Hunting the woods?

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
So I have a few spots in the middle of the woods that I would love to hunt and see whats around these old foundations, the only problem I have is that I'm still new to this and Im not sure what the easiest way is to do it. Do you guys only hunt in the woods in the spring when all the weeds are not present or do you just fight your way through them? I have tried but I know that I am missing alot of stuff im sure and getting frustrated with not being able to sweep the ground proficiently. Also any other tips you guys can give that I may not be thinking of would be more than welcome and apprieciated. Thanks in advance to any help you guys can provide.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on how much work you want to do. You can wait for spring and get in before the weeds gets to tall. Or you can take your lawnmower in with you or like have done a DR Trimmer. Gets the weeds down and even small trees......Matt

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try hunting in the all metal/nonmotion mode. That eliminates having to swing the detector much.
You don't usually get all the bottle caps and pulltabs as you would in the parks so your finds in all metal could be a bit more interesting, even if old iron.

I prefer early spring but hunt summer too if the weeds aren't thick. Fall hunting kinda stinks because of all the wet leaves packing on the ground which adds depth to your find.

If you use motion detecting, you can do the push/pull method as opposed to the side to side method. Works just as well as long as the coil is moving.

If you're in an area thick with weeds like goldenrod, berries and the such...unless you want to weed wack it, forget it! Those plants stand up all year,only to be replaced the next year by plants in-between where those haven't fallen.
Heavy snow just bends them to the ground.
And watch the poison ivy!!! It stays active year round. I get PI every year digging thru roots that I can't tell are PI because there isn't any leaves in early spring or late fall to identify the plant.

Al

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heres the best tip I can tell you short and sweet.

Take ahold of the descrimination knob.
a. Tear it off
b. hunt in all metal
c. dig everything
d. Learning to detect in All metal now when you are new is going to greatly improve your future success.

If you are in the middle of the woods hunting an old foundation why would you not want to hunt in all metal? Unless there is just too much modern garbage. Just saying. :happy11: Cheers HHHH

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Mobes, first thing to do before you go at your foundation site in the woods is to research it all you possibly can,and then have at it.Land records, surveys, Granny and Uncle Buck, etc. If it is a really old site you will naturally want to work it good and get all to be got. This may even mean you may have to get serious enough to get down on your hands and knees and crawl through the bushes to do so. Unless you live where there are none,(where's that?) this will call for some snake protection ,like leggons or chaps, some tick and critter dope, leather gloves, (for handling briars, and glass in holes you dig),and plenty of band-aids. That is for spring and summer. If you have cold enough winters the snake and critter factor may not be so bad. Down South where I live the snakes come out in winter on a sunny day and soak up the sun so they are always to be considered. If you decide your site is not so worthy of doing the crawl, just do the best you can at stepping down the vegetation to make way for your coil and always be ready for the unexpected stuff like wild hogs,bears, open(but covered) wells, in-ground/and above, yellowjacket/hornet nests, and even an irate land owner now and then, (if you don't have permission). Some of the latter have even been known to tote a shotgun on occasion.I know that from experience.That will do for starters, and the rest you will become acquainted with as you hit the woods a few times. Happy Hunting, Cass

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
4-H said:
Heres the best tip I can tell you short and sweet.

Take ahold of the descrimination knob.
a. Tear it off
b. hunt in all metal
c. dig everything
d. Learning to detect in All metal now when you are new is going to greatly improve your future success.

If you are in the middle of the woods hunting an old foundation why would you not want to hunt in all metal? Unless there is just too much modern garbage. Just saying. :happy11: Cheers HHHH

RIGHT ON!!!

rodbuster

Dec 1, 2009
Grant Park Il
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 950/ 6" excelerator- MXT PRO 6x10 & 12"- Vaquero\ stock and 6" coil ''
I am headed out to the forest preserves tomorrow.Fall and early spring are my favorite times to be out there,the weeds and brush are down and you are able to see alot more. The area I am going to has some history to it, and there is two pinic groves near each other so If one does pay off you have another place nearby to hunt. One other thing at this time of year, usually your the only one out there. It's be a busy year, hunted alot of of fun places and made some club hunts but as the year winds down it's nice to get out to the woods. No matter how many times I hunt the pinic groves and woods I'm always finding something new to look at . I also keep my eye out for bottles and sometimes run across a cellar hole. Hunting a park, school or beach is fun and profitable, but the woods is a new adventure and you never know what you will dig up. :icon_santa:

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mobes said:
So I have a few spots in the middle of the woods that I would love to hunt and see whats around these old foundations, the only problem I have is that I'm still new to this and Im not sure what the easiest way is to do it. Do you guys only hunt in the woods in the spring when all the weeds are not present or do you just fight your way through them? I have tried but I know that I am missing alot of stuff im sure and getting frustrated with not being able to sweep the ground proficiently. Also any other tips you guys can give that I may not be thinking of would be more than welcome and apprieciated. Thanks in advance to any help you guys can provide.
(sweep the ground proficiently) IMHO the problem IS: Don't try and sweep the ground proficiently...(sweeping is Not proficient) is just covers ground FAST and misses stuff...
Instead pick a 5'x5' area stomp,pull or whatever to get a clear area, use all metal mode and cover the 5'x5' area completely right to left left to right with the coil on the ground(or just above it) go slowly and listen.
Then go back to front front to back making sure you have covered every inch of ground with the coil. then move on to the next 5'x5' area and do it all over.
It will take more time to do it this way but & i mean a big( BUT) you will find a lot more.
Remember it's not a race (although we all want to find the good stuff QUICK) it's the slow and steady that gets the job done right.
I use this method with my tesoro "V" and have 100's of logging artifacts from areas that were thought to be hunted out.
In the desert is use the gb2 and use the same method but only cover a 4'x4' area at a time and have the nuggies to be able to say it works...
Hope this helps for we all need the help we can get..lol have a god day geo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread