HOW LONG BEFORE GARRETT??

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apr 17, 2005
Detector(s) used
VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
350.00 bucks?? for a minelab? think the coil will be some 8 inches or less, so pinpointing will not be a problem at all.

G'day.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at that thing. Light, easy to swing, batteries will probably last a couple of weeks, digital readouts, and it can also read you blood pressure :)

Let me know when I can't walk behind you with an old Master Hunter 7X, a 1260 Fisher, or a Whites and pick up all the stuff that thing misses :) Yep, they are heavy, battery hogs, will break your arm to swing one all day, got them old analog meters on them but unfortunately an analog detector will do things a digital can't even imagine!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working with collapsible electronics I have found that things that fold up often break connecting wires.
Personally I'll pass on this detector and stick to Whites or garrett.

Explorers ,etracs both collapse with a coiled wire and my explorer is 14 years old and no problem with anything. One of the companies you mention I ve had problems with everything I've bought from them, as in 4 different Garrett products. I guess that's why we all have different veiws

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares what it looks like as long as it will find what you are looking for; isn't that what really counts? Do you judge a book by it's cover or by it's contents? Get real folks; It looks different but that is OK with me. I want to hear from anyone that has used it and done a SERIOUS comparison with any other detector.

You hit the nail on the head. Funny how much negativity when none of us know much about it other than the small amount available. But haters gonna hate.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The op brought this up in minelab forum also and they were running Garrett down in that one also. I like my Garrett detectors no problems and work just fine and I find a lot of great things as well. My point is why does someone see the need to come on Garrett forum and stir the pot and promote a diff brand.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

The starter of this thread wasn't promoting anything ... he only stated "How Long Before Garrett?".

I have wondered the same thing. When is Garrett going to start innovating with newer, lighter, compact designs for their detectors?

You need to lead ... Not follow ... if you want to stay competitive

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are doing just fine in my opinion and look at the pro pointer.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just crab your choice of detector and go hunting, instead of talking here, goodbye I'm gone.

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a can of worms .. ha keppy i got the Nokta Pointer Waterproof Pinpointer works great love it how is the dfx doing for you by the way i agree with you on the go find

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I agree that the compact design would be handy. What would be great is if someone could come up with a compact retrofit for the AT's. The straight shafts are nice but no space saver...

One of us needs to get to work coming up with a good retrofit. Ive been thinking of doing something like this. We dont HAVE to stick with the original configuaration , there are some modifications we can try. The only drawback I can see it the original coil cable is not made for a lot of flexing and movement and can break internally. That imposes some limits but maybe there is a workaround ?

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to see one like the french machine, deus, four different frequences from 4kh to 19kh totally wireless. I almost bought one but wasn't sure how they would work for gold so I bought the GAT Gold instead

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait and See

You hit the nail on the head. Funny how much negativity when none of us know much about it other than the small amount available. But haters gonna hate.

Does anyone know at this point if:

1) The Go-Find series will be a sales sucess? NO, although pre-orders may give some indication (who would know that other than a ML insider?)
2) The Go-Find series will be a good performer? NO (ML should know, but what was their judgement about how good it needs to be?)
3) The Go-Find series will be durable? NO
4) The cell phone app will be a cutting edge feature or a seldom used gimmick? NO

What is known: compact folding design and light.
In general we know 'light' has been a sales success - no arguing that point, look at FTP's Tek/Fisher, the Deus, etc.
compact folding design? - Don't know if this appeals only to a niche market or is this a design element keeping folks away from detectors?

The other design element that hasn't been mentioned much is the ID and discrimination system ... just from the screen shots and spec sheet, it's different. Will that design element be judged a success? Time will tell ...

None of the above statements are negative or 'hating' on Minelab. It's just too early to say, the product isn't fully available yet, the market hasn't 'voted', etc. I think Garrett is in the same position as most of us here, i.e. "wait and see" ... no need to 'hate' on Garrett either. Opinions formed by first hand experience with the Go-Find will be much more valuable than speculation.

I'm sure Garrett has a marketing department as well as an engineering department. They sure didn't let Whites develop a 'lead' with the pinpointer very long, did they?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know at this point if:

1) The Go-Find series will be a sales sucess? NO, although pre-orders may give some indication (who would know that other than a ML insider?)
2) The Go-Find series will be a good performer? NO (ML should know, but what was their judgement about how good it needs to be?)
3) The Go-Find series will be durable? NO
4) The cell phone app will be a cutting edge feature or a seldom used gimmick? NO

What is known: compact folding design and light.
In general we know 'light' has been a sales success - no arguing that point, look at FTP's Tek/Fisher, the Deus, etc.
compact folding design? - Don't know if this appeals only to a niche market or is this a design element keeping folks away from detectors?

The other design element that hasn't been mentioned much is the ID and discrimination system ... just from the screen shots and spec sheet, it's different. Will that design element be judged a success? Time will tell ...

None of the above statements are negative or 'hating' on Minelab. It's just too early to say, the product isn't fully available yet, the market hasn't 'voted', etc. I think Garrett is in the same position as most of us here, i.e. "wait and see" ... no need to 'hate' on Garrett either. Opinions formed by first hand experience with the Go-Find will be much more valuable than speculation.

I'm sure Garrett has a marketing department as well as an engineering department. They sure didn't let Whites develop a 'lead' with the pinpointer very long, did they?

If you read this whole thread and don't see people jumping to negative opinions I guess you don't see it like i do. As far as the pinpointed I have the whites and the new garrett at. The new garrett is defiantly better than the old one but I like the whites better so in my opinion they still have the (lead).

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about personal opinion. I've never used a whites pinpointer and don't plan to. The Garrett carrot works great for me as well as the old pinpointer. The reason for this whole thread was someone got bored and wanted to stir up something in a Garrett forum and set back and watch the comments. That's my opinion though.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying my comments aren't negative or 'hating', not saying that wasn't going on in the thread.

I have the original ProPointer and the Whites TRX PP and prefer the TRX, but I recently saw the new Garrett demo'ed and it seemed to be just as capable as the TRX and waterproof. I haven't personally used the new Garrett PP though, can't say for sure. Now I see the TRX is advertised as waterproof, don't think they originally were advertised that way. Did the TRX PP change or just the advertising?

Garrett's pricing on the PP is also clever, pricing the new AT PP $10 less than White's TRX and having the original PP $30 less than the TRX.

One thing to keep in mind that is true for all MD companies, resources are not 'unlimited'. You have to 'pick and choose' your development projects. Garrett chose to improve their market leading pinpointer, ML chose to try something new on the low-end ... can't blame either company for not doing all things simultaneously.

My point is simply we need to wait and see which choice is more successful.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying my comments aren't negative or 'hating', not saying that wasn't going on in the thread.

I have the original ProPointer and the Whites TRX PP and prefer the TRX, but I recently saw the new Garrett demo'ed and it seemed to be just as capable as the TRX and waterproof. I haven't personally used the new Garrett PP though, can't say for sure. Now I see the TRX is advertised as waterproof, don't think they originally were advertised that way. Did the TRX PP change or just the advertising?

Garrett's pricing on the PP is also clever, pricing the new AT PP $10 less than White's TRX and having the original PP $30 less than the TRX.

One thing to keep in mind that is true for all MD companies, resources are not 'unlimited'. You have to 'pick and choose' your development projects. Garrett chose to improve their market leading pinpointer, ML chose to try something new on the low-end ... can't blame either company for not doing all things simultaneously.

My point is simply we need to wait and see which choice is more successful.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out either. Seems any new product, doesn't matter who's there is a lot of pure,speculation. I for one wait until I've tried a product before picking it apart. As far as pinpointer go between the garrett at and whites they both seem made really well, I just prefer sensing only at the tip.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
wow what a can of worms .. ha keppy i got the Nokta Pointer Waterproof Pinpointer works great love it how is the dfx doing for you by the way i agree with you on the go find
Hi , razor .. I see you are posting here again . That DFX was more work than i wanted it takes for ever to change things around on it ..So i sold it you know i just like to just about turn on balance and hunt ... They put to much on these detectors now and you can find as much with a detector that does not have all that crap on them ..As you can with ones that does have all that crap and settings on them.. ..And you know that being a Tesoro man...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Looks like the first "GO FIND" in the classifieds only used an hour.

aaa.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread