hunted out site gives up gold ????

Messick81

May 6, 2009
for general info i have been using a dfx for about two years and have found some amazing things., but as most things go i thougt i should be getting things a little deeper. i went to the brands forum and ask for settings that may go deeper. i received a program to try. went to a site that ive hunted alot and tried the program on sat. for about two hours. dug up a colonial button and an 1864 i.h and a harness buckle. went back sunday and found a civil war button a very nice large cent 1846 at about 15 inches and the next thing i dug toke my breath it was a 1857 california 1/4 gold piece WOW. i called a friend and told him what it was and when i said it had a bear on it he said it might be counterfiet i will post pictures tomorrow maybe some one can help. i am happy no matter what, it,s nat everyday you dig gold . thanks

front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
!Back_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG

Attachments

• front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,276
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I have been trying to find out if it is an inclused side, showing the parts of the Lady Liberty on the Obverse side, but I just don't think things match but not sure, do have a few feelers out trying to get an answer on what happened. The most logical would be it is the Lady Liberty showing in reverse with a thin planchet being struck, but like I just said, not sure it is the same figure, if only parts of the Obverse bust showed, possibly it could look like that but I have asked for help from a few experts, hope to hear back from them.

There are many differences between the one that was said to match yours, I have still not found a match for it, so it could be a completely different version of one, whether real or not, I have no idea, cannot tell from photos.

I again strongly suggest you send the photos to the owner of that Calif token website, I am sure he will give or get a correct answer for you, including the what happened to the Reverse side.. Mike Locke ([email protected])

Very interested to see what he has to say about the coin. I have yet to see a Bear coin posted that turned out to be gold, so do not be surprised if he says it is not, but I hope it is, but even if it is not, with that inclused imaged, I would think even a brass or gold plated one would interest collectors....

Don
Good imfo Don :thumbsup:

http://reviews.ebay.com/California-Gold-Coins-Tokens_W0QQugidZ10000000002420368

SS

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! Congrats on banner!

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
Well folks i think we have solved the mystery of the face. I mean my friends Jeff and Elaine from O.C. MD. they suggest that it was struck a little hard from the back of the coin leaving a indentation. so i got the coin out and looked under magnification and it is indented from the back. what about that possibility

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find for sure -
The excitement at the moment of finding it will stay with you forever regardless if it is real or not real.
I have no opinion either way since I have never seen one before but here's some thoughts.

Possibly the photography makes things look slightly different, or maybe they actually are different - only you can tell. In addition to the raised edge around the beaded edge as mentioned above, what I noticed is the letter style or font for the numerals (1/4) seems slightly different on the serifs of the numbers. One token has slightly rounded, curved serifs and the other token shown in comparison above seems to have serifs that are more straight and almost squared off. The leaf pattern at each side of the bear does not seem identical comparing one token to the other.

Continued good hunting to you - keep us posted if you get any additional details!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question I Have,
are Both sides Identical in Color ?

Obverse Looks Bronze or Copper
Reverse looks High Grade gold (18K or higher)
I'm taking for Granted it's the Lighting,
But it's been Bothering me from the
Beginning :D

What's it's Thickness,
I Don't remember that being asked.
But since it is representing a 25 Cent Fractional
I would think Thinner then a dime.

Of course Since I Believe I'm right at it being
a Token or Jewelry Piece, It could be Thicker.

A Jewelry Piece could also Explain The Ghost of the
Obverse Showing Through.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Messick81 said:
Well folks i think we have solved the mystery of the face. I mean my friends Jeff and Elaine from O.C. MD. they suggest that it was struck a little hard from the back of the coin leaving a indentation. so i got the coin out and looked under magnification and it is indented from the back. what about that possibility

I am still sticking to my original guess, that a coin that comes out of the ground looking like that found at a site with large cents and colonial buttons is most likely the real deal.

What you said in your last reply supports what Don already suggested; This "incuse" sunken image is known as a brockage error. My guess it this is a rare error, but I am no expert.
Congratualtions!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Messick81 said:

I am still sticking to my original guess, that a coin that comes out of the ground looking like that found at a site with large cents and colonial buttons is most likely the real deal.

What you said in your last reply supports what Don already suggested; This "incuse" sunken image is known as a brockage error. My guess it this is a rare error, but I am no expert.
Congratualtions!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I think california fractionals were Hand Made ?
Meaning Errors would Be Plentifull

& I Agree Only Good Gold
Holds up that well underground

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, but since it is so small, if I had found it I would be doing a Specific Gravity test, having an accurate digital scale and beaker of distilled water and some thread and have at it. But the test is very sensitive and not quite sure if something that small would show enough differences in the SG to make a positive identification, but I would be trying.

I hope Mike from Calif responds to the email sent, I am still awaiting an opinion from acouple others I contacted, no reply yet.

Don

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I jumped the gun a little and I hope that I haven't produced to much misleading info by finding the link to the similar token without looking at the finer details, especially the faint bust right on the reverse. I still believe though that this is an authentic piece considering its appearance and how, where, and what it was found with. Messick has made some pretty incredible finds, including gold, from his sites. Wouldn't you be able to test this pieces' gold quality with an electronic gold tester, or will the testers read even if the piece is gold plated? Just wondering. Still a great find that I really like seeing up on the banner!

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
OK here is what mike said. He is pretty certain that i found a california gold souvenir token of the type made on the 1920,s-1930,s. it has no resemblance to any piece that was made in the 1850,s,so it is not a fake or a restrike. it is just a token that was made from a new desighn circa 1930. The outline on the back could be a clash mark[the obverse die smacked the reverse die with no blank between, this causes the out line of one die to show on the other die.

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
TO JEFF of PA sorry i forgot to answer your question about the color. yes they are the same color on both sides i think it was just the lighting.

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
I knew I had seen one of these before. Here is a link to another one bearing many similarities. If I recall correctly this one is authentic.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Messick81 said:
OK here is what mike said. He is pretty certain that i found a california gold souvenir token of the type made on the 1920,s-1930,s. it has no resemblance to any piece that was made in the 1850,s,so it is not a fake or a restrike. it is just a token that was made from a new desighn circa 1930. The outline on the back could be a clash mark[the obverse die smacked the reverse die with no blank between, this causes the out line of one die to show on the other die.

Hmmm. I have seen very few items that have been buried for that length come out of the ground looking like that unless they were gold. Brass, and even gold plating typically is discolored and corroded if it has been buried for a long time. I am still hopeful for you!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's an awesome find!! Two coins I still need, gold and a large cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread