How long does a metal detector last before.......

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the original poster - My units still work fine but then they were made by a reputable company that stands behind its machines and I mean close behind them. One of the weak points of any detector are batteries that are left in them long enough for them to break down chemically and leak all over. That will kill a lot of components!..........63bkpkr

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah they say if you're not going to use your detector in a month, is to remove the batteries so they don't leak.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
BATTERIES**********************************************************************
Only use top quality batteries and you don't have to worry about leakage.
I use Duracell, the copper top batteries. They come dated. They are good for years before you have wonder about them.
I have never had one go bad before it's date. In fact, I have never seen one leak.
The other option is rechargeables. I don't think there is a problem with them, that is unless you are using them in your 787 lol Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I guess the 787 is DOA for awhile LOL!:laughing9:

Rick-SeMI

Jan 18, 2012
Taylor, MI
Detector(s) used
<< Minelab Explorer XS >>
<< White's Spectrum XLT>>
<<<< Tesoro Tiger Shark >>
<<<< Fisher 1225X >>
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few detectors.
Purchased a Fisher 1225x in 1988 and in 2005 the On/Off Volume control died.
I called Fisher and they had one for 5 bux. I replaced it and it is still going strong after 25 years!
The others I have had no trouble with.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
After reading some other posts, I was really surprised to hear that Mine-lab doesn't work on detectors that are no longer in production. I have used several brands but have gotten fantastic support from Whites , So my beach and yard detectors are Whites. I use to have an old 500XL 2 Box from whites that I thought would live forever. I loved that detector, but lost it in a fire. I prefer the true 2 Box setup so I can separate them and use them to trace or follow targets in true 2 Box fashion. I wonder how many other manufacturers discontinue service on older models? Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY 1995 XLT STILL GOING STRONG

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theoretically but not mechanically. Lol. Ones thought by man. The other man made. Just not possible. Probably more so today since they want to save a buck and use cheaper materials. Wish it wasn't that way. Remember when your moms and dads washer lasted 25-30 years with minor fixes. Now (mine for instance) pretty much rebuilt whole washer (under warranty). And it's about 5 years old. I think man made electronics had a better lifespan than the mechanically made. Then, of course, there's the quality of material. Make it for 50 and sale it for 800.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
GarretDiggingAz, Well, I never saw mechanical linkage to a fuel system suddenly accelerate and lock on full throttle, but the new wire controls do it pretty good with electronics. I agree with you on the washers, dryers too. I use to get 15 to 20 years out of them. Now after 3 years I repair mine piece by piece. Your mark up pricing is a little off. I worked for a company that made a part for it's equipment that cost them $6.60 to make. They sold it for $660. Don't ask! Also you could repair things in the past, now you replace parts like whole modules. The new tec. manuals look like this. Replace mod. A, if it still doesn't work, replace mod. B etc,etc, New trouble shooters just follow the script. In the past trouble shooting was a logical process followed in extremely bad cases by SWAG. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck if you get 20 yrs out of detector that's longer than most marriages. I wouldn't feel guilty buying a new one after 20 yrs

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Normsel, If you were still happy with the babe after 20 years , would you feel guilty about dumping her for another?
The point is, why blow the money on something just because it is new. I still use a 13 year old XLT and it will match anything in it's class. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy quality over features and treat it well. Take the batteries out if you store it for a while. Never leave it in a hot car. Keep it clean and dry. It also helps if you can avoid driving over it with a motorhome...really, I did that once.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a couple dozen machines. None have given up the ghost but I had one that I wore out the on/off switch. It was one of those plastic covered, metal "clicker" style buttons. TTC

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GarretDiggingAz, Well, I never saw mechanical linkage to a fuel system suddenly accelerate and lock on full throttle, but the new wire controls do it pretty good with electronics. I agree with you on the washers, dryers too. I use to get 15 to 20 years out of them. Now after 3 years I repair mine piece by piece. Your mark up pricing is a little off. I worked for a company that made a part for it's equipment that cost them $6.60 to make. They sold it for $660. Don't ask! Also you could repair things in the past, now you replace parts like whole modules. The new tec. manuals look like this. Replace mod. A, if it still doesn't work, replace mod. B etc,etc, New trouble shooters just follow the script. In the past trouble shooting was a logical process followed in extremely bad cases by SWAG. Frank

View attachment 727759
Frank, I agree. My old Dodge with mechanical injection is by far more reliable than these new computer controlled, emission controlled diesel motors. These new ones are always in the shop for electrical problems....and it is never cheap. The old dodge is almost at 402,000 miles now and I think that speaks volumes:thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, the Dodge part of the MH has had no problems in almost 40K miles. It is an '03 chassis. The electronic controll in the Fantastic fan went up. They sent me a new control unit, free. The reed switch in the automatic Kewee steps went up. They sent me another switch free. The water pump seal started to leak. They sent me a new pump, free. It appears the American companies back there products. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, the Dodge part of the MH has had no problems in almost 40K miles. It is an '03 chassis. The electronic controll in the Fantastic fan went up. They sent me a new control unit, free. The reed switch in the automatic Kewee steps went up. They sent me another switch free. The water pump seal started to leak. They sent me a new pump, free. It appears the American companies back there products. Frank

View attachment 728324
Yeah, you have one sweet rig there, I remember the pics you posted. If it was much newer you would have all those awful emission controls on there. I am very envious of that rig Frank:thumbsup:

262jp

Dec 31, 2011
S. E. Okla
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fisher 1265-x is still going strong since buying it new in 1990.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Frankn. That's a small markup. Lol. I just read a post about a guy who took apart his BH LS. His board was 1x3. Basically the size of a memory stick for a PC. The body was quite a bit bigger. I told him the extra space was to keep the board cool. Lol
Then I told him the extra size was to also make ya feel you got money's worth. $30 for board, $30-50 for chassis (body), another $30 for rods. Then we pay $600+ for our units. Don't know if all detector guys are like this.
I saw a video about a guy who built his own. It looked like infinium. Was in a tube like 2" dia x 6" long. Looked odd but it did work. He just never said price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread