Hurricane Bill: What if......

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw an update on Hurricane Bill and the latest track has it coming just a little closer to the U.S. East Coast, going between East Coast and Bermuda. Now first and foremost I hope and pray that it does not strike the U.S. or Bermuda, but what if it skirts off shore? How close would it have to be to take off some sand from say the Outer Banks? I am just curious. Could really open up some potential all the way up the East Coast if it tracks just right. I wonder if it is a hundred miles or so off shore if the waves would be rough enough to do the job? I don't live near the coast and really don't know, anyone with previous experience please chime in. When Hugo came ashore in Charleston back in '89 I wonder what was found on the area beaches?? Anyway, all just hypothetical as who knows where it will go. HH everyone. 8)

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that today the surf may be 10' to 15' that is one hell of a storm!!! Everybody and their mother will be at the Jersey Shore looking for something :laughing9:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they named hurricanes after women. Bill? Why not Hillary? Monty

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
rough waters expected all weekend around NJ so I'll be headed to the beach this weekend! :icon_thumright:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Monty said:
I thought they named hurricanes after women. Bill? Why not Hillary? Monty

Here you go Monty, lol.

http://www.chiff.com/a/hurricane-names.htm

The Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory (AOML)'s site explains that the first use of a proper name for a tropical cyclone was by an Australian forecaster early in the 20th century.

He gave tropical cyclone names "after political figures whom he disliked. By properly naming a hurricane, the weatherman could publicly describe a politician (who perhaps was not too generous with weather-bureau appropriations) as 'causing great distress' or 'wandering aimlessly about the Pacific.'"

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, oops! There I went! That Aussie had one heck of a good idea. I'm sorry, I don't think I could make it if I didn't see some humor in most anything. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions