Our Local Landmark Burned!! 1874 School House

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Ok, not sure if this is the right spot or not... pardon me if it isn't!

I am the President of out local Historical Preservation Group, we were formed in the 1970s to take over an old school that out local Government decided would be better off bulldozed then renovated!! It is a school house the dates to 1874 with two additions. A month ago, there was a kitchen fire that gutted two rooms, severely damaged two others and filled the whole building with a layer of this nasty, oily soot!!! Talk about a mess! This school has been a great spot to dig over the years, my Father use to hunt it a lot. I found a few things there.. mercs, V nickles.. Buffs and even a few three ringers on the corner of the property! I just posted last week about my 10 year old son finding 3 silvers, a Buff and a IH.. it was in the old playground from this school!!! Since it is "Historical" I thought people here might be interested in seeing the whole process... our website is update every day or so of the progress! Tons of pictures!

We are a nonprofit and there are many mentions of donations on the website.. that is how we operate.. but I'm not putting it up here because of that... not that we would not accept them!! ;-) I just thought some might appreciate the history of what we are doing.

The URL is www.hillsborova.org

Also, as part of a memorial fund for my Father, he passed away last year, we are building 4 large display cases to house local historical items, including some of the relics he dug.. as soon as that is completed I'll post some pictures.. I have taken this on as my "personal project" so I hope to make really nice set of displays!

HH
MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread