I had to get my mind off it...

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Unfortunately yesterday we had to put our 14 yr old dog down. One of the worse things I ever had to do. I had'nt cried in years but I did yesterday. I asked the wife if she minded if I got up early to go to the park for a couple hours and she said go ahead knowing it would help me take my mind off of losing Baby our dog. Back to Silver Park for a couple hours and managed a 1943-D quarter, a couple 50's wheaties, some clad and a Fiat medal from Italy. This is my 24th silver coin on the year. I know it's not much but I only get to go hunting on Sat or Sun and sometimes both days.It did help me a bit but I miss her so much already. Good luck out there.
HH, Mike in NJ

Attachments

• 43D.jpg
    43D.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 873
  • 43Dback.jpg
    43Dback.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 882
Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had to put down 2 dogs and 1 cat in the last 10 years or so - 3 of the toughest days I've ever had. My wife and I have no children, so our pets (like yours obviously) are our babies.

I get choked up every time I hear this poem, but it truly does speak to me when I've had to let a pet go. I hope it helps you as well.

A Dog's Prayer (Beth Norman Harris)

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

One last thing.... You'll never be able to replace a pet, because each and every one holds their own special place in your heart, but if you truly love animals, find another one who needs a home and give him/her a loving home too.

Best wishes

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sorry for your loss.Its tough, I myself wasn't going to get another dog, Then.... this little guy would not be alive.Nice silver too!!!!

Attachments

• ivan.JPG
    ivan.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 356

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
7-28-07

That's when we had to say goodbye to our 14 1/2 year old black lab mix. We raised her from 8 weeks old and she was our baby. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do & I'm still not over it. Just know that there are other people who have gone through the same thing & know what you're going through.

Personally, I believe that they are angels sent to us and after they are gone, they alternate between playing with their friends in heaven and stopping by to visit & check up on us. I just know our girl has been back here with us once in a while. I still talk to her every day.

I hope all this isn't too wierd, but she's probably out there watching you swing & looking in the holes to see what you're finding.

I believe it!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Mike,

I'm sorry that you had to put down your dog ~ that's very sad news. There's nothing anyone can say to make you feel better ~ even digging up a nice silver coin isn't going to make you feel better.

Sorry dude ~ that sucks!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Oh man, we had to do the same with our doberman "Mickey" a few years back. I never cry, and I thought I could handle that too since I knew the time was coming. Wrong. It took a long time to realize he wasn't laying there watching me walk across the yard, or keeping me awake with his human sounding snore at night. He was a good dog. We waited about a year and got another doberman from the same bloodline. He doesn't take Mickeys place, but he fills our hearts in the same way. A good dog is the best friend you can have. I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am. Sorry about your loss....nice silver though :wink:.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am

THAT is a really great line!!! I should make a poster of that! Love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread