I want to upgrade from the Whites XLT. Any suggestions?

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I'm not sure this is the right forum to be posting this questionin, but here goes. I have a White's Spectrum XLT from 1998. It's a very comfortable machine for me, but it can't claim the title of "all around most versatile deepest seeking machine". I can't use it in wet salt sand, for instance, and from what I understand, it gets beat on depth by at least a few other makes and models. Since I live on Florida's Treasure Coast, I'd like to go back to at least having the option of hunting in the wet sand at the beach. I expectto be travelling more often, and I'd like something that can handle all kinds of use, as well as ground conditions.

I love my XLT, and I'm glad I have one, but I'd like a second detector that can at least handle the beach as well as coin shooting. I want maximum depth and versatility, too. So far I've looked at the DFX and the Explorer II as serious options.

I used to own a Sovereign XS, but that was never returned to me after I allowed someone to borrow it for a weekend, and then discovered he moved away. I loved it for the beach. I'm curious about the Explorer II, and how it compares to the DFX, but I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
I was all set to respond to this post then actually read the whole thing and realized you want to hunt the beach........that makes sense for people to push the minelab explorer.......

that being said I'll go totally the other way (if it was normal detecting...I'm not a big beach hunter)....

I have found probably 100 times the stuff with my XLT then my explorer.....and friends and unfriends have told me why for all the usual reasons: more time spent,luck, better sites, bla bla bla........

you should read my review of the XLT in that section! and follow-up...and two weeks ago on island park I got my first complete rev war shoe buckle.

None of those reasons really fly...its simply my detecting style, the quickness or slowness of a particular search: movement of the machine and pinpointing......if you've ever used both an exploder and a higher end white's you'll understand...

and I do like my minelab.

but for me its in the pudding......amount of quality stuff found and there's no comparision.......let the minelab maniacs come crawling out of the wood work............lol......lol

aloha johny mc.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
catlord17 said:
I used to own a Sovereign XS, but that was never returned to me after I allowed someone to borrow it for a weekend, and then discovered he moved away.

I don't know how long ago this was, but failing to give back someone's metal detector isn't like failing to give back someone's book. I would pursue this if I were you. A Sovereign XS? Are you kidding? Track the person down!!

I agree with Michigan Badger, you might want to give Tesoros a second look. They are fine machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread