I Had An Okay Day, My Brother Had a GREAT one!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hi all,

Well my vacation is coming to a close but that doesn't mean I'm not trying to cram a bit more detecting in!

My brother and I got out a couple days ago and nearly got skunked for old coins. The first couple places I wanted to hunt, no one was home to ask permission. We went back to a farm I was at last week with no real luck. We then went to a grange hall that had clearly been hit already.

I threw my hat in for the day but he wasn't going to be deterred. He spoke to the neighbors whose yard we did years ago and asked if he could take another pass. They said sure! They've redone their landscaping a bit and he was able to pull a 51-D Rosie! I would say that salvaged the day :).

Next day I didn't get out to detect but he did. He hit an old ball field we wiped clear years ago and found a couple of great keepers. A 61 Quarter and a 28-D buffalo nickel! Pretty awesome stuff for a place we thought we cleaned out!

I went back to the ball field with him today to clear it out again. I pulled 5 Wheats but he had the find of the day. He found a 1919-S buffalo nickel! It's a pretty rare date so we were definitely thrilled about that one. He also pulled 2 wheats. A lot of these old coins from the field were no more than an inch deep. We found out after asking around that some sand from the yard of a house that was recently remodeled was dumped on the field a couple years ago. (My brother is actually out detecting that yard right now). That explains why there were some new targets and why coins that are 70-100 years old are just under the surface. Below are some photos of our keeper coins from the last few days. Top row are my finds, bottom are my brother's. I've got some catching up to do!

Keepers:
-7 Wheaties (45 S, 46 D, 46 S x2, ?6 S, 49 S, 54 S)
-2 Buffalo Nickels (19-S, 28-D)
-1 Silver Rosie (51-D)
-1 Silver Washington (61)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503797794.759497.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503797806.018881.jpg

I've got my eye on a couple more lots for tomorrow. Wish me luck as I ask for permission in the morning!

Luck in the hunt,
-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck and Happy Hunting!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is good to do things with a sibling, this is what becomes good or great memories for both of you. congrats

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the silver and excellent buffs

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting, congratulations! :occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wishing you luck tomorrow. Nice finds.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds there...wish you luck on the permissions..!!

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin haul... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread