Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
went out detecting today where I detect is my own property which is located in north eastern Arizona its a 40 acre property in a vary remote area.

I have two detectors one is the AT PRO and the other is the X-Terra 705 with three coils the 705 is the detector I use the most. I have three coils for the 705 I have the 5x10 hf coil, the 6 inch hf coil and the 9 inch mf coil I use the 5x10 on the 705 the most.

I also run in prospecting mode all the time with it set to all metal the 705 ground balances in the 20s to sometimes in the mid 30s I ALSO USE THE TRACKING AND A GROUND BALANCE OFFSET OF -3

anyway my question is today I went out to an area of my property and started detecting after I did the ground balance had a faint target that was different from everything else this signal was so faint that I could barely hear it in my headphones it would not pinpoint I dug down about 4 inches and checked the hole again with the detector it got louder so I dug down another 2-3 inches the target sound got louder but I still could not locate the item when I finally gave up because it started raining I was down about 12-14 inches in the hole and the 705 was still telling me there is a target there my question is can the 705 pick up targets that deep I was also using a Garrett pin pointer the pin pointer was not sounding off but the 705 kept getting louder and louder the deeper I dug.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Checking the sides is a good idea, as stated earlier, as I've run into that issue as well, and sometimes that was the problem. How wide is your hole going down? For instance, I don't know if you're getting the entire coil in the hole all the way down, or just the tip? I have a 705, and it's a great little detector. Listening to those tiny or faint signals is a must, so congratulations on getting serious about finding out what it is because "you never ever know until you go" (all the way until you positively know what's generating the signal). It could be ground mineralization, especially in the desert, but have you tried holding the coil flat and level over the top of the hole the same distance from the target signal as when you originally started digging? Is it any louder than the original whisper at the top of the hole with all of that dirt missing? Before going to too much more work, I'd scan the sides of the hole carefully to make sure you haven't gone past the target (as Placergold suggested), then if the signal is still generating from the bottom of the hole, I'd make sure the hole gets nice and wide, then scan the bottom very carefully to see if you can get a "peak" in the signal, or as you tried before, use the pinpoint feature to see if you can isolate the signal. I hope it's a nugget the size of a baseball!!

You truly will never know until you've exhausted your options (ground mineralization investigation, target on the side of the hole issue, widened the hole appreciably to allow unhindered free use of the coil for signal peak i.d., etc.).

All the best,

Lanny

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Added to above.

Leave no signal behind. Double check the hole for addition targets.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well for those of you that are interested I finally was able to get back to that spot and finish digging out the target that I was getting a signal from it ended up being down about fourteen inches and to be honest with everyone I have absolutely no clue what it is to me it looks like a large grapefruit sized rock worked my butt off to get to it and when I got it out its just a dang rock of some kind the 705 in prospecting mode is screaming when you hold this rock over the coil I spent about two hours digging it out and once I did get it I re checked the hole and there is no more signals from the hole or anywhere around the hole, but that rock like I said when you hold it over the coil the detector is screaming this rock seems really heavy though also don't know what meteor rites look like but to me it just looks like a big rock the other odd thing about it is it only gives off a signal in prospecting mode on the 705 and my Garrett pin pointer does not go off either also my AT pro does not sound off on it just the Xterra 705 does

If I can figure out how to post a photo on here I will add one

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been following this post for so long waiting to see what it was. Yeah definitely post a pic. You never know.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been following this post for so long waiting to see what it was. Yeah definitely post a pic. You never know.[/QUOTE

When i started this thread about two weeks ago i guesstimated the depth I was at when I quit that first day when it started raining on me but when I finally got the rock out I went and got a tape measure and it was down 14 inches according to the tape measure

I will get a photo and try and post it on here its really got me puzzled why only the 705 in prospecting mode is the only detector sounding off on it makes no sense to me

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess we wait for the photo finish.

Does sound somewhat strange too me. If it's just a hot rock you'd think the AT Pro would also sound off.

Coin mode all metal the 705 doesn't see it?

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guess we wait for the photo finish.

Does sound somewhat strange too me. If it's just a hot rock you'd think the AT Pro would also sound off.

Coin mode all metal the 705 doesn't see it?

yes its vary strange like I said it looks like a normal rock to me and the 705 will only detect it in prospecting mode im about to take a big sledge hammer to it and see if there is something inside of it
I have switched the 705 to coin and treasure AM mode and it does not make a peep nor does the ATpro in any setting I use sound off on it or my Garrett pin pointer

starting to wander if my 705 doesn't have a glitch in it some where

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
don't know if I did this rite but here is a photo of the rock
It is setting on an air compressor just for photo

Rock.jpg

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried factory resetting your 705 yet to see if it still sounds off with the rock? Maybe resetting prospecting mode to see if it's any settings you tweaked in the past?

705_Reset.PNG

Is that the color of the rock or is it stained from the soil?

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried factory resetting your 705 yet to see if it still sounds off with the rock? Maybe resetting prospecting mode to see if it's any settings you tweaked in the past?

View attachment 1412612

Is that the color of the rock or is it stained from the soil?

I Did a factory reset just prior to hearing this target and got rained out then I did another factory reset just before I went and recovered this what ever it is and yes the color is what you see in the picture I will change settings in my 705 all the time just to see what the 705 will do on different settings but eventually I end up doing a factory reset because it just seems to run more stable with the factory settings the rock has dried out since I dug it out but basically that's the color it was when I got it out I haven't washed it off or anything I even checked it again with both detectors just before I took the photo and posted it and its still only sounding off with the 705 in prospecting mode and when I say sounding off its screaming loud and no blanking like an overload would sound
This thing what ever it is just has me really baffled

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also I weighed it on a bathroom scale and it weighs almost 13 pounds which seems kind of heavy for a rock of that size to me

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kenmitch I noticed you use a 705 also have you ever had anything like this happen with your 705

This is not a false signal it is a signal but just not sure as to what this rock is that is giving the signal

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenmitch I noticed you use a 705 also have you ever had anything like this happen with your 705

This is not a false signal it is a signal but just not sure as to what this rock is that is giving the signal

Nope. Never had a signal that didn't produce something.

The rock surface reminds me of the moon. Guess it's the little depressions that look somewhat like the craters on the moon.

You got some patients it looks like. I probably would have already smacked it around with the hammer a couple of times.

You could post it in this thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html and see if anybody ID's it. I'm no rock expert.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to take out tomorrow and set it on a steel plate and hit it with a big sledge hammer and see what if anything is inside of it

sqaush

Feb 25, 2015
arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it attracted to a strong magnet? most meteorites are.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is it attracted to a strong magnet? most meteorites are.

I have one of those SLYDE KING flashlights it has a magnet on one end and it is slightly attracted to this rock all over but it does not stick to it good enough to stay attached you can feel it in the pull from the magnet on the light though will try to find a stronger magnet tomorrow and check

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what will you do, if you smash it to peaces, and then find out it WAS a meteorite? Just keep it, until you really Know, what it is.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, what will you do, if you smash it to peaces, and then find out it WAS a meteorite? Just keep it, until you really Know, what it is.

If it is a meteorite its pretty dang big this thing is almost as big as the 5x10 coil on my 705 and yeah you are rite I probably should get it checked because that would be terrible if I did smash it and found out later it was a meteorite.
I do not believe it to be one though it just looks like a rock of some kind to me but I am no rock expert.

I am leaning more towards my 705 has a glitch in it some where,even though I have never had an issue with my 705 or the AT PRO
I thought it could be maybe low batteries in one or the other of my detectors so I installed new batteries in both and nope that was not it still the same reactions from both machines this is crazy and puzzling too me I have never found anything that only one of my machines would sound off on after getting the item out of the ground.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a meteorite its pretty dang big this thing is almost as big as the 5x10 coil on my 705 and yeah you are rite I probably should get it checked because that would be terrible if I did smash it and found out later it was a meteorite.
I do not believe it to be one though it just looks like a rock of some kind to me but I am no rock expert.

I am leaning more towards my 705 has a glitch in it some where,even though I have never had an issue with my 705 or the AT PRO
I thought it could be maybe low batteries in one or the other of my detectors so I installed new batteries in both and nope that was not it still the same reactions from both machines this is crazy and puzzling too me I have never found anything that only one of my machines would sound off on after getting the item out of the ground.

Maybe it's a frequency thing as the 705 does run at a slightly higher frequency depending on coil choice? What coil are you running on the 705? 18.75Hz I'd assume. If so does it exhibit the same behavior with a lower frequency coil?

I'm leaning towards it just a rock instead of a meteor. Doesn't really look meteorish too me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions