Iceberg Contest Winners- Oberkill,BDoo & KirkPA

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Iceberg Wheat contest RESULTS ARE IN!

It's now 9:03 am and time to post the results! First I'd like to thank Bob and Nate for being such great friends and wonderful folks to hunt with! Then I'd like to thank all of you for showing continued interest in our hunts at this great spot we call the Iceberg. Look out!...there may be more contests in the future!

We decided to break up the wheats dug into 3 prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
1) First place will be all the wheats dug by myself and my son Spencer (plus the 1940 Merc I dug and the silver War Nickle Spencer dug)
2) Second place will be all the wheats dug by Mirage (Bob) and also the 1944 Merc he dug!
3) Third place will be all the wheats dug by Nate and a 1958 silver Rosie that was dug that day.

Here's the totals for the day:
Spencer and I dug...........153 wheat pennies and 84 memorials
Mirage dug.......................84 wheat pennies and 112 memorials
Nate dug.........................92 wheat pennies and 77 memorials

Total wheats dug was 329

We didn't need to use the memorial counts as a tiebreaker because the winners were easily decided! (Boobydoo you shouldn't have changed your total :-[)

1st place-Oberkill...who guessed 339 wheats
2nd place-Boobydo...who guessed 340 wheats
3rd place-Kirk (Doy)...who guessed 293 wheats

Remember, NONE of these wheats have been cleaned or even had their dates checked!...there could be a rare date in there. We only ask that after receiving all these wheats that the winners clean them enough to get dates and post here any and all decent dates they find.

The winners need to PM Mirage and I with addresses where the wheats and silver can be mailed.

Thanks again to all those that ventured guesses. It made the day digging all these cents lotsa fun!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Iceberg Contest Winners- Oberkill,BDoo & KirkPA

I can't believe it! I am going to own a piece of history from that awesome place! I can't wait to receive my coins! Nate, I hope you dug a 1909 S-VDB or a 1922....:D.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Honorable mentions to three others who guessed high -

RiverRat with 236
Descrator with 234
Titan with 215

Obberkill - you are on a roll. Winner in the Shark Pit contest and now this one. ;D

Oberkill, BDoo and Kirk - Good guesses. Had I guessed I would have been off. I told Dan before we even started that I thought we would only come home with 200 or so. You guys will have to clean the wheats up and post on todays finds or on this thread.

Bob

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats to the winners, and like Dan said, thanks to everyone who participated and who have shown their interest and support in the Iceberg since the start! Hopefully one of us dug up some decent dates...(Kirk, you just never know!)
Thanks again, HH!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Mirage said:
Honorable mentions to three others who guessed high -

RiverRat with 236
Descrator with 234
Titan with 215

Obberkill - you are on a roll. Winner in the Shark Pit contest and now this one. ;D

Oberkill, BDoo and Kirk - Good guesses. Had I guessed I would have been off. I told Dan before we even started that I thought we would only come home with 200 or so. You guys will have to clean the wheats up and post on todays finds or on this thread.

Bob

Thanks for the cool contest. I am honored to get a piece of the Iseberg treasure chest.

Yes, I edited my original answer of 333 wheats...lol. I am still really happy with second. I will post the dates as requested.

I really thought you guys were going to go for my contest total record of 759 coins from two weeks ago so I guessed HIGH!! You all had a great day out there though. Congrats to all four of you and again THANKS!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Nate in Ohio said:
Congrats to the winners, and like Dan said, thanks to everyone who participated and who have shown their interest and support in the Iceberg since the start! Hopefully one of us dug up some decent dates...(Kirk, you just never know!)
Thanks again, HH!

Nate, it will be an honor to own the coins that you skillfully dug out of the ground. Keep up the good diggin'!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

Those numbers are just plain crazy. You hunting a wheat factory or what ;D
GREAT JOB!

~Nash~

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005

I am on a roll! OK whose going to post the give Alan a gold coin contest!!! :)

Thanks again for a great contest and prize. Now I have part of two of coolest hunting spots posted on TN. Next time I am in Cleveland I will look you guys up. (I grew up just outside of Cleveland)

I think my original guess was 330! I need to come up with a contest now to give something back but I doubt too many people will be interested in my pulltabs and bottle caps! lol

Thanks again!!
Alan

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Nashoba said:
Those numbers are just plain crazy. You hunting a wheat factory or what ;D
GREAT JOB!

~Nash~

Nash-
We have ventured guesses in the past as to WHY the original "wheatfield" area was pumping out so many damn wheaties. Now that a new entirely different area is producing similar numbers (and BTW, the original area STILL is loaded) we are pretty certain that stories we heard about carnival games being setup there were accurate, In the old days they would merely cover the grass areas with sawdust and set up a kiosk for penny-pitch games and such. That has GOT to be the ONLY reasonable explaination for what we are encountering. We know the area had picnic groves way back, but nobody sitting on blankets eating sandwiches loses that kinda coin! The kids back then obviously had poor aim ;)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

How large is the Wheatfield, Dan? You have to find the Indian Head pitch area! ;D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

KirkPA said:
How large is the Wheatfield, Dan? You have to find the Indian Head pitch area! ;D

Holy Mother of God Kirk!
If we stumbled upon a similar (but obviously older) area where IHs were the thrown object of choice, I would die right there on the spot. Not to mention the fact that IHs in decent shape are fairly valuable compared to wheats!
You never know. We HAVE found about a half dozen IHs at the Berg so far.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

holy moley 329 wheats ---lord thats wild---even with 4 folks hunting ---average is 82 each -- thats alot---Ivan

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

We should do this more often. It makes life more interesting.....Zeus (Chris)

Wheats--- 12
Memorials- 31

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Wooohooo Congratulations guys (and gals) That was fun Thanks

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Silver Zeus said:
We should do this more often. It makes life more interesting.....Zeus (Chris)

Wheats--- 12
Memorials- 31

Uhhh Chris...the contest is over dude. The toal wheats found was about 27 times more than you guessed ;D

Try again next time!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

thanks for the contest it was fun---Ivan

EDDE

Gold Member