I Was Enlightened This Evening

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here I sit, like many days and evenings, reading the posts, particularly "Today's Finds". I like to post on all finds (especially those in the US) and provide supportive comments to others on the fruits of their passion. Tonight I noticed that some of our fellow Tnet members only post their digs and never comment on others. If you are one of those selfish members, do not expect more than a like from me going forward. No sense in me investing time commenting on your finds if you are not willing to put some time into giving some supporting comments to others. JMHO

My time is just as precious to me as your's is to you. 8-)

GL & HH

Upvote 40

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I am sorry Loco!!! I didn't mean to ignore you! ;)

Boy! This thread and giving an ultimatum oughta fix them!

As for me? I do NOT want Loco angry with me! LOL :notworthy:

I'll get better!! HONEST!! :)

Semi-seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about the ones who don't contribute to the whole. It is a two way street. They'll find something they think is a "banner".......one day. LOL

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Semi-seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about the ones who don't contribute to the whole. It is a two way street. They'll find something they think is a "banner".......one day. LOL

Haha! Good point, i never looked at it that way!
Everything comes back around for sure.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you 100% misinterpreted my post.

This thread is about community involvement and discussion, and i pointed out (intended as a joke) that everyone jumps in on a controversial topic such as 'cemetery digging'... There will never be a lack of community involvement in anything controversial as we have all seen here on TNET.

~Tejaas~

I stand corrected! But I still hate partial quotes.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy, I could go off on some " types " here lol. Anyone that has been here a bit have noticed a handful that obviously don't take the time to read all the replies to a thread they have started, but, without fail, fall all over themselves to reply to a couple. Maybe it's a lack of respect for those of us that have no " banner " finds. Maybe they just are too busy and important to give time to we that are unworthy. It's like life...there are always cliques that gravitate to their own. Loco, you are one that comments on newer members' finds as often as you do on the longstanding members' threads. It is easy to see the ones that turn their noses up at some finds, but you know what? That is their loss. The ones that say they only hunt a certain aged site, or only want to find a certain type relic or coin are sealing their own fate. They are not going to last in this hobby because it is apparent they are taking all the joy out of what should be a fun hobby...not a way of trying to impress someone else that probably can't impress anyone in their day to day life anyway.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I log on at least a dozen times a day from my phone...actually probably a lot more. I live for this stuff and it is a great sickness for me. I try to read every new post if I can and offer help whenever possible as I would love to have others help me.
I do post finds on occasion if I think others would be interested. I don't think I have ever liked someone's post and just actually looked to see if I could do it from my phone, but trust me, I do like everyone's involvement. I'm not on Facebook either and really don't follow the concept as it seems some people like everything that's ever written.
The amount of great people on here and the information that can be obtained is mind boggling!
I can't even check my stats from my phone so I don't know how I stand and it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't reply or like my posts so please don't hold that against me.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was ... sorry you missed the sarcasm.

No problem. I did get the sarcasm, but also overreacted last night. I just don't like when I'm trying to have a serious conversation and someone goes and posts the exact thing I said I didn't like.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OD you're Banner in my book!
We are here for what draws us together and are unique in what we bring to share. I'm half way thru my phone limit....I need to find some free WiFi. ASAP!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I could go off on some " types " here lol. Anyone that has been here a bit have noticed a handful that obviously don't take the time to read all the replies to a thread they have started, but, without fail, fall all over themselves to reply to a couple. Maybe it's a lack of respect for those of us that have no " banner " finds. Maybe they just are too busy and important to give time to we that are unworthy. It's like life...there are always cliques that gravitate to their own. Loco, you are one that comments on newer members' finds as often as you do on the longstanding members' threads. It is easy to see the ones that turn their noses up at some finds, but you know what? That is their loss. The ones that say they only hunt a certain aged site, or only want to find a certain type relic or coin are sealing their own fate. They are not going to last in this hobby because it is apparent they are taking all the joy out of what should be a fun hobby...not a way of trying to impress someone else that probably can't impress anyone in their day to day life anyway.

Well Dave,
I see nothing wrong with people wanting to hunt certain age sites.
Or only wanting to hunt colonial.
To each is own right?
How about people only wanting to nugget shoot, or huys that only CW hunt. And the guys that only go to the beach and like finding jewelry!
Thats what great about this hobby, there's so many facets. So why are they not going to last???
Or why are they taking the fun out of the hobby?
I find no pleasure in walking a hot beach looking for gold, or in a park getting modern coins.
To each is own my brother!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem. I did get the sarcasm, but also overreacted last night. I just don't like when I'm trying to have a serious conversation and someone goes and posts the exact thing I said I didn't like.

It takes the strength of a thousand men for me not to hang another thumbsup on you.:laughing7:
all good

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Loco support is everything. I remember when I first started out. I got so much great info from so many great people that help me along the way. Support your hobby by supporting those who are in it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Dave,
To each is own right?
How about people only wanting to nugget shoot, or huys that only CW hunt. And the guys that only go to the beach and like finding jewelry!
Thats what great about this hobby, there's so many facets. So why are they not going to last???
I find no pleasure in walking a hot beach looking for gold, or in a park getting modern coins.

Well George...we all know the old saying about opinions lol, but here goes anyway. There are a limited number of sites like the ones I mentioned, so once a person has hunted those out to his ability, logic says you're done! Kaput! Finished! If that's all that is going to give you pleasure, you certainly aren't going to waste your time on a dime-a-dozen 1800's site or a park looking for jewelry or that possible unexplainable find, right?:dontknow:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well George...we all know the old saying about opinions lol, but here goes anyway. There are a limited number of sites like the ones I mentioned, so once a person has hunted those out to his ability, logic says you're done! Kaput! Finished! If that's all that is going to give you pleasure, you certainly aren't going to waste your time on a dime-a-dozen 1800's site or a park looking for jewelry or that possible unexplainable find, right?:dontknow:
Yep Your right! Then back to golf or fishing. Although I could make a couple trip a year to England untill they run out of finds toooo..lol

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both Dave and George, even though their opinions semi conflict. I have only been in the hobby a couple of years, and I really only want to hunt colonial sites. Unfortunately, that is not an option . The fact is, even though I love exclusively hunting colonial, I love the hobby, in general much more. I have migrated to beaches, private properties, WWII sites...pretty much anywhere when I can't hit the cellar holes. You can limit yourself to only cellar holes and hunt the same ones over and over (if that's all you have access to), or reach out and expand. Both of you are right, in my opinion

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh boy... I hope I'm on the good boy list..:laughing7:. I have given almost twice as many likes as recieved and usually get less than 15 comments on my posts but I don't let it bother me. At first I was discouraged from posting because it seemed like no one cared. When you are a newbie on these sights and you get 100+ looks and maybe 5 likes and 3 comments it tends to make your finds seem worthless to those we assume are more advanced in this hobby than we are. Then I just decided that I joined this sight for me...for me to look at others finds and like and comment, for me to post the finds that made me "feel the rush" or have some history or, and this is VERY important...for me to look at finds and post finds and LEARN about the finds. I don't always comment when I look at something, but at the very least I "like" it to show my appreciation for the time they spend posting.
Good luck and keep rescuing that history folks!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep Your right! Then back to golf or fishing. Although I could make a couple trip a year to England untill they run out of finds toooo..lol
I will make you a deal...take me to England and I will caddy for you lol.
I agree with both Dave and George, even though their opinions semi conflict. I have only been in the hobby a couple of years, and I really only want to hunt colonial sites. Unfortunately, that is not an option . The fact is, even though I love exclusively hunting colonial, I love the hobby, in general much more. I have migrated to beaches, private properties, WWII sites...pretty much anywhere when I can't hit the cellar holes. You can limit yourself to only cellar holes and hunt the same ones over and over (if that's all you have access to), or reach out and expand. Both of you are right, in my opinion

My point was this: if you limit yourself to one particular type of site, chances are you limit yourself to the types of finds. IMO, and here I go again out on that limb, when you don't get a thrill with something that is different you're going to stop learning anything new eventually. I don't ever want to stop learning and when I am detecting, my expectations are low. If I am expecting that 400 year old coin or artifact only, you know the fun is going to wear off when you keep getting disappointed.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My point was this: if you limit yourself to one particular type of site, chances are you limit yourself to the types of finds. IMO, and here I go again out on that limb, when you don't get a thrill with something that is different you're going to stop learning anything new eventually. I don't ever want to stop learning and when I am detecting, my expectations are low. If I am expecting that 400 year old coin or artifact only, you know the fun is going to wear off when you keep getting disappointed.

Ok yes. I know exactly what you're saying. For those who don't think outside the box, they will be confined to only a specific find or wish list. The hobby will become boring and unfulfilling. Unless they love every aspect of the hobby, in its entirety, they will never branch out and think outside the box. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Your opinion is important, as is everyone else's.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know I think you are great guy, with always a kind word for people and help out when every you can.
BUT dont hate me because Im beautiful!!!! Lol.
And of course you can come to England with me..

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know I think you are great guy, with always a kind word for people and help out when every you can.
BUT dont hate me because Im beautiful!!!! Lol.
And of course you can come to England with me..

Get a (sound-proof) room, guys! :laughing7:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dave,
To each is own right?

That's just what I was thinking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread