I think I am starting to get better at this..............

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I think I am finally beginning to get better at using my M6. Today I hunted at the park close to home, and park workers have told me it has been well hunted, after work for about 2 hours and I had my first 3 old coin day. I found a wheat penny that I can't get the date from yet, a 1937 Buffalo nickel, and my 2nd silver coin ever, a 1943 Mercury dime in pretty decent shape. Still a newbie and that Merc really got my heart pounding for the rest of the afternoon. I was concentrating on iffy and deep signals and 8-10 VDI signals that JuJu mentioned a couple of days ago that lead to jewelry for him. I didn't get any this time, but I am not one to give up. HH all, and good luck out there.

T.

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it. It will come. My ace 250 video reccomended at least 1000 hours to get used to all of the detail. I get better at evry hunt but still learning. Learning takes time. You can master your machine over time. Just be patient ;D

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Congrats on the merc :thumbsup: Sounds like you're getting the hang of that machine.

I heard the same thing about parks getting pounded hard by others. I watched one guy early
in the morning going through it like he was on a competition hunt.

He was swinging that thing and moving like someone was after him. To make a long story short,
I ended up with just under 100.00 in change in 12 or 15 trips there, plus a few silver dimes and
rings. I like taking my time.

Good Luck with the M6!
Mike

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:
Sounds like a good day to me. The gold will come to ya. Congrats on the silver. WTG
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Nice finds. You are on the right track for finding gold. Most people run through those parks with their discrimination turned up and miss all of the gold. Keep digging those nickel targets. I think the saying goes you have to dig 300 pulltabs for each gold ring. Good luck and HH. Jeff

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and congrats on the silver....nothing looks better than silver staring back at you from the dirt....WTG

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I want to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It will be a few days before I get out to detect again, but I am going to keep looking at the site for more pointers and then get out there and use them.

T.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Tford,

Nice digs! That M6 is an awesome machine. I tend to detect at a more concentrative pace at older parks and yards and that's how I find things others have missed time and time again. If you found a Mercury dime, you're doing good!

Joe

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tford62,
You're learning! Now, one of the hardest things to do is, while in your glory, change a parameter or two and see if you can TWEEK that machine into doing better. What?..... change things?.........but why don't I just keep 'er set just like this? Many guys will do just that.... change nothing on a new machine that seems to be doing enough. The learning curve goes way up if you also know what doesn't work... and why! Keep tweeking and trying different settings. Keep up the good work! TTC

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
What sort of tweaking would you suggest? The last few hunts I have had the discrimination turned up slightly beyond the first factory setting (probably at about setting 1.25) and think this has helped, but I will take all suggestions.

T.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tford62 said:
What sort of tweaking would you suggest? The last few hunts I have had the discrimination turned up slightly beyond the first factory setting (probably at about setting 1.25) and think this has helped, but I will take all suggestions.

T.
Sorry T,
I don't own an M6. My reply was a "pep rally" to keep you experimenting. I bought a Scorpion years ago but only used it for clad in parks. MAN, I was hot! I learned that if I cranked the disc up to 7.8, I would pretty much not have to worry about tabs and caps. It wasn't till I had a friend in CA show me the main reason a Scorpion exists (gold prospecting) that I realized I had to re-learn about ground balancing and no-motion all metal mode. My point being: don't get stuck in a one mode rut, like some guys will. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tford62 said:

T.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Tford,

Might I suggest setting the discrimination at or just below the first notch. Even if you don't want to dig pulltabs, the lesser discrimination allows some of the really deep silver coins peep through where they wouldn't before...I learned this myself. Good luck!

Joe

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Joe, I think I am going to be able to get out and detect for a couple of hours either tomorrow or Friday, maybe I will set the disc. lower like you said to, and go over a spot I have already done, see what "pops" up at me. It is definately worth a try.

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread