Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In detectingMO's youtube video on his school hunt, he has trouble trying to ID nickels, as the ones he found at 4"-6" didn't lock on and the signal traveled the arc even into Iron.

I noticed the same thing on the area of nickels, or even a piece of foil or a flat pull tab. While the LRP locks onto any coin from zinc and above to the 9" depth, I am finding it's not so with nickels.

I have been communicating with Jorge at FTP about this. He suggested that I do an air test (inside, but even better outside) and try a quarter and move it back and forth over the coil, starting close and slowly moving away from it, and watch the numbers to see when the quarter numbers start traveling into other segments. I did this, and a quarter hits 78-80 almost 5 out of five times until I finally lose the detection of the quarter. This is a good lock.

With a nickel, I can get 5 out of five times till I get about 3" away from the coil, and the nickel starts being detected anywhere from Iron into pull tabs, even a silver hit occasionally, and 2-3 time out of five at 4-5" and by the time I am at 8" the nickel might hit 2 out of five. This is not a good lock.

Could other LRP guys try this an see if they are getting the same results? Jorge was going to do the same test and we were going to compare results. I thought I might be helpful to get more info on this from other users. It may help nail down a software issue, coil issue or my sanity issue.

Thanks.

Dan

taterbill

Greenie
Apr 3, 2015
What coil were u using?
What mode?
What sensitivity level?

Just thought we should all keep tests the same.
taterbill

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm Hightone on Finds, Bill.

Stock 11" DD coil
Mode 4
Sense 10 or where ever the LRP is capably calm.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan let us know what Jorge at FTP figures out I cancelled my order until they can get if figured out whats going on with it :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan let us know what Jorge at FTP figures out I cancelled my order until they can get if figured out whats going on with it :dontknow:

Well, he hasn't gotten back to me after I sent him my results Thursday. I played with both my LRP and the QDP today, using the 10" elliptical as well as the 11" DD on the LRP and then performing the test on the QDP with the 10" elliptical as well. What I experienced was that the quarter I had kep showing up at the 10 cent segment, and a dime and zinc penny showed up under "alum". This happened unless the coin was directly next to the coil. I replaced the batteries thinking that they may be weak. But even with new batteries, same results.The funny thing is that the nickel showed up under nickel and locked until about 6-7" away before it starting showing up as foil and iron.

I keep watching detectMO video at the school yard, and he even says that the LRP hits the nickel constant in the beginning, then just starts scattering into iron after a few seconds. It's almost like the magnetic field goes through a fluctuation then calms down then fluctuates again. I don't want to stir up a problem for FTP, but if there is an issue, they should be aware about it ASAP. Or maybe they may think that it's a Bounty Hunter and you get what you pay for.

The unit does detect metal, and at a good depth. But without a more accurate ID, the disc, V-Break and notch are basically useless. And you have to wonder if the GB is not affected as well.

Sorry Jim. Wish I had better news.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why this has that problem Every FTP detector that I owned locked on nickles at a good depth I see the coil on the LRP is not waterproof is that correct ?

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, he hasn't gotten back to me after I sent him my results Thursday. I played with both my LRP and the QDP today, using the 10" elliptical as well as the 11" DD on the LRP and then performing the test on the QDP with the 10" elliptical as well. What I experienced was that the quarter I had kep showing up at the 10 cent segment, and a dime and zinc penny showed up under "alum". This happened unless the coin was directly next to the coil. I replaced the batteries thinking that they may be weak. But even with new batteries, same results.The funny thing is that the nickel showed up under nickel and locked until about 6-7" away before it starting showing up as foil and iron.

I keep watching detectMO video at the school yard, and he even says that the LRP hits the nickel constant in the beginning, then just starts scattering into iron after a few seconds. It's almost like the magnetic field goes through a fluctuation then calms down then fluctuates again. I don't want to stir up a problem for FTP, but if there is an issue, they should be aware about it ASAP. Or maybe they may think that it's a Bounty Hunter and you get what you pay for.

The unit does detect metal, and at a good depth. But without a more accurate ID, the disc, V-Break and notch are basically useless. And you have to wonder if the GB is not affected as well.

Sorry Jim. Wish I had better news.

That seems like a software problem

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That seems like a software problem

I would agree. The coils are the same for the Gold and Platinum, and the Eurotek (not Pro). I believe they are all waterproof.

The manual says if you cannot get a lock and the signal travels, to ground balance the unit. You can't GB air for a air test. I really like both these units and am not ready to give up. I'm busy tomorrow but will be out with both of them Wed. The LRP is the first of these type units with ground balance. The Eurotek and the ETP are preset. The new BH Pro conductivity scale is different than the Euroteks, with iron at 0-19 rather than 0-39. If FTP follows the F22 and F44 with the typical lower iron scale, and there is a software problem not evident in inhouse test and it shows up in the field through indepth use, well............

As a low voltage engineer myself, I have made a few mistakes that had to be quickly changed and rectified in the field. Once I had 4000 new smoke detectors out in the filed and found out induction by lightning lit up most of them due to an ungrounded ionization chamber. Every time there was a storm in S Florida, 12 buildings had the fire department responding to false alarms. What a mess, and such a simple fix.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's my unit. But I've had enough machines to understand something isn't quite kosher.

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree. The coils are the same for the Gold and Platinum, and the Eurotek (not Pro). I believe they are all waterproof.

The manual says if you cannot get a lock and the signal travels, to ground balance the unit. You can't GB air for a air test. I really like both these units and am not ready to give up. I'm busy tomorrow but will be out with both of them Wed. The LRP is the first of these type units with ground balance. The Eurotek and the ETP are preset. The new BH Pro conductivity scale is different than the Euroteks, with iron at 0-19 rather than 0-39. If FTP follows the F22 and F44 with the typical lower iron scale, and there is a software problem not evident in inhouse test and it shows up in the field through indepth use, well............

As a low voltage engineer myself, I have made a few mistakes that had to be quickly changed and rectified in the field. Once I had 4000 new smoke detectors out in the filed and found out induction by lightning lit up most of them due to an ungrounded ionization chamber. Every time there was a storm in S Florida, 12 buildings had the fire department responding to false alarms. What a mess, and such a simple fix.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's my unit. But I've had enough machines to understand something isn't quite kosher.

No offense but I watched those videos awhile ago and noticed how wacky the number readings were for him. Then I read all the comments under his video and someone asked him a question about it and he said he didn't have the detector any more. That was all I needed to hear. If it was all that he would still be using it.

I have a bounty hunter platinum and a tesoro compadre. I am finding the more I use both the more I am really falling in love with the Tesoro. I am spending to much time deciding to dig a target with the platinum and sometimes it just goes screwy. The Tesoro on the other hand works great. I just put it on foil and dig all good sounding targets. Now everybody is different but I'm liking the analog of the Tesoro much better then the wacky digital I have. Im thinking about selling my bounty hunter platinum now to get another Tesoro.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No offense but I watched those videos awhile ago and noticed how wacky the number readings were for him. Then I read all the comments under his video and someone asked him a question about it and he said he didn't have the detector any more. That was all I needed to hear. If it was all that he would still be using it.

I have a bounty hunter platinum and a tesoro compadre. I am finding the more I use both the more I am really falling in love with the Tesoro. I am spending to much time deciding to dig a target with the platinum and sometimes it just goes screwy. The Tesoro on the other hand works great. I just put it on foil and dig all good sounding targets. Now everybody is different but I'm liking the analog of the Tesoro much better then the wacky digital I have. Im thinking about selling my bounty hunter platinum now to get another Tesoro.

Tesoro's are great machines. I'm inclined to believe that all machines find metal. And some less expensive ones have strengths over the higher end ones and vice versa. When you have time, watch this video. Well done by a guy who shows that a Tesoro Silver can find a coin where a Tejon misses it. That a Ace 250 can find the same thing as a XP Deus.

After watching many different units in the field, the LRP and QDP are just about as deep, scatter signals over the conductivity range on good targets and say that a dug tab was a perfect nickel ID than any sub $1000 machine. In the AM mode, the LRP can detect coins at 11" in air tests, probably 10" in the ground. Not many air tests or ground tests I have seen are much better and most are 8" at best.

Some people want the machines to ID a gold ring, or a coin. They want to know "what" to dig. I want just the opposite. I want it to tell me, this is a tab, this is a nail. Nails are consistent. Tabs are consistent. Jewelry comes in many different signals. All iffy signals should be dug. And all detector give iffy signals most of the time.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are great machines. I'm inclined to believe that all machines find metal. And some less expensive ones have strengths over the higher end ones and vice versa. When you have time, watch this video. Well done by a guy who shows that a Tesoro Silver can find a coin where a Tejon misses it. That a Ace 250 can find the same thing as a XP Deus.

After watching many different units in the field, the LRP and QDP are just about as deep, scatter signals over the conductivity range on good targets and say that a dug tab was a perfect nickel ID than any sub $1000 machine. In the AM mode, the LRP can detect coins at 11" in air tests, probably 10" in the ground. Not many air tests or ground tests I have seen are much better and most are 8" at best.

Some people want the machines to ID a gold ring, or a coin. They want to know "what" to dig. I want just the opposite. I want it to tell me, this is a tab, this is a nail. Nails are consistent. Tabs are consistent. Jewelry comes in many different signals. All iffy signals should be dug. And all detector give iffy signals most of the time.

Just telling what is working for me. The old KISS method seems to work the best for me. ;-)

taterbill

Greenie
Apr 3, 2015
Ok. I was finally able to do an air test at sense 10, detector laying flat on deck railing, coil end hanging over edge, facing up.
Quarter will read 25c ...5 out of 5...at 10 sense...at 9 1/2" (pretty steady). Usually got 2 or 3 out of 5 at 10".
Nickel would read 5 out of 5...at 6". Would start to go bad at 6 1/2"...getting 2 or 3 out of 5.
Seems to me that it hits better when i slow things down, & pausing for 1/2 second or so, & then swinging back. And then there are some days when that doesn't help.
Sure would like to see this "settle down", cause there are a lot of things I like about this detector ! taterbill

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there. Jorge contacted me today and said he's been off for a few days. He said he will work on it on his end now.

Bill, what mode were you in? Coin isn't as deep detecting as Mode 4. And you lose a little depth once the coil is on the ground over aimed into air. So, basically, a quarter at 8" in the ground is good. A Nickel at 5" max isn't so good.

I love my LRP and QDP and don't plan on replacing them with anything else, unless the F22 and F44 are worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not an air test expert. In my air test recently, I tested my LRP like the person in this video:

I was working off of the back side of the coil, and under the impression that the EM field travels equally in both directions.

Today I threw a quarter, a dime, a nickel and a penny in different areas of my thick lawn. This allowed me to ground balance, then raise the coil about 2" and seek out the coins. Once I found each coin, I would raise the coil to see where I lost the signal of the coin. Each coin hit as it should and IDed properly. I could raise the coil 8" or so before I started losing the quarter and the penny. It was around 6" or so that the dime started to disappear. The nickel was 5" or so before I started getting 3-4 out of 5 nickel IDs.

Like I said, I am not a big air test advocate. I hunt and determine my experiences by what I dig, how deep I dig. Like I said in a previous post, I don't want anyone to lose confidence in the LRP over something I may not be doing correctly. That's why I asked others to weigh in.

Once I did a factory default reset, and used the ground balance to determine coins on the ground (not in the air), the LRP seems to be working to it's designed standard. And doing an air test off of the back side of the coil is not going to give as accurate results as working off of the face of the coil on the LRP or the QDP.

Jorge has contacted me concerning this and helped me. He offered to make it right, but after more investigation on my part, it may have been my own ignorance on air testing that challenged my confidence in a machine that is doing what it was designed to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm sorry to shake your confidence, Jim. Jorge performed a test at FTP on the LRP and I'm sure they work just fine. They have a lot of options, and I may have had a few I forgot to reset and were in memory. Once I did a default reset (holding the Mode button while turning on), the machine seems to work proper.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dan I got my LRP today seems like a bigger learning curve than the F-75 , had no chance to test it out today with all the damn rain but soon :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Dan I got my LRP today seems like a bigger learning curve than the F-75 , had no chance to test it out today with all the damn rain but soon :icon_thumright:

Oh. I thought you cancelled the order. If you need help, just ask. C,J and A are no brainers. just adjust sensitivity and volume. 2,3 and 4 gives a lot more options plus GG. I usually just GG in mode 4, crank sense to 9 or 10 and go.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh. I thought you cancelled the order. If you need help, just ask. C,J and A are no brainers. just adjust sensitivity and volume. 2,3 and 4 gives a lot more options plus GG. I usually just GG in mode 4, crank sense to 9 or 10 and go.

I did cancel and reordered at a better price $ 249.00 saved $ 200.00 :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread