I'll be leaving the hobby after 2+ years

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really got into metal detecting to find silver coins. The first year I found 10 or 11. But this past year I've only found 2(dimes; and I really had to work to find these). It's been 7 months since I found my last one. I've been trying to detect older areas so there could POTENTIALLY be silver to be found. But no luck. I guess other detectorists have cleaned these areas out or not as many silver coins were dropped back in the day as I thought there were. Yes, I find clad coins. But it doesn't make sense to spend $5 in gas to travel to a spot where I find $1.30 in clad. Also, I'll spend $10 on a new pair of gloves occasionally. And batteries cost money. It's gotten to the point where it's really not worth it. I'm not even finding silver rings anymore(go figure). I think my first year was just beginner's luck. There is so much mineralization in the desert soil that the AT-Pro only gets 2.5--3" of detection. If I use the big coil I might get 3.5--4". Maybe the silver coins are hiding deeper and I'm just not able to detect them. But I've tried everything and have run out of answers. I've read other posts on this site where detectorists consistently find silver, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've asked permission from some owners of older properties(i.e. old motels, old houses) but most of the time I hear a "no".
I'm going to concentrate on CRHing as I find silver coins more frequently with this method. It seems more time-worthy. BTW, if anyone out there is interested in buying my AT-Pro at a reasonable price, PM me. HH everyone. It wasn't all bad. Thanks for the memories. 7up.

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks, last ditch effort to stay in the hobby. Today I sent the AT-Pro back to Garrett to get it tested. It could be malfunctioning. Anxious to hear what they have to say. And thanks to all the encouraging replies. :thumbsup:

Was it the song I sang for you that did it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick and Stay to make it Pay !!!!!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! We all get burnt or bummed out at times when silver seams to elude us no matter how hard we look. Then when you least expect it bam a ring or a piece of pops out of the hole and makes every penny worth it!
My other hobby which is saltwater flats fishing is about 10x more expensive but I do at least get great tasting fish out of the endeavor and see some very beautiful scenery.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes we have to try different hobbies to find one that sticks. Have you tried bowling?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'm actually having my worst year ever compared to past years. But I still go out and hunt cause I know as long as I keep searching it will turn around. If you don't look you won't find. That's guaranteed .

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I say to someone who says the ole " I am thinking of giving up metal detecting " is...

That's too bad... I know exactly how you feel...

How much for all of your gear ?

:P

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if all i hunted was parks and school yards and other people's yards i would quit also .I can see your point.. Good luck in what you take up .. But you do live in Gold country i would think you would prospect.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sILVER IS A RARE THING NOWADAYS --LAST YEAR I FOUND 1135 COINS AND ONLY 2 SILVERS/// but THEY WERE A 1830 HALF DIME AT AN OLD TAVERN SITE AND A 1878 SEATED QTR AT ROADSIDE. great FINDS AND MAKE IT WORTH LOOKING//// pERRY

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad that you decided to hang in there.

What keeps me going is this thought: my next plug might be THE PLUG that contains a bucket lister, a cool relic, or other treasure. It's like a free lottery. :thumbsup:

The price of the batteries and the fuel are the price we pay to engage in our passion/obsession.

Try thinking outside the box and always follow your gut. Stop thinking why am I continuing to go out to find nothing. If that's what is on your mind and in your heart, nothing is what you will find. Be more positive and just know that today is the day you're pulling a keeper.

I just shared "The Secret"

Good Luck

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if all i hunted was parks and school yards and other people's yards i would quit also .I can see your point.. Good luck in what you take up .. But you do live in Gold country i would think you would prospect.

What Keppy said.
South of Tucson is the Santa Rita Mountains....Gold!

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks, last ditch effort to stay in the hobby. Today I sent the AT-Pro back to Garrett to get it tested. It could be malfunctioning. Anxious to hear what they have to say. And thanks to all the encouraging replies. :thumbsup:

While you're waiting on it to come back. Do some local research to find the best places to hunt. My wife (an epidemiologist) constantly reminds me how it is a rare event to put that little coil over a tiny treasure given that the Earth's surface is 196.9 million mi² (dry land 57,308,738 square miles).

Research is the best way to improve your odds.

How many MDing books have you read? Check Amazon, they have a couple of really good ones on researching sites.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fellow MD'er

sILVER IS A RARE THING NOWADAYS --LAST YEAR I FOUND 1135 COINS AND ONLY 2 SILVERS/// but THEY WERE A 1830 HALF DIME AT AN OLD TAVERN SITE AND A 1878 SEATED QTR AT ROADSIDE. great FINDS AND MAKE IT WORTH LOOKING//// pERRY

Agree. Respect.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad that you decided to hang in there.

What keeps me going is this thought: my next plug might be THE PLUG that contains a bucket lister, a cool relic, or other treasure. It's like a free lottery. :thumbsup:

The price of the batteries and the fuel are the price we pay to engage in our passion/obsession.

Try thinking outside the box and always follow your gut. Stop thinking why am I continuing to go out to find nothing. If that's what is on your mind and in your heart, nothing is what you will find. Be more positive and just know that today is the day you're pulling a keeper.

I just shared "The Secret"

Good Luck

Agree. Respect.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't tug at my heart when a guy wants to give up - Less competition is a good thing.

Think its bad now, another decade or 2 ground found silver will really be a challenge to find. Then there is always the beach [for most folks anyhow] that at least replenishes, but there is increasing competition there as well, out in the water and on the sand.
I hit a beach this past labor day, day after actually. They do not allow metal detecting between memorial day and labor day. Went there the day after a few years ago and there was only 2 other guys there ,,, This year, 14 out in the water and half a dozen combing the sand - And this at the crack of dawn. Some guys even had head flashlights, they must have came during the night or 6am on the dot. I got there around 6:45am Managed to find a silver ring and a couple stainless, but I was shocked there we so many out there, most had AT Pros ... And I think that machine alone is the main reason many more people are out it the water [I use it myself].
Before that, you pretty much had to spend $1K+ for a decent water machine, the AT cut that in half and alot of folks that otherwise would never have took the plunge took it - And of course, use it on land as well.

I would speculate that there have never been more people that own metal detectors as of right now, probably has not peaked yet. So it stands to reason that out of that crowd, a certain % will throw in the towel when expectations of treasure flying out of the ground at them are not met, which I think is a natural progression.

Last edited:

tincup22

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2016
okla.
Detector(s) used
v3i dfx 300 coinmasterpro goldbug
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i have found very little coins but omg the relics are awesome imho dont give up

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't tug at my heart when a guy wants to give up - Less competition is a good thing....

Yep; I finally found an old park with some older coins... Not telling anyone what it's called or where it is. Probably hasn't been detected much over the years, at least not thoroughly. ^_^

PCoats

Jun 30, 2015
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Garrett and Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quitting metal detecting is a good idea, more for the rest of us.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you do quit, can I have your stuff?:occasion14: