I found a Dietz No 3 Tubular Globe Street Lamp in the dump today! Way cool!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to the same property as where I found the Krugerrand in search of the older section of the property where occupation has been since the early 1800's. I was mostly using my 4' probe testing different areas for the old dump site, and in the process, I dug 3 parts to a Dietz No 3 Tubular Globe Gas Street Lamp! The globe is light amethyst color, and the body is extremely fragile, and the bottom of the oil tank is completely rotted away, I brought it all home and immediately slathered it all with rust converter. It still retains much of it's original Charleston Green paint, but much is cracked and peeling off. I am trying to save all of its patina and character and I am going to try to stabilize and preserve it to make a post lamp out of it, although I will convert it to electric.
Dietz introduced the #3 Globe Tubular Street Lamp in 1880.

Attachments

• dietz1.jpg
    dietz1.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 71
  • dietz2.jpg
    dietz2.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 54
  • dietz3.jpg
    dietz3.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 56
  • dietz5.jpg
    dietz5.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 58
  • dietz6.jpg
    dietz6.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 22

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
really cool!!!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! I'd bet those globes are the "weak-link" and possess a great deal of the value, maybe the metal body of one missing the globe could be found affordably somewhere? Much more classy for outdoor nighttime festivities than a tiki-torch! 8-)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For some reason I can see this lamp working again if you have a hand in it :icon_thumleft: Nice snag!!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you show us photos of your completed project. That will make a beautiful lamp post.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool relic in good shape, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool relic in good shape, congrats! :occasion14:

Thanks Professor! The photos shown are after it was cleaned and treated with rust converter, which makes it look to be in much better shape than it really is. It is rusted through in quite a few places, and the entire bottom of the oil tank is rotted away. The whole thing is kinda fragile, and it will take a bit of work to stabilize and restore it, but it is quite salvageable. I am looking for an older style post that I can use with it.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I am making progress! :hello2: Just about finished working on the lantern, and have located an old lamp post to mount it on. I have poured a concrete base and run the wire, now all I have to do is pick up the post, bolt it down, and mount the lantern to it. Should have it finished up tomorrow!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread