I found “the all-time most fun toy” bar none!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
In my early childhood I heard my elders cite their favorite toys. With dreamy eyes they’d expound about the joys found in rolling an iron hoop with a stick. Nothing was a better toy. The junk I played with couldn’t hold the proverbial candle to the hoop.
Today I found one! No, seriously! It had a large tree root growing through it. This did not daunt my efforts. After all, this is the Hope Diamond 💎of toy land. I also found a broken square nail, harmonica reed plate piece, misc iron and copper.
I only have one question: how much should I insure this for, in case of theft? I consider it up there with unicorn poop; never thought I’d see it.
Thanks for playing along.😎

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 38
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
wow.... you had a hoop? all we ever had were sticks and rocks!
Sticks and rocks both?! Pure luxury.
I once asked for a stick for Christmas and was told that we couldn’t afford it. Tell today’s kids that and they won’t believe you. 😂 But we were happy..,
All 17 of us. (Monty Python with subtle changes).

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll tell you what... when Nintendo came out with that 8 bit "legend of Zelda" back in... what "85, "86?... i bought one and played it for 17 hours straight! 17-SEVENTEEN- hours straight!!!! (it is still the best game ever IMO).... I totally understand the lure of video games... but dam.... we had some fun didn't we back in the day?!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'll tell you what... when Nintendo came out with that 8 bit "legend of Zelda" back in... what "85, "86?... i bought one and played it for 17 hours straight! 17-SEVENTEEN- hours straight!!!! (it is still the best game ever IMO).... I totally understand the lure of video games... but dam.... we had some fun didn't we back in the day?!
I had sore thumbs from playing hours of Doctor Mario. Had to stop and heal up

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
In my early childhood I heard my elders cite their favorite toys. With dreamy eyes they’d expound about the joys found in rolling an iron hoop with a stick. Nothing was a better toy. The junk I played with couldn’t hold the proverbial candle to the hoop.
Today I found one! No, seriously! It had a large tree root growing through it. This did not daunt my efforts. After all, this is the Hope Diamond 💎of toy land. I also found a broken square nail, harmonica reed plate piece, misc iron and copper.
I only have one question: how much should I insure this for, in case of theft? I consider it up there with unicorn poop; never thought I’d see it.
Good stuff BF!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000aaa.jpg

Hoop Rolling: A popular children’s pursuit since Ancient Greece, in the 1840s there was a movement to ban it

College girls participate in the hoop-rolling contest in Wellesley college in Mass​

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to stay after it. Fun find and story.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Obviously hoop rolling eventually lead to Rock n Roll music. There were movements to ban that, at one time, too. Just imagine no Crazy Train or Paradise by the Dashboard Light!
Sorry, my brain makes unusual connctions. 😁 Sometimes I think so far out of the box, that you can no longer even see the box from where I’m at! 📦🤔

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, those were the days. Then Sega came out with the 32 bit and DOOM was the game!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread