✅ SOLVED I Found a Treasure Map but is this Gypsy Graves Handwriting?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone. I was at my storage warehouse when I noticed a pile of books sticking out the top of the dumpster. It appears they cleaned out someones storage warehouse that didn't pay. This happens all the time. Being a person that likes to read and sell junk on eBay, I took a pile of books home. They were all about Archaeology. Inside one of the books entitled "the People Who Discovered Colombus, The Prehistory of the Bahamas" I discovered a hand written treasure map describing a cave "70 feet deep and has more stuff of value than we have any idea of!"

My first clue to the origin of these Archaeology books comes from an inscription written inside a book "Donated to the Graves Museum of Archaeology and Natural History."

20190423_210919_Film4.jpg 20190423_210405_Film4.jpg 20190423_211113_Film4.jpg

The Graves Museum closed its doors in 2004. A bankruptcy judge later approved the museum's plan to donate its collections to Broward College and Florida State University and dissolve its governing board. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-graves-museum-brow100-20150607-story.html

Inside the Bahamas book was a 4 page hand written letter describing the search of a cave with some hand written maps! I still havent read it all but it describes in detail a trip from Miami to San Salvador, Bahamas in search of something old and valuable. My question to the group. Inside the book is the name of the famous archaeologist Gypsy C. Graves. Is this her signature or her handwriting? Does this mean she owned this book? Could she be the person that wrote the treasure maps? That would certainly add credibility. I hope this works because Im on a very weak WIFI hotspot and Im out of data..

20190423_224956_Film4.jpg 20190423_225054_Film4.jpg

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
22nd October
Fight For Gold In San Sal
By Stephen Gay
COCKBURN TOWN, San Salvador – Authorities have ordered two local families to vacate a site on Fortune Hill where they have been digging for gold and other treasure they believe is buried at the site.
The order came down Friday afternoon from the island’s Chief Administrator Jordan Ritchie, who told the Bahama Journal that he asked a police inspector who had been assigned specifically to keep the peace as it relates to this matter to carry out that order.

In addition to having to vacate the digging site, members of the Black family were ordered to fill in the portion of land that they had excavated.

The order to vacate the site came on Friday October 19th, 2007. My letter ends on Oct 18th, 2007. So I have it all! I have a detailed explanation of events and notes with maps that took place on this dig from the Fort Lauderdale Archaeologist on site Gypsie Graves. There is no more notes. This is it! It may have some value after all. :blackbeard: :tchest:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am convinced these notes/maps were written by Gypsy Graves and she was the Archaeologist on site for the 3 day Fortune Hill dig. So Im near to a green check. Here is more evidence. A bookmark found in one of the Egyptian books is a match to the signature in the Columbus book.

gypsy graves signature.jpg

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talking with some islanders this morning but the cell service is horrible. I'm pretty sure you have nailed the waitling group down, and that's them. I believe it was John Patterson who rubbed every one the wrong way and was the one who stirred the pot. My memory is vague and it could have been Jim Miller, but 1 or 2 from that group really got the gold fever going and had the island in an uproar. I just remember one of them wearing his Indiana Jones gear complete with big cowboy hat. I remember talking with one of them and him assuring me there was something there from there gpr readings. He tried to befriend us and gain some trust with the islanders. He would come and drink with the crew and then start in about the treasure and how rich everyone was gonna be. Soon everyone could see he was working both sides and he quickly found himself in trouble with both sides. I was there for the meeting and one of my close friends had to be restrained from physically beating him up. he actually retreated from the meeting under a hail of verbal abuse and physical threats. I just remember everything breaking down and everything coming to a halt. Once I get a good connection I can straighten out the names. I'm pretty sure that elle may Jones was one of the last islanders alive who had actually seen some of the gemstones also. The black Beale family has always been involved in the hunt and I guess I find my self aligned on that side of the battle lines. I tried to get another look at the dagger in 08 and it had disappeared. I was told it had been sold but I have a suspicion that it is secreted somewhere on the island. That piece alone would have been worth a fortune and was a very special piece. After the meeting it disappeared never to be seen again. I believe you do have gypsy graves notes and I'll find out if there is interest in them. The Williams family Kevin, Jason, and Michelle own the riding rock marina and there heavy equipment from the marina has been used to dig, they have the biggest backhoe on the island. I spent alot of time on the hill in 98 looking, and again in 03, 04, and 05. By the end of 05 the feud was heating up and I shifted to another spot of interest discovered on an old chart. Much like oak island I quickly learned that the real treasures that i could find without conflict were locked in the ruins, foundations, and rock walls of the many loyalist plantations scattered throughout the island. This island is hot and I search for ambergris as my main focus when I'm here. I'm gonna try to call again in a half hour. Cell service on the island is spotty at best. I'll try on what's app.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure mrs blacks son who is very involved would be interested to name just one. I'm trying to straighten out some names and dates but I'm having to do it through texts. Your at the ends of the earth on this island. Next stop Spain!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm pretty sure you have nailed the waitling group down, and that's them. I believe it was John Patterson who rubbed every one the wrong way and was the one who stirred the pot. My memory is vague and it could have been Jim Miller, but 1 or 2 from that group really got the gold fever going and had the island in an uproar.
I dont think think I have the Watling group. This is OCT 2007 and the Waitling group was over a year before.

The Bethels are claiming that the Black family was encroaching on their land in search of what some involved believe is a $4 billion treasure hidden in some 47 acres of land in Fortune Hill.

The land in question is the same parcel of land that was at the centre of a headline-grabbing dispute over a year ago between the Bethel family and the Watlings Archeological Research Company.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-news/61928-4-billion-treasure-fortune-hill.html

John Patterson may be from the Watling Group. I still dont know who Richard is. He is the person that claims to have the investors ready to spend millions. He may have been part of the Waitling group working incognito. The names in my notes consist of many of the characters involved. Its almost a whos who book of Fortune Hill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think I know who Richard is.

According to Cottis, a Florida archaeologist has been engaged to monitor the planned excavation, which will be conducted by Richard Clem of C & H Salvage in Fort Lauderdale. It was Clem who began digging at the Fortune Hill site on Black-Beal's behalf over the holidays, until he was stopped by the government because he had no permit from the AMMC.
https://www.bahamapundit.com/2011/02/treasure-islandsan-salvadors-gold-fever.html

...and the Florida Archaeologist is Gypsy Graves! SOLVED

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
...billions in gold, silver and gems believed to lie in a collapsed cave at Fortune Hill, on the island's barren east coast.
https://www.bahamapundit.com/2008/10/could-san-salva.html

And there is a lot more we dont yet know but cross another name off the list. Its the backhoe operator Mr. Rolle! Local historian Cliff Fernander told Tough Call that back in the 1960s, a friend named James Rolle (now deceased) told him about gold bars he had found in a cave as a child. Although Fernander searched for the treasure energetically with both dynamite and excavators, he eventually had to give up. But the story did not die.

Do you think Mr. Rolle knew exactly where to dig?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
John Patterson

But Tinker had authorized excavations by an earlier treasure hunting group which caused a similar stir in 2006. That initiative was led by an American electrical engineer named Don Patterson, who heads a company called Old Charter Salvage that claims half a century of archaeological and treasure recovery experience using "the world's most advanced geological/geophysical test equipment."

Patterson's permit was revoked when the recovery attempt collapsed due to intense squabbling over conflicting land claims. But it is said that radar penetration and molecular analysis confirmed the existence of non-ferrous metal deposits in Fortune Hill.

On his website (www.oldcharter.com), Patterson says he is waiting on a resolution to the title dispute to relaunch his expedition: "We have collected numerous stories and traditions concerning the presence of treasures on the island through extensive personal interviews with residents who, long ago, have actually seen and touched these treasures in the island's cave system in their youth. All accounts are consistent as to specific location, and we have identified numerous excellent targets."

He describes the treasure as "huge caches of gold, silver, and gems".

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you cant !! Let's go !!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those maps are hot if there from Patterson's
group, His group had the data, that's definitely the guy with the Indiana Jones attitude, and look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the squabble was also over division of spoils too. He was low balling Gov. And others. Fernander I think I know as snake eyes. He runs a shuttle bus on the island, if hes still alive. I think he is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Those maps are hot if there from Patterson's
group, His group had the data, that's definitely the guy with the Indiana Jones attitude, and look.

My handwritten maps? No they are not from Pattersons group. They are hand written notes by the Archaeologist on site (Gypsy Graves) describing in detail the events that occurred Oct 16th,17th and 18th of 2007.. She describes how John Patterson met her in a bar and the next day he tried to get into the site but Mrs. Black said no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that he was there during the dig because they using his data, or very close to his readings but who knows. I was told he was there but was forced to stay over the property line to watch the dig. My friends feigned friendship I think pumping him for info, but they did not like him. Nor did i he was cocky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My handwritten maps? No they are not from Pattersons group. They are hand written notes by the Archaeologist on site Gypsy Graves. She describes how John Patterson met her in a bar and the next day he tried to get into the site but Mrs. Black said no.

That sounds really right he was always carousing at the bar, he told me he was part of a group from texas.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know he was very interested in that dig.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what about Jake jones.....I think he might have been at another site down island at gold dust pond.....wich isn't even listed on modern charts. I've always called the island treasure island.....think about it....it was the first island that Columbus landed at and was known to have fresh water and game. It was a stopping point from that day on. Funny how you dont here about it throughout the pirate era yet it was known and settled throughout that time. If ex Buccaneers held it it was a strong hold. A plantation home with fireing slits ??? This island has so many secrets its mind blowing. Just take a look from Google earth at all the ruins and rock walls crisscrossing the island.we know the Spanish came back and stripped the island clean of the Indians so people were here from the beginning of the new world.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I always thought that he was there during the dig because they using his data, or very close to his readings but who knows. I was told he was there but was forced to stay over the property line to watch the dig. My friends feigned friendship I think pumping him for info, but they did not like him. Nor did i he was cocky.

Yes he was there. Here is a notation about him:
D. Patterson + partner ?????? wanted to video site. Mrs. Black said NO. 4 strangers appeared + were chased off. guess everyone on island knows about the site. We have permit until Oct. 23rd.

Gypsy Graves D. Patterson.jpg

This notation is not even 2 inches square. i cant decipher the words after partner. Lots of it is scribbling but hey who keeps better records of a dig than an Archaeologist? This is obviously the real thing. Its an original. I have no idea if any copies exist. It describes caves and tunnels on the map. It also says Rolle's backhoe broke. And we know the next day, they were asked to fill in the holes. They were waiting on the generator and extension ladder to go down inside but it appears they may not have had time to use it. Thank you for your interest and insight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions