HOW LONG BEFORE GARRETT??

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my AT Pro and my Tesoro Cibola from the US to the UK last year. Both detectors fit easily into a standard Samsonite carry-on roller with room to spare. Breaking them down and putting them in the carry-on took five minutes. Putting both back together again took less then ten. For me this isn't inconvenient enough to justify compromising on other design features, durability or functions.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Manufactures don't necessarily need to design a fold up detector for every model, but it's a good move for an entry level machine, and maybe some fold up collapsible models for the high end air traveler, back packer, or mountain biker. Or to be able to just hid it easier from potential thief.

With electronics shrinking in size and with all the high tech light weight composites out there, there is no excuse for a detector at any price, to weigh more than four pounds.

If Deus can make a very light weight high quality detector that breaks down to nothing, why can't any other manufacture?

It's not that I like the XP Deus, and I especially do not like all the wireless and charging locations on the Deus, especially for the coil. For me, deus design has way too much that can go wrong at the wrong time. Although, I do like the wireless headphone part of the Deus.

Just my opinion

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my AT Pro and my Tesoro Cibola from the US to the UK last year. Both detectors fit easily into a standard Samsonite carry-on roller with room to spare. Breaking them down and putting them in the carry-on took five minutes. Putting both back together again took less then ten. For me this isn't inconvenient enough to justify compromising on other design features, durability or functions.

How do you determine that there has been a compromise to design features, durability or functions with out ever having one in your hand? Just maybe it is very functionally durable and designed very well time will tell.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What if you don't want an AT Pro or Tesoro Cibola..?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All plastic that can break easy count me out, I like being able to take my detector into the deep woods without worry about it breaking. I like a metal control box and shaft, something I can open up over and over again without it getting weak and if anything I would like to see more of it being made of metal. HH

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for me a collapsible detector like the 20, 40 , 60.. will make it really convenient for me in my work truck..

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All plastic that can break easy count me out, I like being able to take my detector into the deep woods without worry about it breaking. I like a metal control box and shaft, something I can open up over and over again without it getting weak and if anything I would like to see more of it being made of metal. HH

Metal is something you find in the ground, not something you need to swing :)

"New, high-tech plastics—such as carbon-fiber-reinforced plastics (CFRP)—are helping make passenger aircraft lighter, more durable, and more fuel-efficient. CFRP are made of one or more plastics combined with fibers made from carbon, resulting in lightweight, extremely strong materials."

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!! Just a joke to see if anyone was paying attention! My buddy said no one really pays attention anymore no one! Thanks Jason for helping prove him wrong!

Hell, I doubt more a couple of people on the forum even know who Jimmy is or know about the goat doctor.

pkirill

Jul 22, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, MI6 pinpointer, Lesche 40" ground shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that the compact design would be handy. What would be great is if someone could come up with a compact retrofit for the AT's. The straight shafts are nice but no space saver...

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bite who is jimmy.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked it up and very interesting story. Would love to find a place like that. Thanks

gmwtexas

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2008
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd. Enhanced; Garrett AT Pro, Sea Hunter & CXIII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, I've owned several Garretts but until they address weight, balance and ergonomics, there won't be any more for me. I cannot swing their their heavy imbalanced machines any longer, the sad reality of age has caught up to me.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Long Before...."one of" the other big brands...

My guess is not to long. Given the popularity of the somewhat similar Deus, This Go Find is going to be pretty popular with it's price, a real good move for Minelab.

I really like the general design of this thing, super compact, and light are big for me, as I do alot of detecting from a backpack on a bicycle.

What I don't think I like about it are hard wired coil, and the square coil itself, an eliptical would have been much nicer.

If this thing had a digital ID# and a 5 X 10 eliptical DD coil I'd pre-order today.

As far as the Brand bashing esp from people who never owned but one kind, let alone never touched this new model is rather childish. It speaks volumes about thier motives, and character in general.

For the record I'm not brand loyal, but Explorers, and E-tracks were too heavy, and didn't pack well for me. I have an ATP, I like it, and use it some of the time, but is not my favorite.

IMG_1459.JPG

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares what it looks like as long as it will find what you are looking for; isn't that what really counts? Do you judge a book by it's cover or by it's contents? Get real folks; It looks different but that is OK with me. I want to hear from anyone that has used it and done a SERIOUS comparison with any other detector.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Manticore
GoFind66
ProFind40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Tesoro asked what would you like to see in a future Tesoro detector on another forum 2 yrs. ago, on the top of my list was to redesign the shaft so it could be easier broken down and re deployed.

Oh well, the other detector manufactures get it.

Scanman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions