How Long Did It Take For Your Detector To Pay For Itself ?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
NorthEast,

sat down once and started to work on your question. Cost of detector, accessories,
gas money to get to my locations, coffee in some small town, it adds up fast. Gave
up on that project.

Depends on how you look at it; I think my detectors have paid me in other ways.
The enjoyment was worth the price; a good find is just icing on the cake.

have a good un..................

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my new one in april have it about 1/2 payed off($850)..450 more bucks in clad and rings, got most this summer...about 300 in clad 13 silver rings 4 gold rings, 2 are 14 kt one is crushed other is 18kt plated and boat loads of crap,trash,pot pipes(bowls,one hitter)over 300 golf balls 2/5 gallon buckets of tennis balls, baseballs,etc.....

OP
OP
northeast hunter

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
dekalb33 said:
got my new one in april have it about 1/2 payed off($850)..450 more bucks in clad and rings, got most this summer...about 300 in clad 13 silver rings 4 gold rings, 2 are 14 kt one is crushed other is 18kt? plated and boat loads of crap,trash,pot pipes(bowls,one hitter)over 300 golf balls 2/5 gallon buckets of tennis balls, baseballs,etc.....
Sounds like the only think you have not found is a dead body

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
I HAVE BEEN SITTING HERE READING YOUR QUESTION.....AND YA IT TAKES A WHILE FOR THEM TO PAY FOR THEMSELVES....I BOUGHT MY XLT IN 2002, AND IT HAS PAID FOR ITSELF A COUPLE OF TIMES, NOT ONLY IN CHANGE BUT ALSO IN MANY OTHER WAYS....I MET MY WIFE ALMOST 3 YRS AGO, AND WHAT GOT US HOOKED WAS THAT SHE HAD BOUGHT A DFX THAT SUMMER....2002, SO NOT ONLY HAS MY DETECTOR PAID FOR ITSELF, BUT IT HAS GOTTEN ME A BEST FRIEND THAT SHARES THE SAME INTEREST AS I DO, AND WE ALL KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS TO FIND. STRANGE THING IS SHE ALSO FISHES WITH THE EXACT SAME SETUP AS I DO....WIERD...STRANGE FORCES AT WORK HERE....
HAPPY HUNTING
LGP
PS HOW COULD YOU PASS UP TREASURE LIKE THESE.....THAT IS KELLY AND MY DAUGHTER.....TWO OUT OF THREE OF THE MOST PRECIOUSE TREASURES

Attachments

• scan0022.jpg
    scan0022.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 523

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
monitarily the ace 250 paid for itself in less than a year....but i agree with sherm, it paid me in other ways as well. the enjoyment i had hunting was worth five or six times what the money was worth. now i just got the GTI 2500 and i imagine it will take a bit longer to pay for that one but, you never know! one diamond ring can change all that!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the others. The real pleasure is in the hunt. These little buzz boxes sure are fun even if they never reimburse us financially.

Besides, I change machines so often none has much of a chance to pay for itself.

Zeb

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
A detector is one of those items that you can't put a money value on---unless you're buying one for the 1st time. ;D If it gets you out and makes a beep once in a while, then it's worth the price. If you think, man it's just another penny or da** not another pulltab, then you'll get frustrated and put it away and forget about it. JMO

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My detector hasn't paid for itself yet.... just because I've never sold anything! LOL......

Too much of a packrat, I guess ;)

C

chrisjets

I have 3 children of my own and I say GOD BLESS! KEEP SEARCHING

F

FredMaxwell

Mine will pay for itself in recreation
I could dig up pop cans all day and be pleased as all hell

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
My first two detectors were second hand ?cheapies the first one paid for itself in two days it only cost me 50 bucks, the second machine a whites goldmaster 2 I paid 500 bucks for but on that one did even better I found a $1500 ?18 ct. gold egyptian ?bracelet with it on the first trip to the beach. Since then I have had lots of different detectors old and new whether I am ahead after all I am probably slightly. But I agree the best rewards are the friends you make and health benefits you receive. People who play golf pay a fortune for their golf clubs, and more money again to be a member of a club and then come home frustrated and ?upset because the havent played well. Detecting you go for a pleasant walk enjoy the surroundings and get paid for it what could be better.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Seeya Neilo ;D

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $40 for my first BH detector used on eBay, and $200.00 for my ACE250, plus batteries, headphones, a digging tool, and gas to and from hunts. I figure I'm into it for about $350 or $375 total. My clad finds in about one year total $82.64, plus a few hundred dollars worth of gold and silver jewelry, plus whatever value my antique bottle collection might be worth. I'd have to say in terms of value, I'm about even or slightly over after my first year, but that does not include the fun and friendship had and made along the way, plus the knowledge of local history gained through research. So I'd have to say all in all I'm way ahead, and that's just the first year alone.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
My detectors are like my kids.All three of my 'kids' are 40yr and older and even today if I give one of them a $20 to get me a $3 item at the store,I still don't get any change back! But,you know what? I really don't expect it back,it's just part of loving them,so I really don't think about recuping anything towards the price of the detectors.Just being able to have them is reward enough.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dekalb33 said:
got my new one in april have it about 1/2 payed off($850)..450 more bucks in clad and rings, got most this summer...about 300 in clad 13 silver rings 4 gold rings, 2 are 14 kt one is crushed other is 18kt? plated and boat loads of crap,trash,pot pipes(bowls,one hitter)over 300 golf balls 2/5 gallon buckets of tennis balls, baseballs,etc.....

Golf balls don't have metal, neather do tennis balls...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First detector took a long time to pay for itself till I got lucky. Next detector did it faster. Now I don't bother to keep track and just enjoy the time I have to get out and use it. You can't put a price tag on the fun we have with this hobby. If you have to figure dollars and cents to see if your ahead, don't forget to tell the IRS how much you earned digging in the ground. ;D

OP
OP
northeast hunter

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
I have to agree with you all.It definitely pay for itself in fun.But when you first get that detector you wonder if it will pay for itself.And when you first pull that old coin out of the ground or that ring or even that first nail it pays for itself.Right then when you know your hooked it's payed for.
Thank's for all the replays.Keep them coming
H H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread