I guess it is a musketball. Thanks everyone for the help.

Diggin in GA.

Aug 19, 2007
Northeast GA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, Ace 150, Fisher F4

Attachments

• SSC_0187.JPG
    SSC_0187.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Can somebody help with this?

I'd say that's exactly what it is. Muskets were used all over the US, as you detect more, you will find them everywhere. In fields, in home yards, old school sites, you name it. I'm surprised you haven't found a minnie ball yet. It would have rings on it, they could be 2 rings, 3 rings, even 4 rings.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
Diggin in GA.

Diggin in GA.

Aug 19, 2007
Northeast GA
Detector(s) used

Thats awsome. A first for me. I went back to a spot that me and a couple friends went over pretty good a while back. Found 69 cents in clad and this ball. I guess it is true, a site is never hunted out.

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA

That's a nice find... very possibly pre-civil war. Could be Cherokee, i'm certian they had muskets from trading. Are there any old Cherokee sites in the area? A convergence of two creeks or a creek and a river. Any pottery shards or a place with a lot of arrowheads? If there is hunt it for colonial flat buttons. The Cherokee had them and trade bells.

J

OP
OP
Diggin in GA.

Diggin in GA.

Aug 19, 2007
Northeast GA
Detector(s) used

This area was completly cherokee teritory. I was hunting in a camping area along the edge of a large creek. I am sure there is more there but it is hard to pick through all the melted metal from many years of camp fires spread everywhere. I am planing to go back and pull out my secret weapon, The 4" sniper coil ;D. I haven't even used it yet.

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA

Diggin in GA. said:
This area was completly cherokee teritory. I was hunting in a camping area along the edge of a large creek. I am sure there is more there but it is hard to pick through all the melted metal from many years of camp fires spread everywhere. I am planing to go back and pull out my secret weapon, The 4" sniper coil ;D. I haven't even used it yet.

Find out where flat buttons and brass buttons in gereral read on that machine, someone will know if you don't have any to check it with but remember trash in the hole will change the TID so... your best bet is, when you find a good spot... start cleaning it out, just dig everything and you will make good finds. That is the sort of place where an E-TRAC or an F75/T2 will excell because they have razor sharp seperation and you can hear the good stuff in the trash and pick it out. You are thinking right though.. small coil.

Where do you live? I am in Cassville, just north of Cartersville. Maybe we can hunt one day. I am 10 minutes from Kingston and the park there just keeps on giving. It has been hunted hard for 49 years and today I found two Mercs, some nickels and an old brass brad... solid green. Lately i've found a musket band and a carved bullet there. Everything there is masked and iffy though because all the easy stuff has been dug. My buddy dug a couple of wheaties today too. Cleaning out areas is what we do there. Get the trash out of the way and keep hunting...

I have a friend who was arrowhead hunting in a field near Ball Ground. He came across a spot where he picked up several arrowheads and found lots of chips. He went and got his Tejon and pulled 11 colonial flat buttone from the spot.. out in a plowed field... amazing.

Good luck!!

Julien

OP
OP
Diggin in GA.

Diggin in GA.

Aug 19, 2007
Northeast GA
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the advice Jbow. I am in Habersham county. I was hunting in Rabun county. I am still learning on my F4, and still learning detecting for that matter. I found a very small silver button not far up the road from this spot but don't know anything about buttons to know exactly what it is other than a silver button.

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident

congrats on the find .... looks like a 69 cal roundball .There is an old park in ballground have you hit it yet?

Randall

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread