How to buy an item from Craigslist long distance?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made a mistake thought you were talking EBAY I have driven to other states to get craigslist items but I would not buy a high Dollar item and have it shipped. With Craigslist best to always let someone know where when and how you are buying and helps to have someone with you just in case there is a lot of nut cases in this little world of ours.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on if you are willing to trust the person who is selling. I only advertise in Tucson when I sell, last year I had some tools. Someone in South Dakota contacted me, I agreed to take paypal (friends and family ) then shipped him the item

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just follow the craigslist instructions for safe transactions:

Deal locally, face-to-face –follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.

Craigslist is not eBay, Walmart or Amazon. Hundreds of scams every day and the only way to avoid being scammed is to follow the basic rules in the link above.

Heavy Pans

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I'd buy anything I wasn't picking up in person off Cl would be if the seller was willing to ship it COD! Inspect the package then sign for it. I use postal money orders to keep the credit card & info out of the loop. Like Clay Diggins said it isn't EBay. We have people getting ripped off around here in face to face deals frequently. So, be careful!

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what its worth , I've had very good luck buying on C/L. Follow the instructions.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The only way I'd buy anything I wasn't picking up in person off Cl would be if the seller was willing to ship it COD! Inspect the package then sign for it. I use postal money orders to keep the credit card & info out of the loop. Like Clay Diggins said it isn't EBay. We have people getting ripped off around here in face to face deals frequently. So, be careful!

That's fine for you, as you know that you are (I hope) an honest person. However, that would put the seller at an amazing disadvantage! They could be out the item they're selling PLUS shipping costs. With all the scammers/cheats out there, I certainly wouldn't send anything COD.

Maybe a better way to go would be to enlist the aid of a bank or some associated but very trustworthy entity to hold the funds until the person has gotten their order. If the order is good, then the seller gets their funds. If the order is not good, then the buyer ships the order back, but doesn't get their money until after the seller receives the item(s). ...There might even be a possible business venture here for someone to get into on a national basis, with national locations. Buyer or seller could choose to pay for the service, or costs could be split if both parties want the service. ....Sorry, guess my brain went off on its own there for a minute. :tongue3:

OP
OP
V

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is that many sellers want to deal locally. Therefore I want to lay a charge on a company/somebody to act in my place as if I were a local buyer. So the seller won't be troubled with the distance.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive bought and sold from Craigslist! If I want it bad enough OR want to sell it bad enough , Ill drive to wherever to get the deal done , BUT Ill also take the travel into consideration! Ive only ran into 1 person here in Misery that was really kinda flakey so I passed on his "deal"!

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is that many sellers want to deal locally. Therefore I want to lay a charge on a company/somebody to act in my place as if I were a local buyer. So the seller won't be troubled with the distance.

OK, here is how I have worked it out in the past. There are 2 ways to get this done.

1. Contact the Manager/owner of the local United Parcel Service store and ask him to be your agent in the transaction. Explain to him the item you are expecting, how to verify the condition and operation to confirm it is what you are paying for. Ask him what the fees will be to package and ship the item to along with a reasonable fee for his services. Then contact your seller to deliver and pick up his payment from the manager. You will have to send the manager the full amount up front. The advantage here is that you are working with a reputable business owner and have some kind of recourse if the transaction falls through.

2. Contact a member of the local prospecting club or GPAA chapter. Preferably an officer like president, vice-president, or Secretary/Treasurer. Because they share experience they might even be more likely to assist you.

In either case, be sure to keep thorough email and contact records as evidence so you can get your funds back.

I have used both of these methods with success. The last time, I bought an antique/collectable garrett MD from Missouri and had it sent to me here in Idaho. This was the #2 method. Sent him an extra $60 so he and his wife could have dinner out.

BUT, always beware of Craigslist! even though it might seem like a bargain there might be danger. Here locally we ask to do transactions in the police parking lot. They have cameras 24hrs and a criminal is less likely to agree to meet you there.
Always protect yourself.

Good luck and happy shopping.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on if you are willing to trust the person who is selling. I only advertise in Tucson when I sell, last year I had some tools. Someone in South Dakota contacted me, I agreed to take paypal (friends and family ) then shipped him the item

I don't even trust selling here in Tucson on CL and when I do I always meet in a public place. Lots of counterfeit $100.00 bills floating around Tucson?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread