I wish every CR Hunter marked every coin

yf30

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That way you would instantly know if you're searching someone else's rejects. I believe that a huge percentage of coins (90%? )that we search have been previously searched. It would be really cool to see a box with a fresh unsearched roll.

Unfortunately, marking is tedious and some people find it distasteful. I don't mind a mark but I do dislike painted coins, usually orange or green.

At present, markings do nothing for anyone except for the one marking.

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion marking is defacing a coin. I disagree about the 90 percent. I think its all about the source of where the coins are coming from. Private collections are going to possibly be 90 to 98 percent, but corporations changing in money never check dates on coinage.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That way you would instantly know if you're searching someone else's rejects. I believe that a huge percentage of coins (90%? )that we search have been previously searched. It would be really cool to see a box with a fresh unsearched roll. Unfortunately, marking is tedious and some people find it distasteful. I don't mind a mark but I do dislike painted coins, usually orange or green. At present, markings do nothing for anyone except for the one marking.

Marking coins does nothing and means nothing. You can track your dumps that's it. Some of my best boxes have been loaded with marked coins. In my last boxes I did I had 50% of the coins marked with a MP and still found 4 40%

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 99% of the coins we are searching through have been searched and rejected dozens of times. Then some coins from a sock drawer get thrown into the stream and we find them. It is my opinion, based upon nothing but my thoughts, that the vast majority of the "flow" of halves through the system is due to CRH.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That way you would instantly know if you're searching someone else's rejects. I believe that a huge percentage of coins (90%? )that we search have been previously searched. It would be really cool to see a box with a fresh unsearched roll. Unfortunately, marking is tedious and some people find it distasteful. I don't mind a mark but I do dislike painted coins, usually orange or green. At present, markings do nothing for anyone except for the one marking.

:coffee2: Bad idea. It would make the time going thru a box of coins longer.

HH
Gary

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marking is such a pointless activity.
All you will prove is at sometime you get your coin back in your search, And if you take them to a bank to be deposited yeah odds are high you will get your own searches back.
Intelligent marking is what separates the armatures to those who can at least put some kinda of data into it.

The Source that some people seem to think is some magical santa clause that puts the coins in the rolls is nothing simpler than people who dont know what they are and deposit them in the bank. Grandpas old stash in the closet people who are elderly and starting to lose it and those who die and the generation cleaning house takes them too the bank. Kids who find a CHR stash and spend it, the list goes on...no santa, no easter bunny. Its that simple and random

If you feel you must prove you get your own dumps back why not try doing it in an intelligent way.

Take a pack of garage sale stickers and put wright a date and an initial of some kind, Or put some other kind of Data that tells you what bank or rolling company and the date and something that proves too you that it is you. Do one on every hundred coins or so. In a couple months if your active you will find your labels again.

Dont worry. no one is going to touch your stickers, And unlike the time waste of putting lines down the roll once you get them back what have you proven...and when someone deposits silver on top of your dumps...how does this marking activity keep new silver from coming into the system. Some guys believe once its marked that silver will be repelled from the source...
Who comes up with that. I remember guys a few years ago who were sure that making the coins and finding the source was some magical endeavor.

So one person marks up a bunch of coins to prove what. Oh yeah it goes though the system and comes back.
What is next winning a medal in the CRH special olympics for marking the most coins. Those marks are going to be on the things forever and have no useful data to prove anything but some guy has a marker and could really use a coloring book instead.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Someone is taking the time to roll the clad coins through a silver paint so the edges are silver. Sure makes my day to see a roll opened up and spot the beautiful silver edges we all look for, only to then see it is a clad coin. This has been going on for years in my area and I would like to thank whom ever is the person for brightening my day. :laughing7:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is taking the time to roll the clad coins through a silver paint so the edges are silver. Sure makes my day to see a roll opened up and spot the beautiful silver edges we all look for, only to then see it is a clad coin. This has been going on for years in my area and I would like to thank whom ever is the person for brightening my day. :laughing7:

That pissed me off to no end when I was going through my 92 box skunk streak
Now I just laugh as well

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sat down one day and marked two full boxes of coins I went through. I was bored. My only reason was to see how long it would take before I see them again. A little experiment for myself. I did this over a year ago and still have not see a SINGLE one of the 2000 coins I marked. Maybe they are still sitting in the bag at bricks or something.

HH

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too painted the rims of 2 boxes worth of halves when I first started hunting, and it took well over a year to see them coming into circulation in my boxes... so yes marking does work, and shows i dont dump into my own supply directly, and that it will take alot of time to get back into the same supply line.

And yes, date marking is extremely helpful... Especially when you have a network of hunters(IE: tnet) who can post about the marks etc...

I dont disagree that it may be distasteful, especially spraypainting... but who cares, like it was said above by someone... half hunters are the only reason any halves get circulated in the first place...

No banks are ordering halves to have in stock for customers unless its a specific request from a hunter. And yes, we are all just searching dumps, with the hopes of some moron dumping goodies back into the supply.

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my first box so I'm hardly an expert at this but I wanted to share what I'm doing. The bank I acquired my boxes from told me I can bring the coin back loose, in which case they will throw it in a bag and ship it off to have it counted and added back to my account, or I can bring it in rolled. I opted for the rolled option for a couple reasons. 1. I noticed one of the rolls in my dimes box was about 60 cents short. By rolling my own coin and filling a roll as soon as I go through it, I'm not out any money when I encounter a short roll. 2. I can trade the coin out for a new box immediately as opposed to waiting a week to have the money in my account. 3. I could mark the rolls so I'll know if I get them back from the bank. I write the following on the paper roll to prevent marking the coins "NMC <date> <Bank Name> <City>,<State>" Not sure if the abbreviation NMC has already been coined (no pun intended :)) by someone else but I put it on there as a way to state it has been "Numismatic Checked." Hopefully this will help a fellow CRH'er not waste their time having to check the rolls again. Now, I'm only checking for old nickles right now and haven't been checking for errors or certain mintages so someone else may still want to hunt the rolls but I'm pulling out anything prior to 1965 in case anyone sees one of my rolls.

ShaunB

Mar 4, 2014
Clarksville, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (borrowed)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't like the idea of marking coins unless it's a completely non-destructive mark. Sure, clad coins are only worth face value now. But what will they be worth 50, 100, or 200 years from now? I simply accept the fact that coin roll hunting is tedious...that's why it's called hunting. Besides, I still enjoy filling a spot in a folder with an AU coin pulled out of circulation, even if it's a clad coin.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my first box so I'm hardly an expert at this but I wanted to share what I'm doing. The bank I acquired my boxes from told me I can bring the coin back loose, in which case they will throw it in a bag and ship it off to have it counted and added back to my account, or I can bring it in rolled. I opted for the rolled option for a couple reasons. 1. I noticed one of the rolls in my dimes box was about 60 cents short. By rolling my own coin and filling a roll as soon as I go through it, I'm not out any money when I encounter a short roll. 2. I can trade the coin out for a new box immediately as opposed to waiting a week to have the money in my account. 3. I could mark the rolls so I'll know if I get them back from the bank. I write the following on the paper roll to prevent marking the coins "NMC <date> <Bank Name> <City>,<State>" Not sure if the abbreviation NMC has already been coined (no pun intended :)) by someone else but I put it on there as a way to state it has been "Numismatic Checked." Hopefully this will help a fellow CRH'er not waste their time having to check the rolls again. Now, I'm only checking for old nickles right now and haven't been checking for errors or certain mintages so someone else may still want to hunt the rolls but I'm pulling out anything prior to 1965 in case anyone sees one of my rolls.

I mean did you not read my response in your thread you started 7 hours ago about ordering boxes? Or is it pointless to give advice to you.

Do what you want with your coins, but dont be surprised when the bank wont take back your searched coin, and cut you, and everyone else off from ordering coins from that bank...

Your logic makes no sense for how you dont lose money on short rolls... if your dime roll was 6 dimes short, you are out 60 cents... you didnt just create 60 cents to replace it did you? cause its illegal to print money out of thin air, unless you are the federal reserve, which is greater than any life force, or even the universe itself. apparently.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I don't like the idea of marking coins unless it's a completely non-destructive mark. Sure, clad coins are only worth face value now. But what will they be worth 50, 100, or 200 years from now? I simply accept the fact that coin roll hunting is tedious...that's why it's called hunting. Besides, I still enjoy filling a spot in a folder with an AU coin pulled out of circulation, even if it's a clad coin.

The answer is MILLIONS. This is my plot. Hunter mark and thereby ruin coins by marking/spray painting them, and I keep dozens of each variety. Less supply will drive up the future value of these coins.

Shaun, shaun shaun, you remember Goldfinger? You know, the james bond film? Well, Goldfinger (the bad guy), had this good idea to ruin the gold at fort knox by setting off a radioactive explosive device. Goldfinger already had some gold. If his plan would have been successful, it would have removed half of the world's supply of gold from existence for the next 10,000+ years due to radiation. This would of made Goldfinger one rich son of a gun.

I'm kind of like goldfinger, I get people to mark halves, so my unmarked halves will be more valuable.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I too painted the rims of 2 boxes worth of halves when I first started hunting, and it took well over a year to see them coming into circulation in my boxes... so yes marking does work, and shows i dont dump into my own supply directly, and that it will take alot of time to get back into the same supply line.

And yes, date marking is extremely helpful... Especially when you have a network of hunters(IE: tnet) who can post about the marks etc...

I dont disagree that it may be distasteful, especially spraypainting... but who cares, like it was said above by someone... half hunters are the only reason any halves get circulated in the first place...

No banks are ordering halves to have in stock for customers unless its a specific request from a hunter. And yes, we are all just searching dumps, with the hopes of some moron dumping goodies back into the supply.

Amen.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking on a large scale is another way to bring un-welcome attention from bank and/or coin processing persons. Any attention from those folks is bad for the hobby.

A while back, I read right here on TNet of someone who would duplicate marks found in their supply. I did that for a while just to purposely confuse the other hunters. I would duplicate the mark and dump those special marked coins everywhere that I could - even into my own supply stream 200 or so per branch.

Now, I ignore the marks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let's get an understanding about something. If you plan on getting boxes on a regular basis, you don't want to dump at the same bank. They will tire of that and cut you off.
HH
enamel7

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my best bags (191 40%s) had marked dated coins from three months prior

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted something earlier for some of my North Texas/Southern Oklahoma but I put the date and WF on a bunch of half dollars and two months later (today) I got a few back. But I had done the same thing in December too. I got 1/6/14 back my way but not the 12/11/14. I keep track of what color I mark them with and the date and where. EXAMPLE: W F or WFK for the bank and street like WELLS FARGO Kathy St that I dump them at and date. Thats how my madness works. Furthermore when I do it I pick the "shiniest" rims out of a box so I can easily see if they have been marked because those coins stand out...not all the time but most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread