If you own a LRP, please read.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an air test expert. In my air test recently, I tested my LRP like the person in this video:

I was working off of the back side of the coil, and under the impression that the EM field travels equally in both directions.

Today I threw a quarter, a dime, a nickel and a penny in different areas of my thick lawn. This allowed me to ground balance, then raise the coil about 2" and seek out the coins. Once I found each coin, I would raise the coil to see where I lost the signal of the coin. Each coin hit as it should and IDed properly. I could raise the coil 8" or so before I started losing the quarter and the penny. It was around 6" or so that the dime started to disappear. The nickel was 5" or so before I started getting 3-4 out of 5 nickel IDs.

Like I said, I am not a big air test advocate. I hunt and determine my experiences by what I dig, how deep I dig. Like I said in a previous post, I don't want anyone to lose confidence in the LRP over something I may not be doing correctly. That's why I asked others to weigh in.

Once I did a factory default reset, and used the ground balance to determine coins on the ground (not in the air), the LRP seems to be working to it's designed standard. And doing an air test off of the back side of the coil is not going to give as accurate results as working off of the face of the coil on the LRP or the QDP.

Jorge has contacted me concerning this and helped me. He offered to make it right, but after more investigation on my part, it may have been my own ignorance on air testing that challenged my confidence in a machine that is doing what it was designed to do.

Not the DD coil in the video is it ?

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey. Your right. Looks like a 8" concentric, doesn't it? Hadn't noticed.

taterbill

Greenie
Apr 3, 2015
Howdy all....Dan, whats status on Jorge testing the LRP? Did your comment on 4-09 mean that he had tested the lrp & didn't find anything wrong? I'm still having nickle detection problems, in the ground. Reseting the detector doesn't seem to help much. Nickels are only solid when 4 " or less. Seems like you shouldn't have to reset just for nickels, when quarters lock in solid. Just checkin with ya for the latest.
Taterbill

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all....Dan, whats status on Jorge testing the LRP? Did your comment on 4-09 mean that he had tested the lrp & didn't find anything wrong? I'm still having nickle detection problems, in the ground. Reseting the detector doesn't seem to help much. Nickels are only solid when 4 " or less. Seems like you shouldn't have to reset just for nickels, when quarters lock in solid. Just checkin with ya for the latest.
Taterbill

I don't know if Jorge is monitoring this thread or not. He IS monitoring the thread at Finds Treasure Forum that I placed this same issue under Hightone. I don't know if Dave J (woof) is keeping up with things here and Jorge at Finds. But FTP "is" listening and wants the feedback.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to return my LRP because of all the issues with it pin-pointing was way off won't lock on anything except aluminum finished with it

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to return my LRP because of all the issues with it pin-pointing was way off won't lock on anything except aluminum finished with it

I seem to be having the same problem pinpointing on my bounty hunter platinum. I just took it out for the last time to give it another shot. Keeps pinpointing in one spot I dig the hole and nothing. It will beep on the outside of the hole. I brought the platinum back inside grabbed my tesoro compadre and went back over the hole. Bang found a dime. The platinum kept giving me a signal one way. when i would come back the other way nothing. I'm wasting too much time with it and it needs to go. The little compadre is pretty fun. I just swing away until i hear a choppy blip then slow down and hone in on it. I set the dial to f in foil and crank it up from there when i hit on something. Pretty sure bet so far that once you go past 5 cent mark and it still beeps until you just go past pulltab then it gets choppy or stops. Its a pull tab or bottle top. I've come to the conclusion someone was a heavy drinker in the woods by my house.LOL Though I did just un bury a 2 sided really rusted axe head. Not sure how old that is?

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry to hear that Jim. Maybe the F75 has you spoiled.:laughing7:

I have no problems PPing with the 11" coil after watching how detectMO does it in his "LRP school hunt" video. Every time I zero in on whatever the machine is detecting.

When I get the time, I'm thinking about doing a video on the LRP and QDP.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that Jim. Maybe the F75 has you spoiled.:laughing7:

I have no problems PPing with the 11" coil after watching how detectMO does it in his "LRP school hunt" video. Every time I zero in on whatever the machine is detecting.

When I get the time, I'm thinking about doing a video on the LRP and QDP.

Dan your right the F 75 will spoil you But the issue with the LRP The pp was all screwed up It would start to pp then stop so I would have to re sweep and pp again and again and again

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan your right the F 75 will spoil you But the issue with the LRP The pp was all screwed up It would start to pp then stop so I would have to re sweep and pp again and again and again

Oh. Yeah that sometimes happens to me as well. The PP button on the LRP is a monoplane type. Good for water resistance but difficult to hold down if you aren't used to them. Once you push it, if you don't maintain pressure on the button, any variance can release the PP feature. You have a (great) trigger on the F75. My old F5 and current F2 uses that monoplane style as well., kind of like microwave buttons, so I got used to it.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that after 40 hours on the LRP, that the weaker gold range is just the nature of the beast. The silver area is sooooo hard hitting for coins that I expect the nickel to hit as solid. After some time now, I can say that even if the nickel or pull tab travel a little on the LRP, that the true ID exists in the slowing the sweep to about 3" back and forth and taking the most predominant number. A flat PT hits 36-37 each time. Angle it and it hits 36-37 3 out of 5 times. If one doesn't take the time to learn the LRP, they will send it off thinking is isn't deep or accurate.

The 7.69 process is the same one used in the new F lineup. I read a review of the F44 today where the user praised how hard it hits silver coins. Same with the LRP. The differences are few. The LRP has no light, but it does have V-Break. The LRP has adjustable notch width where the F44 notches a segment of ten. The LRP has disc up to 69, the F44 has no disc. Each has preset modes. The F44 has tone customizing, the LRP has tone choices by mode. Each one has it's strengths.

The BH line is not going to get support from most dealers since it's sold by retail outlets. The Fisher F44 is a dealer purchase and will get support.

The biggest draw back to the BH is the plug in coil. But if one changes the plug to a screw on, they have the same options as the F44, Greeks, F5 and GBP.

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro silver umax, Fisher F2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out with my LRP today and discovered that I was losing targets when using a lot of discrimination. So, I backed off to about 25 and turned up the V brake into the higher coins area. Also, Iater I was getting a high silver reading, 50 cent or more, with something else reading about 30, 5 inches from it. I dug an dug hoping to find a cool coin, and nothing. So I decided to dig up the lower reading in hopes of clearing from the coin. Turned out to be a 1inch pipe, about 1 foot long pounded straight into the ground. It was a pain in the a$$ to get out too. After I the pipe was removed i had no other reading. Evidently the coil was picking up the side of the pipe? That 11DD coil is pretty sensitive. I have not found anything deeper with it than I have with my F2, hopefully I will soon.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out with my LRP today and discovered that I was losing targets when using a lot of discrimination. So, I backed off to about 25 and turned up the V brake into the higher coins area. Also, Iater I was getting a high silver reading, 50 cent or more, with something else reading about 30, 5 inches from it. I dug an dug hoping to find a cool coin, and nothing. So I decided to dig up the lower reading in hopes of clearing from the coin. Turned out to be a 1inch pipe, about 1 foot long pounded straight into the ground. It was a pain in the a$$ to get out too. After I the pipe was removed i had no other reading. Evidently the coil was picking up the side of the pipe? That 11DD coil is pretty sensitive. I have not found anything deeper with it than I have with my F2, hopefully I will soon.

Depending on the proximity to a large iron target, ID numbers will change. I first noticed this with my F2. If right on top of the iron target, I would get a large silver ID, into high 90's or 99. If a few inches away from it, the target would drop into lower numbers, sometimes in the 80's looking like a dime or quarter. The fringe area of coil was picking it up like a dime, fooling me into thinking I had a dime next to a big piece of iron!

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm learning that the LRPs all metal mode is a strength in depth and ID. The AM mode would have probably given a hint to a pipe, especially laying perpendicular to the ground. Scanning left to right, then turning 90 to scan, the LRP not only gives the conductivity ID, but the VCO is constant in distinguishing size.

Like I said in other posts, the LRP is 80% of the higher priced machines. If they barely hit 11" in the ground, expect barely 9". But turn on the AM, and you let the machine work at it's least option restricted mode and it gives you it's all while throwing in screen hints along the way. It's a little different in the way we become spoiled (to letting the machine discriminate automatically) but you become surprised as all of a sudden there is more down there than you thought. And it's not just iron.......the unit tells you those as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread