Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding good items pretty consistently lately. Just not what I really like to find. Namely, old coins.

I'm not complaining mind you, for I am aware that I'm hunting sites with very low potential for many old coins. This hunt wasn't a really good one in terms of finding old coins either. :dontknow: But, I had a GREAT time today. Seems the finding angels were smiling on me today. Not for intrinsic value, (save, possibly, one item), but for the pure fun and variety today. Lots of pics today so let's get started.

IMG_20130723_183052.jpg

The over all.

IMG_20130723_183327.jpg IMG_20130723_183348.jpg
Any buckle experts out there? This one was pretty deep and there was a farm field there before.

LOCK1.jpg LOCK2.jpg
Thought it was a ring at first but what it turned out to be was more interesting to me.
IMG_20130723_183554.jpg IMG_20130723_183604.jpg
I believe, it used to be a little lock. 2 holes on top and a keyhole.

WATERMELON1.jpg WATERMELON2.jpg
Earring, silver, I think. Not proven yet.

CLEAT1.jpg

I basically saw this and figured it was a soccer cleat.

CLEAT2.jpg

Until I looked a little closer.

CLEAT3.jpg

And, turned it over. Be still my heart!! LOL

IMG_20130723_183401.jpg
It did make Blingie very happy though! ;)

IMG_20130723_183444.jpg
Ring! :) Fake, but, still! :)

STARRING1.jpg
Have I said, that this just NEVER gets old? :)
STARRING2.jpg
IMG_20130723_183707.jpg
I haven't proven it yet but this one appears to be an old ring. I couldn't find marks but mostly because the inside of the ring has been worn a lot! I believe it's worn away the marks. I strongly suspect silver.

This last piece is really the "star" of the day though.

I got this nickel hit, on the surface, I moved a few chips out of the way and this was peeking out at me.
GEMPEEK1.jpg

My eyes aren't as good as they once were so I didn't trust what they were telling me.
I got down a little closer.

GEMPEEK2.jpg

I saw the glint from the sun but I still said, "Naaah, fake, kid stuff. Neat but, nah."

GEMPEEK3.jpg

Even after getting it completely out, I still won't allow me to think it's real.

IMG_20130723_184013.jpg

ALTHOUGH...once I got it home and gave it a minor bath. I'm not so sure. I can't find any marks. (couldn't be easy now could it?)
It is put together very, very well! It might not show but there are 3 little stones above the large one and even they have a small hole drilled behind each one.

Fingers crossed. :)

Either way, I am VERY pleased with today's hunt. Really relaxed me!

Thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoyed the visit.

My ride's here.

IMG_20130723_183302.jpg

HH!

Upvote 14

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds, and loved the way you talked about them, made me feel like i was there. Sweet!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - Your buckle with the sheet metal wrapped around the edge where the tang comes in contact with the frame is post-Civil War as far as I can tell. I estimate ca 1875 - 1915 for this type of buckle. Does that seem to fit in well with the other finds you have pulled from this site?

Regards, Erik

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - Your buckle with the sheet metal wrapped around the edge where the tang comes in contact with the frame is post-Civil War as far as I can tell. I estimate ca 1875 - 1915 for this type of buckle. Does that seem to fit in well with the other finds you have pulled from this site?

Regards, Erik

Actually, no, not with the finds, per se. But, it certainly fits the area. I know there was farm land there before they built.

There are so many buckles out there! It's hard to know. I've always wondered how so many got lost. I have NEVER lost a buckle in all my many years. ;)

I noticed the sheet metal wrap but wasn't sure of it's purpose. Just knew it was different.

Thanks!
HH!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There are so many buckles out there! It's hard to know. I've always wondered how so many got lost. I have NEVER lost a buckle in all my many years. ;)

Probably off harness. Horses are large, strong animals, and there are times they have fits or get into wrecks, halters and work harness get broken up for various reasons, the leather rots, but the buckle doesn't. I remember finding the remains of a mowing machine and the bones of a couple of horses out on the desert in Nevada. The hay field was along the river, a couple of miles from where the machine was found. No doubt someone was mowing a hay field, and the horses ran away, destroying the machine and killing themselves. There were probably buckles around there also, I just didn't take the time to look. But that's where a lot of buckles come from, various types of horse tack.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably off harness. ...that's where a lot of buckles come from, various types of horse tack.

Suppose that's true. I've never owned a horse. :) Hardly even seen one working in my life. (Roy Rogers notwithstanding. ;) )

Sometimes we forget to think the world was different back then. :)

Thanks!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread