I found “the all-time most fun toy” bar none!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
In my early childhood I heard my elders cite their favorite toys. With dreamy eyes they’d expound about the joys found in rolling an iron hoop with a stick. Nothing was a better toy. The junk I played with couldn’t hold the proverbial candle to the hoop.
Today I found one! No, seriously! It had a large tree root growing through it. This did not daunt my efforts. After all, this is the Hope Diamond 💎of toy land. I also found a broken square nail, harmonica reed plate piece, misc iron and copper.
I only have one question: how much should I insure this for, in case of theft? I consider it up there with unicorn poop; never thought I’d see it.
Thanks for playing along.😎

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 38

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the great find! Sure enjoyed (and remembered) the memories! Thanks for posting that.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those were fun too
Those are still fun. They have some now that work like the real deal. Working slides, blow back action, and magazines. I even have a working lever gun. You load the pellets or bb's in cartridges, load them as you would the real thing and every time you work the lever the empty cartridge is ejected. My son demonstrating loading and shooting.

Even have an AR-15 and AK-47 that fire full auto.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
any one else had a 22 at the age of... what... 13 or so? There A LOT of bottles that owe there demise to me... hell yes I'm a sharp shooter!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I just played bubble bobble again today!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I only have one question: how much should I insure this for, in case of theft? I consider it up there with unicorn poop; never thought I’d see it."

Classic!!! Thanks for the laugh. :occasion14:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably get pooped on for this. I had one of those for a couple of years around 1953 until it was stolen! I don't remember it being that wide and heavy-looking. Sorry, just what I remember.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you what... when Nintendo came out with that 8 bit "legend of Zelda" back in... what "85, "86?... i bought one and played it for 17 hours straight! 17-SEVENTEEN- hours straight!!!! (it is still the best game ever IMO).... I totally understand the lure of video games... but dam.... we had some fun didn't we back in the day?!
I have never played a video game [shows how old I am].. But like many [most?] here,

I figure my youth was the best!!.. Kick the can, hide and seek, making tree forts on the farm,

swimming in the river in summer and snow forts and snowball fights in the winter.. Even went to

the old coal mines just a short distance from us and explored them [I do not know why we did not kill ourselves]

We did some pretty stupid things in my youth

Micheal

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
in my dads day the kids in town used to get old flat pieces of metal and climb up this bridge over the Snake River in Idaho, and slide down the cables....

175525860_3096e29fce_b.jpg

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Cable sliding - and none ended up in the river?
Had .22 when I was about 10. Very careful teaching by Dad, used it with him a bit, and then I was on my own. Always very careful and no accidents. "Don't point gun at anything you don't want to shoot. And never at a person." Too bad this wasn't the world's ethic now.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'll probably get pooped on for this. I had one of those for a couple of years around 1953 until it was stolen! I don't remember it being that wide and heavy-looking. Sorry, just what I remember.
I think mine is safe from theft, unless iron scrappers see it. Thanks for posting!

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect the current generation of kids has no idea that's even possible. They can't imagine life without a phone in their hand, much less without indoor plumbing (or worse, electricity).
The majority of kids can not.
But I had my kid experience it first hand when we visited his mothers country.
I turned to him while there and said be glad you where born in the USA. He silently nodded.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going :) Back in 86 or 87 I loved playing Carrier force :) Anyone else remember this ?

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Nice going :) Back in 86 or 87 I loved playing Carrier force :) Anyone else remember this ?
Was it for Atari or early computer? I played one on a floppy disc called Seafox , submarine warfare

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Friends of mine were all about Leisure Suit Larry on the earlier PCs.
I didn’t have a computer yet, at that time.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years I have made all my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, a wheel-on-a-stick. A radio flyer type wheel screwed to an old broom handle. Despite all the bikes, trikes, scooters etc the old wheel on a stick still gets used! It's the only toy they have that makes them sweat!!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Over the years I have made all my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, a wheel-on-a-stick. A radio flyer type wheel screwed to an old broom handle. Despite all the bikes, trikes, scooters etc the old wheel on a stick still gets used! It's the only toy they have that makes them sweat!!
Remember the days when a new appliance was purchased (by the neighbor) and you got the box?
I loved an empty freeze box. The best fort for a 6 year old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions