How to Get Permission (From the Wife)

Sand Scoop

Oct 7, 2006
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT--Excal II
My wife bought me my first detector about 15 years ago.It was a Fisher 1260 I believe. I think at that time it was around $500.00 and it was a great detector. When I retired and we spent time in Myrtle Beach I figured I needed a sand machine so I Ebayed my Fisher and bought a GT.I did feel guilty paying $700.00 for this one but I was never interested in golf and I told her in the long run would be cheaper since all my balls would end up in the lake and just think of all the rings I would find for her. I think she lets me because its good exercise and she doesn't have to worry about all the little chickees during spring break,I'm 65. I bought a new Excal II last year because I wanted to water hunt. I've been doing pretty well and she has a few rings she wears and loves telling people that I find them with my trusty Ol detector. I'm lucky that she loves going to the beach with me just to get a tan and we have made a bunch of friends there so she gets with the other gals and walks the shoreline finding shark teeth and other sea critters. There are times when its perfect for MDing but off we go to a shopping center. Like another guy said if I spend money she gets to spend money and so far it works.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Simple you must find something made of gold that she can wear. Trust me this works, if you can't find anything buy it, it's worth it !. Failing that divorce is always an option.

HH Robert.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
we are beating this to death but i think the post-partum thing is the answer. she has been thru a lot. let her heal. give her love and encouragement. enjoy her and the baby. in time you will hunt. best of luck. live,laugh,love!

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III
i told my wife that i have had a lot worse hobbies (or vices) in my life. she should be happy that it's an honest and clean hobby. after my wife tried it, she fell in love with it too. i'm hoping she gets rewarded and finds something good soon. she always excited when i get something worthwhile. good luck

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
gmsparky said:
i told my wife that i have had a lot worse hobbies (or vices) in my life. she should be happy that it's an honest and clean hobby. after my wife tried it, she fell in love with it too. i'm hoping she gets rewarded and finds something good soon. she always excited when i get something worthwhile. good luck

Everyone's situation is different. Things can be a bit trying with the new arrival in the house. Be patient, things will change. My kids are grown and my wife does not get upset if I disappear for a few hours during the weekend. I normally go out in the AM and am home by lunch or before. I still get my honey do's done and put my family activities BEFORE my MD activites.

Hang in there. Things will change as the family grows up.

Ray S

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on with the hobby. Its not you who has an issue. It sounds like an issue of control to me. You are not doing anything wrong and she still wants you to stop. Lose the wife.....and fast. Im serious. Once this hobby is gone...what will be next. I know this post will be met with the usual treasure net mental midget outrage...but I think your wife is controlling. Just my opinion. Tell her to mind her buisness and close her mouth.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not read everyones posts so some or all of this may have been stated before.

1. Share as much of the hobby with your wife as possible. If she will detect buy her a detector or have her just learn on your machine. Make sure you share your finds and excitement with her. Get her involved somehow. If she does not like getting her fingers dirty then have her do research to find good sites then she will share in the hunt in some way.

2. Having a new born takes a lot of work so if you are looking for a half day each week or a full day every two weeks you better be prepared to offer her the same. Maybe after you come back from your half day hunt she can go do something she enjoys for the rest of the day. She will be more agreeable to let you go if she know she gets some time for herself before or after your hunt.

3. Your wife most likely just feels overwhelmed and would like you around the house so try fitting it in when she does not care if you are there or not. When she is sleeping. With your new born they most likely have an early morning feeding at 4 or 5am. Do that feeding then go out detecting afterwards. Then when you get back do another feeding and take a nap with the baby.

My wife still picks on me for my hobby but I think she enjoys looking at my finds almost as much as me. We had people over the house this weekend and she started on me and everyone jumped in. After a few minutes of pile on John about his hobby she asks me to show them my finds. They were all amazed at the old coins, relics, gold and silver jewelery. I find that most people stop laughing after they hold a a binder or display case worth thousands of dollars.

I took my detector on my honeymoon and found two gold rings the first day. At that point she said get back out there and look for more.

This hobby is so great and I learn so much about history I can't get enough. When I learned about love tokens I knew it would be rare to find one so I purchased one on Ebay. It was an old seated dime that has my wife and daughter's initials on it and gave it to my wife one day for no other reason then I love her. She loves it and shows everyone that will look at it. If it was not for this hobby and T-Net I would never have know that they even existed.

Good luck and I'm sure it will work out for you.

NJ

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Jeez, there's no need to be nasty about it - seriously, tell her what ye told us - that 1 day every fortnight would be good and that she's been great with the baby etc. There's no need to 'get rid of her' just because she's had a baby and her hormones are everywhere at the moment. :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread