How To Properly ID Bottle Caps With Garrett Metal Detectors As Junk

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I call it the "STOMP'N METHOD"

I accidentally discovered a way to distinguish old rusty bottle caps from coins also reading as bottle caps. I was hunting some real old parks, just loaded with old rusty bottle caps several years ago, and was ready to give up as many others had. Something was strange about those bottle caps? Once they were out of the ground, most would be sounding like bottle caps. But, the odd one, after missing it the first time with my digger trying to retrieve it, changed from reading as a coin to reading as iron or bottle cap. Why? My guess is that the copper or silver coins over time developed a layer of oxides around itself in the soil matrix. Some people have called it the "HALO EFFECT". And this developed layer changed the original conductivity from reading as a coin to now reading as a bottle cap. Well, if a person could break this halo while the coin was in it's original lost position, the conductivity should change it from reading as a coin to reading as a bottle cap or iron.

So, I spent the next hour stomping real hard on top of my bottle cap readings, and low and behold, out of some thirty bottle cap hits, 3 of them remained as a coin object, while the rest had changed their ID to bottle cap or iron.

So, in summary, if you don't want to dig all targets, or end up in a very old area littered with those old bottle caps, stomp your foot over the target real hard, the coin sounding bottle caps will start reading as coins or bottle caps or iron. Also, if you get iffy signals, the ones where the target bounced back between iron and coin, give it a stomp too! more often then not, it will now read as a coin or iron.

ssssssssssss (2).jpg

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What ever John...If it works for you go for it....swinging a detector in a Park is bad enough but swinging a detector and stomping the ground in the Park is another....I'm not that hard up to find a coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
What ever John...If it works for you go for it....swinging a detector in a Park is bad enough but swinging a detector and stomping the ground in the Park is another....I'm not that hard up to find a coin.

Good....that adds more sought after silver for me.:icon_thumleft:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good....that adds more sought after silver for me.:icon_thumleft:[/QUOTE....John you know as well as me that stopping the ground doesn't produce any more silver than not stopping it.......Don't make fools out of newcomers to metal detecting unless your able to prove your theories ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
"John you know as well as me that stopping the ground doesn't produce any more silver than not stopping it.......Don't make fools out of newcomers to metal detecting unless your able to prove your theories"

I am not making any fools of any new members or old for that matter. Stamping hard on a deep bottle cap reading as a coin will usually will change the reading to iron or bottle cap. Stomping hard on a deep silver coin will make the silver coin remain sounding as a silver coin. If you don't believe me try it. It doesn't have to be in a park and you don't have to look like l a fool jumping up in the air with both feet either. One good one footed stomp will do it. If you don't like the method, that's fine. You don't have to get irritated over some advice to save time leaving bottle caps in the ground. Man........take a deep breath. Others have tried it with great results.

On the plus side....hope you have an excellent year with your AT Pro in 2014.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ill Give It A Stomp Or 2!!! Have you Tried it In Fresh water Dry Sand????

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've heard of that too John. Whats wrong with "swinging a detector in a park"?

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ill Give It A Stomp Or 2!!! Have you Tried it In Fresh water Dry Sand????

I have never tried it in the dry sand or water. Only in dry dirt or grass. I am surrounded by snow and ice currently, so I can't even find any sand except from the box I have to throw on the ice in my driveway.

Last edited:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good....that adds more sought after silver for me.:icon_thumleft:
Hey John I will give it a try as soon as I can see the ground kind of white around here, what do I have to loose maybe a bad knee:laughing7:. Good luck snow hunting and stay warm!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done this in fields in iron infested site and it does work. Rusty nails give a good signal sometimes and stomping the spot gives the iron grunt. I dug a few after doing this and it was always rusty iron or nails. Thanks for the heads up John. Thought I was only one who did this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions