Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I’m guilty of not having posted any finds for quite some time, but I’ve been incredibly busy with digging at several productive sites, cleaning and ID’ing finds, training for a marathon relay, working in the yard, finishing up the first phase of a major project I’ve been working on for months, etc, and just haven’t had a spare moment to put together anything on my recent recoveries. So I’m now finally making the time, and I apologize for the length of this catch-up post, but it’s necessary to give these items the attention they deserve.

I’m not going to get into the specific details of any of these sites except to say one was local, and the others were outside of my normal territory. And they saw occupancy anywhere from the 1600s to the turn-of-the-century. But I only spent time hunting those spots that were producing something colonial, and walked away from several early 1900s sites that weren’t of interest to me. Multiple hotspots were located at each site, and the quantity and quality of the recoveries was surprisingly good. Buttons, as usual, were the big winner with well over 100 found followed by a big pile of musketballs of all sizes. But an astounding total of 17 coins were dug at these sites including 8 colonial silvers. And this finally allowed me to break the jinx on cut coins that has plagued me since I went to that “CUT SLVR” license plate last fall:hello2:. Some great individual finds were also recovered, and these will be highlighted below. But first, here’s a couple group shots of the overall finds made at these sites over the last month or so. The first pic was uploaded as a huge file so you can zoom in multiple times to get a good, up-close look at the items.

032916a.jpg

032916b.jpg

032916c.jpg

Next are the coins. The silvers are all small and many are not in good condition, but after a very slow season they are quite welcomed and appreciated. They included 4 cut pieces, 1 cob, and 3 half reales (2 are slicks). And the 9 coppers consisted of 1 KG2, 2 Va halfpennies, 1 draped bust LC (1798), 1 classic head LC (1810), 2 matron head LCs, a counterstamped LC (with the Roman numeral “XII”), and one slick.

032916d.jpg

032916e.jpg

Probably my favorite find overall was a Royal Edinburgh Volunteers 80[SUP]th[/SUP] Regiment of Foot button. This unit saw action during the siege at Yorktown during the final days of the Revolutionary War, and this one piece officer’s button displays an incised “80” which still retains much of its original gilt.

032916f.jpg

Another awesome find was this 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century seal matrix displaying a coat of arms that was identified by my UK friend Kev as belonging to the Fleetwood family who first came to Jamestown in 1609.

032916g.jpg

A long-time friend of mine also helped with another ID, and passed along this artifact to an expert who identified it as Jesuit fur trade type cross, although those are usually found well NW of Virginia. But this one could possibly date as far back as 1570 when the Jesuits were documented as having traveled up the James River, and made a couple stops, including in the vicinity of where the cross was found (not far from Jamestown), while attempting to establish a Spanish mission in the New World. That’s the only way I can figure it could have been lost here.

032916h.jpg

One of the very first finds I made at one of the sites was a Bristol merchant’s trade token dated 1670 minted in brass, and these are extremely difficult to find on this side of the pond. On the obverse are the large letters “CB” for ”CIVITAS BRISTOL” and “A BRISTOL FARTHING.” And on the reverse “THE ARMES OF BRISTOL (Coat of Arms) with a sailing ship going left issuing from a castle. Very cool find although it did not clean up that well.

032916i.jpg

032916j.jpg

Never found one of these before either. It’s an oval cuff button depicting an image of George III with the inscription “The King” across the top.

032916k.jpg

I also have never recovered a colonial book clasp, and this one could date as far back as the 1600s and may have been used on a family Bible.

032916l.jpg

This is a cool early buckle with maker’s mark “IA” on the chape, but so far I’ve been unable to determine the bucklemaker. It was probably a stud chape style buckle with the stud broken off, and probably dates from 1690 to 1720.

032916m.jpg

I always love recovering these mid-1600s fig-shaped spoon bowls with maker’s mark, and this one displays a lovely green patina along with a good portion of the stem. It came from a 14" depth.

032916n.jpg

This find isn’t all that unique as I’ve found several previously, but a late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century bullion weight is always a nice recovery.

032916o.jpg

I’ve really become interested in early lead tokens, and many just had random lines etched on both sides. But one I recovered has the image of a Spanish cross on one side and resembles an early cob.

032916p.jpg

Another couple of 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century military buttons found at separate sites include this early navy and CW era Virginia coat with a Scovill Waterbury backmark.

032916q.jpg

Lastly, here are a couple of decorative, gilted buttons that cleaned up quite nicely.

032916r.jpg

And here are a few other random pics from the field …..

032916s.jpg

032916t.jpg

032916u.jpg

032916v.jpg

032916w.jpg

032916x.jpg

032916y.jpg

With the weeds quickly taking over, and planting not far off, this may be the end of my season. But it was quite a way to conclude what was otherwise a rather slow last few months. Now back to my big project ….

032916z.jpg

Upvote 52

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..... save some virgin spots for me, I have to work for 11.5 more years!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great news on the ending of the cut silver jinx :laughing7: I'd say you pretty much clobbered it too! I zoomed and scrolled all over that first picture.... dont even know where to start man. Just a killer group from your last hunts. Those cut pistareens have a lot of detail too. I really like that seal matrix of the Fleetwood crest and "The King" cufflink. Too many awesome finds to take in... so I'll just revisit this post a few times in the next days so I can absorb it all. Excellent post and finds Bill.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
KaBoom! Bill D lays it on us.

Great finds Bill as always. That seal matrix is phenomenal and by far my favorite find. Did you try making an impression with it? When we talked the other week you mentioned Spanish silver but you didn't say COB. Wow! I also like that early small buckle. Great finds again and congrats buddy

Steve

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great news on the ending of the cut silver jinx :laughing7: I'd say you pretty much clobbered it too! I zoomed and scrolled all over that first picture.... dont even know where to start man. Just a killer group from your last hunts. Those cut pistareens have a lot of detail too. I really like that seal matrix of the Fleetwood crest and "The King" cufflink. Too many awesome finds to take in... so I'll just revisit this post a few times in the next days so I can absorb it all. Excellent post and finds Bill.

I was thinking about the same thing with the Jinx! lol

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Smashing set of finds Bill. Very well played sir.

The coat of arms seal is really nice and traceable to a family. Coins, buttons, buckles... wow and wow.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking Banner on that Seal Matrix, and possibly on the Rev War button as well. All in all, fantastic finds!

Also, I found a lead token that closely resembles yours the other day at my Pine Tree Threepence site. I haven't photographed it yet, but I will add it and some other finds to my thread when I get home from work.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin to tack ratio is exceptional, haha. Both the Jesuit cross and Fleetwood seal matrix are my favorites...for now. Like Brad, I'll be revisiting this Hume book..I mean tnet post and I may revise my favorite finds. Awesome finds CUT SLVR man!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Darn Bill, that is a GREAT post!!! Love all those finds. Good job and thanks for all the pictures.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill, your season really took off since your last post! There is so much to love there I don't know where to start, so I'll leave it at that (LOL).

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your picture of all the items together would look great up on the banner.

Wd Bill.

One word...
Incredible.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super, super, super finds!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap Batman! I think you outdid yourself Bill. It's hard to pick a favorite out of all of those great early relics but I have to go with the "King" cufflink-with the regimental button a close second. Congratulations and keep digging!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! My jaw hurts from hitting the floor so hard! Quality finds in every category, and old! The cut half (top middle in your hand) is is remarkable shape. Is it a cut 2R?

Congrats on a memorable month of hunting!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I've missed seeing your regular post of colonial finds but you definitely made up for it with this post. Congrats on an amazing collecting of saved relics and coins. Your research and dedication are nicely rewarded.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
INCREDIBLE!!!! What a great bunch of finds. That collection from a few hunts looks more like a lifetime collection! Awesome post. Super big congrats! Just awesome...can't say much more than that!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to get a name to the Seal - I think I know the Kev you mean.

I agree the book clasp is 17th C, & a better than average type.

The 17th C Token is very rare your side of the pond - congrats on a great bunch - too much to mention.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked in my book & the 17th C Token 'is not worth a brass farthing' - common at only ÂŁ8. But that's without your history to it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had already seen the 80th, but didn't put 2 and 2 together it was you. What a pile of finds, and that is an awesome button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions