I wish every CR Hunter marked every coin

yf30

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That way you would instantly know if you're searching someone else's rejects. I believe that a huge percentage of coins (90%? )that we search have been previously searched. It would be really cool to see a box with a fresh unsearched roll.

Unfortunately, marking is tedious and some people find it distasteful. I don't mind a mark but I do dislike painted coins, usually orange or green.

At present, markings do nothing for anyone except for the one marking.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Guess in my old age I have a low tolerance for immature people who think they are entitled to behave poorly regardless of the consequences. Every little thing some of you guys do that draws attention to this hobby creates negative attention. If enough people do stupid crap the banks will put a stop to it completely. But you think it's funny so you do it anyway. Pull your pants up and stop acting like fools...

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally cringe when I see marked coins; not only for the banking issues it might create for everyone, but because it immediately takes the chance, hope and enjoyment of the hunt away. Granted, I have found silver amidst some marked halves. But I look at dates, and when I see the first coin is marked, that might make the proceeding coins less likely to produce -- well, at the very least, in my thoughts. It reduces the thrill of searching, hunting. I'm a romantic about coins: don't mark them, and let me discover the good from the bad for myself, thank you.

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, like I said, I'm new to the hobby and half expected to be arrested the first time I asked for a box from the vault. I value the advice you guys give me on the forums and apologize if it seems like I'm not paying attention to it or asking the same questions in different posts. I will often think of something while hunting and post it immediately. I try to go back and check for responses fairly frequently but am often checking the forums while at work where I will get pulled away mid thought in a reply.

I appreciate the advice about dropping at other locations and will stop marking the rolls. I don't want to cause a problem for anyone in this hobby.

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through a box the other day and it had a ton of marked, burnt and painted coins. I still got 4 40%ers. There is no logic in this. If you find one you do and if not we will look tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about marking 50 coins and the future of coin roll hunting because in the end nothing brings negative attention to the hobby like dumping a couple thousand dollars in halves. Its not the markings that will kill it its asking a 90 pound teller to carry 100 pounds in coins.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only been CRHing in a small way for a few days. I got a few rolls of coins from my CU/bank and noticed how a LOT of them had marks on them. I suppose that a lot of them are just from everyday contact with other items; but a lot is from being marked. I also like to MD. I haven't heard anyone say that CRHing is similar to MDing when it comes to finding good coins after others have hunted the same area. I've found some really nice coins at places where others have MD'ed over and over. In the 2 rolls of pennies that I got from the bank the other day, I found quite a few coppers among the marked coins. I haven't counted them; but I believe there were around 15 pre-1983 pennies in those 2 rolls. I understand that some CRH'ers just look at the rims while others look at the dates, and others actually look for errors and varieties. Just starting off, I have been doing a little of all; including reading several of the sites about differences in the varieties of different coins. I'm finding it interesting and very educational. I think that although a lot of coins are marked; a lot of good keepers may also be in a roll. In the 2 rolls of pennies that I got, I found a dime! Also, I have kept some of the coins from the rolls and substituted some of my pocket change into the rolls. I can see all sorts of ways that even though a roll or individual coins are marked, I may still find some 'keepers' in the rolls. If I'm wrong in some of these ideas, I'd like for someone to tell me. As I stated: I'm just starting and need a lot of info/help/answers.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
. If enough people do stupid crap the banks will put a stop to it completely. Pull your pants up and stop acting like fools...

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to help people out here on TNET. I thought I was paying it forward from all the help I received rom other members on other sites. One guy in particular decided to paint coins and he and I have a fundamental disagreement on marking. I DO NOT MARK COINS. Fast forward... I no longer offer help to people. I can't stop people from marking... But I can stop giving them the information to get the coins to mark. I sort in excess of 20K a week. I believe that I have a responsibility to do what I believe is the right thing. What if a bunch of people with that kind of volume started marking (I'm sure it already happens) it can't be good for our hobby when you take into account all of the different people and business that deal with the coin. The banks don't like to see it, the processors don't like to see it, the only people that like to see it are the markers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread