I cant find the signals my detector is giving?

Minimal

Greenie
Jan 2, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the signals my detector is giving?

So I am new to metal detecting and I almost every signal my detector gives off and that I dig, I can't find whatever the item was. I know some of the signals may have been false ones, but surely they can't all be. One thing that may be making it harder for me is that I do not have something like a pro pointer yet. Does anyone know what may wrong and/or any tips to help me find the signals?

PS I am using a Garrett ACE 350

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie is right on with the "x-ing" technique.

I know that the pin pointer is expensive, but man o man does it make target recovery easier. The first few time I went out MDing, I did not have been, but really didn't know any better. After I got a pin pointer, it was a lot easier.

Welcome and good luck!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice pinpointing with your metal detector in your yard with a buried coin of known depth. Mark the locations with golf tees, toothpicks, plastic sporks or whatever. Just make sure you know where they're at and approximate depth. Pay attention to exactly how your loop is oriented over the target when you are getting the strongest signal in pinpoint mode while making an "X" over the target. It takes some practice, but you'll be a pro in short order.

Buy a Garret Pro-Pointer (or similar) and use it. I initially tried to metal detect without one after the sticker shock of buying my new detector. It isn't worth the time or hassle digging through the clump when you can find it so much quicker with a pro-pointer. Even with deeper targets, you'll turn a minutes job into seconds.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree, no offense. The 350 doesn't come with a concentric coil it comes with a double D. The wiggle actually works for all coil shapes- DD, concentric, elliptical, spider

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Minimal,

You may have one or a combination of issues. First, turn down the sensitivity (2 - 3 bars), it is not linear and people tend to set it too high for the ground matrix or surrounding EMI. Build a test bed in your back yard and practice pin pointing, DD coils are different than concentric coils. Purchase a good quality pin pointer. Lastly, remove your coil cover and clean and dirt, sand...etc. out. Do this when needed, but I clean after every three or four hunts unless working in a dirty environment. One final thought, slow down! Remember the saying "Low and slow" referring to the coils height and speed.

Happy Hunting in 2015!

Best Regards

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good advice here. Repeatable signal is key, from 90 degree opposite directions. Also the above mentioned decrease of sensitivity is a very good idea, also look to see if there are power lines around that could be causing interference. Patience and keep after it. Good Luck.

Feb 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 350 & its a good machine. Since u don't have a pinpointer id suggest using the tried and true method of grabbing the dirt the detector shows its in and keeping swinging handfuls over your coil till you locate the handful that has the target. Deteknix makes the Xpointer, a very good pinpointer for $90 or less if you are looking to save money..i use one instead of my Garrett propointer.

I just purchased the pointer. I'm very happy with it and it will pick some items up 4" or more away. Also will not false if it is flexed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread