hunted out site gives up gold ????

Messick81

May 6, 2009
for general info i have been using a dfx for about two years and have found some amazing things., but as most things go i thougt i should be getting things a little deeper. i went to the brands forum and ask for settings that may go deeper. i received a program to try. went to a site that ive hunted alot and tried the program on sat. for about two hours. dug up a colonial button and an 1864 i.h and a harness buckle. went back sunday and found a civil war button a very nice large cent 1846 at about 15 inches and the next thing i dug toke my breath it was a 1857 california 1/4 gold piece WOW. i called a friend and told him what it was and when i said it had a bear on it he said it might be counterfiet i will post pictures tomorrow maybe some one can help. i am happy no matter what, it,s nat everyday you dig gold . thanks

front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
!Back_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG

Attachments

• front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,276
Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Messick, you guys simply amaze me at the stuff you have found. Checking this site http://www.calgoldonline.com/eureka/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70 is starting to look like it might not be an actual California Gold coin, but likely a token. It still may be gold though, I'm still researching. Here's a quote from that site.

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.

Whenever you find yourself dealing with little gold pieces, keep in mind this one simple rule:

If the coin does not show the word, "CENTS" or "DOLLAR," (or any abbreviation of that word), the piece is not a California Small-Denominated Gold (CSDG) or Cals for short.

In this section, you will find tokens that do not meet the above "rule." Also, here you will find some pieces that are classified under "Alaska Gold."

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, update Messick, and good news. :hello2: Yours is 14k or better gold. Scroll down on this site to 1857Liberty#1 and have a look. http://www.calgoldcoin.com/bear2a.htm It is a token, but it is real gold, that is why it looks like plating is not coming off.

Bear2_OctQ_1857Lib_N1_obv.jpg Bear2_OctQ_1857Lib_N1_rev.jpg

1857 Liberty #1, mouth points to leaves, solidus points to A. Solid 14K or better gold, unlike most of these.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
That coin is AWESOME!

I Can't wait to find gold, I don't care if it's coinage, earings, fillings...I WANT GOLD!!!

~Tom

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there congrats.

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Banner Token Messick81 :icon_king: and great ID 72cheyenne :hello2:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Messick,
Great find...congrats. Now can you PM me the program you were using..lol. (I'm only half kidding...I'll try anything...okay almost anything)
NJ

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
i would like to thank everyone for all the nice comments and the banner votes. it,s almost over wellming to have somthing on the banner. also for everyone that wants the program for there dfx its on the link up the page. it realy works very well it,s just a little different to get use to. the sound is completly different than the pre-set programs in the dfx. thanks again and i will get it looked at by this week end

PAUL2006

Jun 25, 2009
OREGON
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
WOW AWESOME FIND

Attachments

• 174.gif
    174.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,617
  • sSig_cool2.gif
    sSig_cool2.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 5,597
  • 174.gif
    174.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,633
  • congratulations-1.jpg
    congratulations-1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 5,626
  • sSig_cool2.gif
    sSig_cool2.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 5,596

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

Weldone on making the BANNER :headbang: well deserved :hello:

SS

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your banner. After reading your post, I had no doubt this coin is real. There is no way any other type of alloy would come out of the ground looking like that unless it was dropped yesterday. It seems to me that the magic number for small gold is in the +9 to +11 range on the DFX. Your post confirms this. As far as the depth, my guess is that it was not as deep as the DFX readout said. A coin of that size will usually give a much deeper reading than the actual depth.

I will check out your post in the DFX forum to see how my programs compare. If it is radically different than mine, can I add it to my excel spreadsheet of contributed DFX programs that I share with other DFX owners? Thanks, and Congratulations!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will check out your post in the DFX forum to see how my programs compare. If it is radically different than mine, can I add it to my excel spreadsheet of contributed DFX programs that I share with other DFX owners? Thanks, and Congratulations!
Sure go ahead. :wink:
It's already on DFXonly and has been on there for a while. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread