Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
AND I NEVER SAW SO MANY FOR SALE..... Minelab detectors = 900..... Garrett detectors = 1500....Whites detectors = 800 .... Fisher detectors 1000..... Bounty hunter detectors = 1000.............Tesoro detectors = 250....... And i would have to say that it looks like by count that Tesoro users are happier with there detectors than other detector users...????

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many for sale because a lot of MDers end up getting beat up and black eyed in this hobby/business.... Know one wants to take their time and research stuff and then they wanna know why they are not finding anything and want to sell their detector.. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember not to long ago there were times there would not be a 100 detectors of one brand for sale......some times 250 or so ... but a 1000 That sure is a jump..hard to believe

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very interesting way to look at and possibly decide on a lasting combination of consumer and product. (Metal Detector) In fact it could be hard to not agree with Keepy on the Tesoro brands. Then again assuming the ebay detectors are mostly used detectors for sale you could look at it as not many people first bought Tesoro's so therefore there's fewer to be sold as used. I think the bigger picture of why generally there are so many MD for sale used, Is the fact all these people got into MDing because of the detecting TV programs (that suck mind you) and are just now unloading them cause they didn't find their fortune in treasure. Just a guess.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I would suggest these numbers are a tribute to Minelab & Whites. You've got to factor in the number of people who use said detector. I would guess that Minelab and Whites represent the largest number of users and Tesoro the lowest. Fewer owners would also mean fewer for sale.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the metal detectors being sold on ebay and craigslist are by dealers.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wit has it right......There are more dealers trying to cash in on the free advertising on these "funky TV shows." When the hype doesn't ring true for "Knowing what's in the Ground before you dig" sets in, many people simply give the hobby up. It hasn't become a hobby to them yet, so they unload the MD. Its us hunters that pack a sandwich and some coffee for the hunts that enjoy just doing it hoping we'll get our coil over the Big One.:coffee2:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And still not too far removed from the annual-post Christmas dump/Upgrade.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You see it alot on here as well as other MD sites. A person joins up on the website all excited and their first question is; "which is the best MD out there? I have X$$ to spend and I want the best."Well , you don't see them post for a while , then out of the blue you see them posting in the classifieds,now selling the "best MD that their money could buy" that they have hardly used. It's always one of two reasons for the sale: 1. They don't have time for MD'ing. 2. This hobby just isn't for me. Just a case, in my opinion of a prospective buyer not doing the necessary research. The bright side , however ,is that this makes for some good deals on like new MDs for those of us who make the time to enjoy this hobby.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used F70 off EBay a few years ago for about 50 % off retail price. Hardly used the guy said. Box was beat up, manual was tattered, but as the guy said, the detector look like it had never touched the ground. Then I turned it on and it screeched continuously like I've never heard before from a detector. My first reaction was of course that I'd just thrown away a chunk of money on a seriously broke detector but as I fiddled with the settings I realized they were way, way, way screwed up. Reset the detector to factory settings and it ran perfect. My take was inexperienced user, complicated machine equaled a detector that sat, unused, in the closet. I suspect within six months we will see a lot more of those hitting eBay.

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually what you are seeing is a combination of used and new metal detectors for sale. For example right now there are 803 Bounty Hunter detectors for sale, but only 40 are listed as used.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually what you are seeing is a combination of used and new metal detectors for sale. For example right now there are 803 Bounty Hunter detectors for sale, but only 40 are listed as used.
... That don't matter who is selling them..... My point was that last year with dealers and used detectors on ebay ...... there were times any brand at times had under 100 detectors for sale and at times might go up to maybe 250 detectors ......... I know that it is a combo of dealers and private owners,,,,,,............. But from under 100 to 1000..... That is one big jump.........

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... That don't matter who is selling them..... My point was that last year with dealers and used detectors on ebay ...... there were times any brand at times had under 100 detectors for sale and at times might go up to maybe 250 detectors ......... I know that it is a combo of dealers and private owners,,,,,,............. But from under 100 to 1000..... That is one big jump.........

Not disagreeing with you at all Keppy, it is a huge jump in numbers. I was just trying to clarify the numbers for others out there.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are mixing the "new" listings with the "used" the vast majority of ebay items are just businesses trying to sell there.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I wanted to get into the hobby 3 years ago there wasnt hardly any on ebay except new and expensive....so I bought a BH101 and used it for a few months and liked it, then got a idea that the more you pay the more you find and I bought a Ace 250 and IT DID work better and I did find more on the same land....but I truly dont think a 1500$ would find much more than a 200$.....and im not willing to test out the theory for 1500$ either. I wouldn't mind another one though...if there is that many on ebay a few has to go dirt cheap, if you can find them..

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are mixing the "new" listings with the "used" the vast majority of ebay items are just businesses trying to sell there.
.. Jason ... we understand that but what we are saying is that last year a average number of a detector co. on ebay was 100 to 250 .... by businesses and used by owners combined... This year 1000... that is a big difference no matter how you look at it ..........

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the listings are mainly by dealers, then I guess most are upgrading, as for the higher numbers from previous year, surely this is down to popularity of the hobby.

SS

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AND I NEVER SAW SO MANY FOR SALE..... Minelab detectors = 900..... Garrett detectors = 1500....Whites detectors = 800 .... Fisher detectors 1000..... Bounty hunter detectors = 1000.............Tesoro detectors = 250....... And i would have to say that it looks like by count that Tesoro users are happier with there detectors than other detector users...????
The vast bulk of the offerings are accessories, not actual detectors.
Jim

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hobby is getting more popular every year and the average age of detectorist is getting younger and younger...the secret is out, this is a great hobby. The price of gold has a lot to do with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread