Old orchard yields 1828 matron head coronet cent in great shape, A barber too!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I hunted today !! the first pic is everything I dug through; clad junk ect... to get the keepers 4 2day !! A new site ! The owner told me it was an old apple orchard which used 2 have a house on the hill over looking it! You can not even find the foundation of the house now and only a few big old apple trees are left. I did find a small brick rubble pile just in the woods off the field, started finding household objects right in front of it just before the drop off down the hill to the orchard. I worked this flat area in front of the bricks for quite some time but did not pop out a coin, I did have a general pattern of human activity on the top of the hill so decided to limit my search pattern down the hill to the orchard to line up with the 20 yard swath of my signals on top of the hill. my third criss cross down the hill and i knew I had a copper signal! thought I had an indian by the sound of it. Even better!! 7 inches down in very sandy ,easy digging ground an 1828 matron head coronet large cent came up! Itcame out of the ground very clean!! best large cent I have dug . I think it was so becaue of the sand on the hill draining well and preserving the coin!! Kept my criss cross pattern up down the hill but no more coins ! the first apple tree i searched under produced the 1928 wheatie first with a white marble in the same hole. You have got 2 love kids!! ;D 2 feet away I found the 1908 barber dime. The next apple tree I scored the 1939 wheatie. then came the Rain!! nooooooooo!!!! I did not want 2 leave even though I had been ther just over 3 hours. So I tried 2 push on !! BAD IDEA!! Tesoro got wet and started overloading!! I quickly took the battery out and started hoofing it 2 the truck! Tesoro still drying out !! I hope it will be ok!! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• P1010825.JPG
    P1010825.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 638
  • 1828 matron head cent, 1908 barber dime.jpg
    1828 matron head cent, 1908 barber dime.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 635
  • 1828 matron head cent,1908 barber dime side #2.jpg
    1828 matron head cent,1908 barber dime side #2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Maine relic. Weather sure has been hard on the detecting the last couple days. Sounds like you may get a break this weekend. Hope you can get back there, hope the treasure finder is ok too. Best of luck to you.

Mainer

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice LC. It really held up well. Congrats.........Hogge :headbang:

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
congrats on those beautiful coins !!!
electric and water doesnt mix !!
I could not agree more ! I played around with electrolisis on some of my copper coins last year but never really liked the way the coins looked when I was done !! I prefer the natural look of the coin. This large cent did not even touch water when I got home!! A bath in olive oil and Q-tip cleaning only!!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the nice large cent and barber.
The hills and slopes are my best places for finding coins. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread