I Braved The Bottle Cap Minefield, Check Out My 3-D Barber Dime + 1916-S Dime!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle cap minefield is a small area at one of my favorite hunting sites that is filthy with old steel bottle caps. I have been known to avoid this section because in the past it has driven me nuts trying to find good targets with the other detectors I have used there. Yesterday, having the F75 with me I decided to brave it and see what I could come up with. Man, I am glad I did! It is hard to get me very excited, but I still am today.

Incuded in the total for the day were, a 3-D 1912 Barber Dime, a gorgeous 1916-S Barber Dime, a 1947 Roosevelt Dime, a 1950-D Roosevelt Dime, A 1890 Indian Head Cent, a few Wheaties and a few modern coins. As for interesting relics I found a Toledo Transportation Club clip on medallion, and a part of a lead horse with a young boy riding it. FYI the Toledo Transportation Club was started in 1905.

I remember someone posting one of the 3-D Barbers before but I can't remember the information on it. I do remember thinking that I would really like to find one myself. If anyone has any info one the 3-D Barbers, please let me know.

I also included a photo of coins found on a couple of other quick hunts. On the top row there is two Indian Head Pennies and a flag pin. These three items were found when Mirage and I met up and hunted a bit one penny is a 1901, the other is a 1903. The second row is a 1888 and a 1903 I.H. and a 1943 Mercury Head dime found on a different hunt, and I am just getting around to posting these.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,017
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your kind words and compliments!

Good hunting to you,
Steve

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic ,finds to be proud of. I would like a 3d barber.I wonder how they made them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
Fantastic ,finds to be proud of. I would like a 3d barber.I wonder how they made them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you, and I believe they put the coin in some sort of press. I always wanted to find one after I saw a dug one several years ago. You couldn't kick the smile off my face when I saw it.

Steve

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
Goldiver said:
I remember someone posting one of the 3-D Barbers before but I can't remember the information on it. I do remember thinking that I would really like to find one myself. If anyone has any info one the 3-D Barbers,
please let me know.

These coins are referred to as Pop-outs. Many of these were made during the Panama Pacific Exposition.
A vendor would make these from real coins by using some type of die. You would furnish a coin, and for a fee he would make it into what you see here. Some were made into rings. The one I found was also a 1912 Barber dime with a steel pin added to it. Although the pin has rust on it, it was intact. There are known examples of gold coins like this as well as Indian head cents. The larger denominations and those that were made into nice jewelry command the highest prices.
There was a thread on these a year or two ago.
Very nice find!

HH

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
Re: I Braved The Bottle Cap Minefield, Check Out My 3-D Barber Dime + 1916-S Dim

cool pop-out dime. never seen anything like that before. sweet shark teeth. :thumbsup:

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
I always thought the figure on the "barbers" was the profile of a man not a woman. Of course the woman is nicer to look at.

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bk said:
BuckleBoy said:
Goldiver said:
I remember someone posting one of the 3-D Barbers before but I can't remember the information on it. I do remember thinking that I would really like to find one myself. If anyone has any info one the 3-D Barbers,
please let me know.

These coins are referred to as Pop-outs. Many of these were made during the Panama Pacific Exposition.
A vendor would make these from real coins by using some type of die. You would furnish a coin, and for a fee he would make it into what you see here. Some were made into rings. The one I found was also a 1912 Barber dime with a steel pin added to it. Although the pin has rust on it, it was intact. There are known examples of gold coins like this as well as Indian head cents. The larger denominations and those that were made into nice jewelry command the highest prices.
There was a thread on these a year or two ago.
Very nice find!

HH

Thanks for the additional info bk!!

Steve

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That 3-D dime is way to cool!!! That has got to be another one of my favorite coins! :thumbsup: Congratulations on braving pull-tab city! Keep up the hunting! Maybe if you go back there and clean up only pull tabs then more awesome finds will come your way!!! :thumbsup: ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions