How long does a metal detector last before.......

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know about time before degrading, but I bet some only last until a new model comes out :laughing7:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most of the components will last forever.however if one has a problem and senses the detector isnt up to par then he has to send it to a repair service,but MOST times a detector will last for 20 or more years without fail UNLESS you would leave it in a hot car or in the hot trunk etc as this will hurt some items on the pegboard of the detector or a phone or a computor etc.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I might worry more about the components put into detectors today compared to 20 years ago. Electronics manufacturers actually design in weak links to generate repair revenue and replacement purchaces, at least they do in entertainment components. With low-bidding by suppliers, detectors might just be as flaky as TVs these days and not last near as long. martin

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I might worry more about the components put into detectors today compared to 20 years ago. Electronics manufacturers actually design in weak links to generate repair revenue and replacement purchaces, at least they do in entertainment components. With low-bidding by suppliers, detectors might just be as flaky as TVs these days and not last near as long. martin
He is right here i had a Garrett Freedom two that i used for over 20 years ......and it still worked when i sold it..... BUT as you see the new detectors put out a lot do not work right out of the box...... or after a week or month they are sending them in for repair....

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got a Garrett AT Gold and I'm thinking my speaker jack port or the Garrett headphones are bad. Either that or it spits out a lot of chatter that the speaker can't handle on the unit.
I'm thinking old electronics were built to last. That's when a name stood for something. Now everything is on the cheap. I've even read comments of telling people to get the older detectors for those that are new. Not much to invest, plus you could get a real good unit. Just my two cents. Good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about time before degrading, but I bet some only last until a new model comes out :laughing7:

I know mine start looking antique when a new one is released :coffee2:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector (a 42+ year old cheapy POS) doesn't work any more.....don't know why and couldn't care less. The White's Eagle II SL90 I bought new in 1990 works as good now as it did when it was new. Same with my 20+ year old pinpointer and all my other machines. Sure, I've had some broken headphone and coil cords but that's to be expected.....especially with some of the areas I hunt!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a gold master V-sat that is 20+ years old and has been used and baked hot truck in the calif desert to working for 5 years in a wet underground gold mine in northern calif. still works great and is a very good detector.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My Minelab Sovereign GT i have now was made in Ireland.... so it is a keeper..... I am leary of buying any new Minelabs i think they are made in Malaysia....... I have the Garrett AT Pro but i don't feel comfortable with it... And then there is the new Tesoro Outlaw it seems like a lot are having problems with them........So i would say if you can find a older model in any of the top brands that you like.... That would be the way to go...... All these new models have is more bells & whistles............. And the older ones go just as deep and could be deeper than the new one's they put out now..................

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a general observation but the old analog machines pretty much last forever the more modern vlf machines with a micro processer (effectively a miniature computer) the degradation tends to start much sooner.

There's a fellow on the Canadian forum who has a collection of the analog machines and he tracks down stuff from the 1970's used that still work like a charm.

Regards + HH

Bill

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 40 year old Garrett that works just as good now as it did back then.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Back before 1950, there were some lower quality parts like capacitors that had maybe a 10 life span. they were made of wax and they melted over time. By the late 50 parts were much better quality. Most problems were tubes which lasted about 3 years. After 57 parts were top quality and a properly designed circuit would practically last forever. The transistor reduced the heat level in equipment. Problems started croping up when imported parts came into common use. The integrated units are so compact that they present there own problems. I would say that better than one in a hundred are DOA at the manufacturer. The connectors in these are thinner than a hair so any design problem will cut down on the life span. Oh by the way, few electronic units are repaired. The new imbedded circuit boards are repair by replacement only. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Back before 1950, there were some lower quality parts like capacitors that had maybe a 10 life span. they were made of wax and they melted over time. By the late 50 parts were much better quality. Most problems were tubes which lasted about 3 years. After 57 parts were top quality and a properly designed circuit would practically last forever. The transistor reduced the heat level in equipment. Problems started croping up when imported parts came into common use. The integrated units are so compact that they present there own problems. I would say that better than one in a hundred are DOA at the manufacturer. The connectors in these are thinner than a hair so any design problem will cut down on the life span. Oh by the way, few electronic units are repaired. The new imbedded circuit boards are repair by replacement only. Frank
Your right Frankn they are such crap they have to replace instead of repair.............

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electronics manufacturers actually design in weak links to generate repair revenue and replacement purchaces, at least they do in entertainment components.

Sorry, this is nonsense.

Just a general observation but the old analog machines pretty much last forever the more modern vlf machines with a micro processer (effectively a miniature computer) the degradation tends to start much sooner.

Sorry, this is nonsense.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, this is nonsense.

Sorry, this is nonsense.
I don't think so my older detectors just keep on running ....And my newer ones always have to go back for repairs ....... If we are talking about the same thing ?

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector (a 42+ year old cheapy POS) doesn't work any more.....don't know why and couldn't care less. The White's Eagle II SL90 I bought new in 1990 works as good now as it did when it was new. Same with my 20+ year old pinpointer and all my other machines. Sure, I've had some broken headphone and coil cords but that's to be expected.....especially with some of the areas I hunt!

I use the same detector - works great

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Compus 77B in 1977 and it still works 100%. Thats 35 years!

lem49

Mar 25, 2010
Repuplic of Panama
Detector(s) used
fisher cz7a pro, Tesoro Vaquero, whites coinmaster GT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ihave a fisher cz7A pro since 2000, it just started acting up, sent it to fisher, and was told that my coil was not sync to the detector, or
something along that line. A new coil, new battery contacts, and recalibration and its as good as new.

Take care of your equipment, and you will get many years out of it...parts fail over time, just like in a car.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of old detectors. My uncle has a minelab he bought in 90's. it's not working now and minelab won't work on it. Does anyone know of a place to find older components to fix problem.
I don't know problem yet, but hopefully will this week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread