Upvote 0

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck and chance my friend. I found a cherry 1889 V nickel as a child while planting flowers for an elderly neighbor. Just popped out of the ground in my trowel. Still have and cherish it! It's been over 20 years since then. I recently made my way home and ran my Deus in the same ground only to find nothing. Not even a single clad. I know the owners, no one has ever detected that land.

What we do is a matter of luck and chance. No need to be discouraged. As they say, every dog has it's day. Maybe tomorrow!

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the wealthiest family in this town donated the land to the City in 2006 for a public park. I thought "old money" maybe "old land". Well I found the 1900
Half 8" down. BINGO!!! Then nothing since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to my that little modern park this morning ( hour away ) hunted for 4 hours and found nothing, but trash and clad, for the 4 time in 4 days. How on earth can I find a 1900 Barber Half in my first hour of the first day and not even find a wheat cent since. It boggles my mind.

You found the recent drop. A coin given to a child by a relative... how proudly carried it around in his/her pocket until it fell out while running around.

My guess!

I found 8 foreign coins, all from different countries, in one hole, the same way.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found the recent drop. A coin given to a child by a relative... how proudly carried it around in his/her pocket until it fell out while running around.

My guess!

I found 8 foreign coins, all from different countries, in one hole, the same way.

8" down? Hard for me to believe, unless the little kid buried it.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beat up 1902 barber dime, along with a few other older coins, in a park that's only 10 years old. All 6" or less in depth, all in a 20' circle.

Per the parks department, fill dirt was brought in when the park was being created.

I assume that's where they came from, as I've only found clad throughout the rest of the park.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a beat up 1902 barber dime, along with a few other older coins, in a park that's only 10 years old. All 6" or less in depth, all in a 20' circle.

Per the parks department, fill dirt was brought in when the park was being created.

I assume that's where they came from, as I've only found clad throughout the rest of the park.

Now that makes sense. Now I can't believe they only had 1 coin in all that fill dirt. Ooooor I can look at it as I was lucky to find the only coin in all that fill dirt. :laughing:

Last edited:

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got back into detecting because my mother found a Merc while working in her garden. Now she, my brother, and I are in a race to see who can dig the first silver coin. My brother has dug at least two silver rings, and I detected a gold ring and picked up some Coinstar silver... but we've yet to detect a single silver coin. It's been a year. Keep looking!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
CLEAN THAT CLAD OUT U WILL BE SURPRISED

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
truth
If there is nothing in that new park ,go door knocking and ask permission or,the oldest part of town in between the sidewalk and street.
Gary

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
truth
If there is nothing in that new park ,go door knocking and ask permission or,the oldest part of town in between the sidewalk and street.
Gary

Hey Gary that's my problem I have some kind of door knocking phobia.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gary that's my problem I have some kind of door knocking phobia.

Truth,

Knocking on doors is really the key to finding those once in lifetime targets. The worst they can say is no. Otherwise, join a local club or find a detecting buddy in your area that is willing to do the knocking (or already has the permissions). I trade tips on how to use the Deus with folks and they invite me to come out and show them what I am talking about, and the next thing you know we are pulling three ringers out of a farm field somewhere in the countryside. It is a matter of networking with strangers and turning them into friends.

You, as a believer in "luck", sometimes you have to "make" your own "luck".

For example, G.A.P Gary who has been metal detecting for years and years has decided to take up the Deus. I am giving him some pointers on the Deus and would love to meet up with him sometime in New York and we can both go out and try the Deus on one of the perhaps thousands of sites he has already pounded with a bunch of other detectors to see what we come up with. Wadda you say Gary?

See - that's how it's done - lol. (Frankly, PMing is the way to do this so you don't put someone on the spot, but just trying to illustrate a point in this case)

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So give the area a break and come back to it in the spring of the year, when the earth has rotated some.

All I know is if I found a 1900 barber, I wouldn't be too upset about not finding anything else there for a while. LOL.....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to my that little modern park this morning ( hour away ) hunted for 4 hours and found nothing, but trash and clad, for the 4 time in 4 days. How on earth can I find a 1900 Barber Half in my first hour of the first day and not even find a wheat cent since. It boggles my mind.

Defeated? L.o.l..
Far from it.
Take them old coins as they come ,while trying to up your odds too.

Hit that park again now and then when/ as soil conditions change.
It was a site before it was a park.
Keep an eye out for low spots,and rough areas not fancied up.

Door knockin ain't fun. .So ,do it sometimes.
Imagine a knock on your door asking permission to frog around........Smile too. A no is just a no, thanks for your time and have a great day. Next door. Smile.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck and chance my friend. I found a cherry 1889 V nickel as a child while planting flowers for an elderly neighbor. Just popped out of the ground in my trowel. Still have and cherish it! It's been over 20 years since then. I recently made my way home and ran my Deus in the same ground only to find nothing. Not even a single clad. I know the owners, no one has ever detected that land.

What we do is a matter of luck and chance. No need to be discouraged. As they say, every dog has it's day. Maybe tomorrow!

Happy hunting!
Ever wonder if they planted it to see how jazzed you were when you found it? Bet they were jazzed to see how jazzed you were.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Defeated? L.o.l..
Far from it.
Take them old coins as they come ,while trying to up your odds too.

Hit that park again now and then when/ as soil conditions change.
It was a site before it was a park.
Keep an eye out for low spots,and rough areas not fancied up.

Door knockin ain't fun. .So ,do it sometimes.
Imagine a knock on your door asking permission to frog around........Smile too. A no is just a no, thanks for your time and have a great day. Next door. Smile.

That's my whole mental block I'm a very private person and I would not want anybody knocking on my door asking to roam around my property. One day I hope I get over that and door knock.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever wonder if they planted it to see how jazzed you were when you found it? Bet they were jazzed to see how jazzed you were.

Was I jazzed! It was weird I was sitting there laughing like a child. I love that feeling.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For example, G.A.P Gary who has been metal detecting for years and years has decided to take up the Deus. I am giving him some pointers on the Deus and would love to meet up with him sometime in New York and we can both go out and try the Deus on one of the perhaps thousands of sites he has already pounded with a bunch of other detectors to see what we come up with. Wadda you say Gary?
Vferrari
It would be my pleasure to host you here in N.Y. and metal detect together.
Any time you can get up this way i can put up, so no motel Room cost
We can hunt the land of Catherine Town burnt by Gen Sullivan in 1779.
Thanks for the Deus tips !
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread