dig.. but it still could be a metal Lunch-box, a trunk, full of great stuff.. Keep on going, or you will never know , and wonder about it the rest of your days... Good luck... Raining heavy here too, Brivic1

I didn't cover the hole back so when it does quit raining I will go back to it the area I am hunting there has not been anyone there its pretty remote but the previous owner did say he buried some weapons somewhere on the property but could not remember as to where i have recovered his stash of new ammo when we first moved out here in a bunker he had built

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are pretty close to Meteor Crater and Holbrook both of which are noted Arizona meteorite falls as well as one in the Kingman area. Meteorites usually break up into smaller pieces during the final stages of their flight and create a fall field with the smaller pieces impacting Earth first and not always close to the main impact. Not saying that is what you are detecting but, in my mind, it is a possibility.

Keep digging and good luck!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could just be the soil is so conductive that is what you're hearing. I've been in spots that made my GPX 4000 false. I hope it's a big old Nugget down there, but it might just be heavy mineralization.:skullflag:

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are pretty close to Meteor Crater and Holbrook both of which are noted Arizona meteorite falls as well as one in the Kingman area. Meteorites usually break up into smaller pieces during the final stages of their flight and create a fall field with the smaller pieces impacting Earth first and not always close to the main impact. Not saying that is what you are detecting but, in my mind, it is a possibility.

Keep digging and good luck!

I have thought about it might could be a meteor as I have had one hit up on a hill next to where we are building our cabin.
My wife and I were sitting inside our motor home one night playing cards and she seen some lights up on that hill so I went out to investigate the lights and while I was standing there one hit about 50 yards from where I was standing

This area we are in there is a lot of strange things goes on lots of bumps in the night that you cant explain,I keep a pistol on me at all times and I am one person that is not afraid to use it the law wont even venture in here especially after dark and if you do call them its three hours before they ever make it out here and they have told me they have a standing orders to not be out in this area past 7:00 pm and for me to do what I have to do to protect myself and my wife so I do.

it could be a meteor and if it is it must be huge because like I said at the beginning of my post the signal I got was vary faint if I did not have my ear phones on I probably would not have heard it and I am down about 12-14 inches already and the tone keeps getting louder and louder the deeper I go

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing you'll update us once it's dug out.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm guessing you'll update us once it's dug out.

you can rest assured I will update if it ever stops raining so I can go finish digging what ever it is out don't want to fry my detector

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am in prospector mode with the 705 i cant get within 3 ft of my truck without it going off so I don't think an air test with a vehicle would tell me much because to me that's an UN realistic depth, in coin mode I can get within a foot or so before it sounds off but not in prospector mode,its to sensitive in the prospecting mode, the ground is pretty moist here rite now.

3 feet from your truck :o
I'm impressed!

I take back what I said about the 705 not being able to detect a semi deeper than 18" seems I was way off on that one.
embarrassed.gif

Please post what you find and how deep it turned out to be.
Also sometimes a valuable non ferrous target is masked by a nearby ferrous object that is close to or on top of it.

I have learned to dig all targets due to finding silver or gold beside or under an object that only showed up as iron or relic on the detector.

You probably already do this...... As a rule always double check the hole after a target is recovered. You dont want to miss out on a valuable target thinking the object you found is all that was there. I know that is a no brainer for any experienced md'er but you would be surprised how many folks overlook that tip.

GG~

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still raining? Or still digging?...Inquiring minds want to know.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other thing to do is make you hole wider. It could be something shallow and to the side. I have been caught by that more than once. Good luck and I hope you find something nice.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still raining? Or still digging?...Inquiring minds want to know.

It has not been raining or snowing but I have not been able to get back to digging to find out what is in there as i had to take my wife to the phoenix to go into the hospital for 8 days finally just got back up north today 2/3/2017 so hopefully in the next day or two i can update as to what i find

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The other thing to do is make you hole wider. It could be something shallow and to the side. I have been caught by that more than once. Good luck and I hope you find something nice.

I did check the sides with the detector and pin pointer when i was digging it but i will open it up a bit and see

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has not been raining or snowing but I have not been able to get back to digging to find out what is in there as i had to take my wife to the phoenix to go into the hospital for 8 days finally just got back up north today 2/3/2017 so hopefully in the next day or two i can update as to what i find

Hope she's doing fine. Maybe you'll find something nice to boost her spirits! Good luck on your quest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread