Marin County CA

Greenie
Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesaro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought it was a comb.
Then I saw that there were nails rather than bristles.
The other side appears to be stone.
I live in Northern California and found it on a trail leading to Stinson Beach. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horse brush? I would guess the material is pewter?? not stone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Marin County CA

Greenie
Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesaro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought horse brush too...would they brush them with a brush of nails?
Katharine

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other thing I could think of is some sort of wool card, never seen one like it but theres a lot of things made through every era that tried to re-invent the wheel. I like it whatever it is

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my thoughts I have seen curry combs that look like that although none ever had nails, also when I was a teenager I used a trash picker upper that had a square bottom with nails in it, stab the trash then remove it although I can't see where the pole would have attached to yours, unless it fit in something that encased it thus no attaching points.This was 30 yrs ago for the trash grabber now they have the tong style.Hopefully this helps in your I.D.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like an old oval lead-base flower frog to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is a military type civil war to rev war era type of horse "body" brush -- the teeth are often copper or iron --the body was made of pewter or lead * ==I have one from a civil war camp that had horses to pull their cannons -- I found it along with a hoof pick , a farriers hammer., and a mane / tail brush and other horse care items at the site.--it was used to "lightly" brush down the horse's body to remove sweat , mud and small burrs and such that might stick to the horse hair / hide -- civilian ones were often of wood body and stiff pig hair bristles . (like modern one of today).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Creskol; it looks like a flower frog. Generally 'most' antique flax combs and curry combs had straight needles, meaning each bristle is the same size; whereas flower frogs have a chiseled point at the end that looks like a nail.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother used to be into the Japanese flower arranging and used frogs a lot. However, the difference in your find vs. hers were hers were flat on the bottom. It could be an illusion, but it appears yours has a rounded bottom.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread