Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to my that little modern park this morning ( hour away ) hunted for 4 hours and found nothing, but trash and clad, for the 4 time in 4 days. How on earth can I find a 1900 Barber Half in my first hour of the first day and not even find a wheat cent since. It boggles my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For example, G.A.P Gary who has been metal detecting for years and years has decided to take up the Deus. I am giving him some pointers on the Deus and would love to meet up with him sometime in New York and we can both go out and try the Deus on one of the perhaps thousands of sites he has already pounded with a bunch of other detectors to see what we come up with. Wadda you say Gary?
Vferrari
It would be my pleasure to host you here in N.Y. and metal detect together.
Any time you can get up this way i can put up, so no motel Room cost
We can hunt the land of Catherine Town burnt by Gen Sullivan in 1779.
Thanks for the Deus tips !
Gary

Gary,

Thanks! Went to school upstate so I have a little familiarity with the Empire State with a rich history still buried in its soil. I get up there time to time for work so will PM you next time I am going to be in the area. Would love it!

Back to Truth - the other thing I do when I'm feeling down or in a slump detecting is go get me a new detector. Cheers me right up. As you can see from my profile, I have gotten into quite a few slumps. Lol.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor fella...

You are suffering from a treasure hangover! After you find something good, you EXPECT to find something that good or better... when it doesn't happen that way... BOOM... treasure hangover.

You can tell I have one when I throw the shovel down and pout!

It'll get better brother, chin up.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know what you mean Truth! There's a strange, unnamed rule that applies to both fishing and metal detecting. I have encountered this rule hundreds of times and here's the rule;

If you catch a nice fish or find a great coin on your first day and early in that day, that will be the best you will get in that location. If the opposite happens, you will catch and find many fish and coins later towards the end of that day. Don't have a name for this rule, but it usually holds true. This April I pulled a 1901 V nickel out of a new permission. Found the nickel within 10 minutes. Six more trips to that home and still haven't pulled out one silver. Just a few wheats!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's my whole mental block I'm a very private person and I would not want anybody knocking on my door asking to roam around my property. One day I hope I get over that and door knock.

I know. I have not knocked on many yet.
Random knocking is easier than at a site I really want to hit.
Keeping a smile and eye contact without tripping on my tongue while sweat runs from my armpits to my waist......
A not overboard compliment of the sites age and history can help. Then your purpose of looking for a coin older than yourself ,though not expected very often. ( Or whatever you are after).

People are people though. All the same, all different. Some will say yes.
Some are simply relieved you are not selling something. ( Though you kinda are selling detecting..).
Don't take rejection when seeking permission as personal. That's easier when you know some folks just want solitude on their estates. Thank them still anyways.
Count the yes's ,not the no's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know. I have not knocked on many yet.
Random knocking is easier than at a site I really want to hit.
Keeping a smile and eye contact without tripping on my tongue while sweat runs from my armpits to my waist......
A not overboard compliment of the sites age and history can help. Then your purpose of looking for a coin older than yourself ,though not expected very often. ( Or whatever you are after).

People are people though. All the same, all different. Some will say yes.
Some are simply relieved you are not selling something. ( Though you kinda are selling detecting..).
Don't take rejection when seeking permission as personal. That's easier when you know some folks just want solitude on their estates. Thank them still anyways.
Count the yes's ,not the no's.

Not to mention I have a slight stuttering problem which doesn't help. Lol

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Use it to your advantage, maybe some ignorant sap will take pity (I don't judge as I grew up with a speech impediment). But I have shamelessly used my cute daughter to win over property owners, real hard to say no when a kid is present. She is getting a bit old for me to do that now so those days are gone, but boy was it almost always a sure fire thing. It's all about how you look at it my friend, if you let that stutter prevent you from asking you will never get to hunt some great private property. I have confidence you can make it happen.

Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run into the same thing. Now it is raining and the parks are under water around the play ground. I never give up, just keep looking and see if you can find another spot for time being. I am heading on the next time out to a swimming hole during the week. A new adventure. I have tried the football stadium parking lot after friday night, nothing but trash. it looks better when I leave hahahaha. ground so hard. fair grounds and rodeo parking next. Keep finding spots in our area, soon I will start finding coins and other things. I did find out that there are different tones for different pennies. older to newer. I started my a treasure bin, put different dates of pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters. My granddaughter had fun.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, you might not talk too much then like being nervous can inspire. Don't let a stutter stop you from seeking a detecting site.
Sign language could be a ploy, swing the detector in front of them then point at their yard....but yelling yaah-hoo on a good find could spoil it.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use it to your advantage, maybe some ignorant sap will take pity (I don't judge as I grew up with a speech impediment). But I have shamelessly used my cute daughter to win over property owners, real hard to say no when a kid is present. She is getting a bit old for me to do that now so those days are gone, but boy was it almost always a sure fire thing. It's all about how you look at it my friend, if you let that stutter prevent you from asking you will never get to hunt some great private property. I have confidence you can make it happen.

It really doesn't hinder me as much as the actual door knock I'm making excuses. Even when I was in my single days I had to make sure the girl like me 100% before I ask her on a date. Rejection is my Kryptonite. I just psychoanalyzed myself when writing this. :laughing:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, you might not talk too much then like being nervous can inspire. Don't let a stutter stop you from seeking a detecting site.
Sign language could be a ploy, swing the detector in front of them then point at their yard....but yelling yaah-hoo on a good find could spoil it.:laughing7:

Lmao!!! Maybe I can also wear blacked out sunglasses and tell them I'm blind and I have been known to stutter when nervous.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really doesn't hinder me as much as the actual door knock I'm making excuses. Even when I was in my single days I had to make sure the girl like me 100% before I ask her on a date. Rejection is my Kryptonite. I just psychoanalyzed myself when writing this. :laughing:

You must be walking around in my shoes Truth. If we ever hunted together we would be pushing one another to the door, "Don't be skeert I'm right behind you." lol

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must be walking around in my shoes Truth. If we ever hunted together we would be pushing one another to the door, "Don't be skeert I'm right behind you." lol

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Yeah I can see us now! :laughing:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it def ain't easy to knock on doors, especially if you MD to mostly get away from folks (introverted engineer type here) and relax but getting a detecting buddy or two at least makes it fun and can open up some opportunities. Is there a local club you can join?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, it def ain't easy to knock on doors, especially if you MD to mostly get away from folks (introverted engineer type here) and relax but getting a detecting buddy or two at least makes it fun and can open up some opportunities. Is there a local club you can join?

My wife says outside the house I'm the most outgoing loner. I'm very very comfortable by myself. I'm joining a New Orleans club in January. I need more connections and I want to gain as much information and wisdom from the old timers.

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got permission on a 1852 working farm today, same luck as you 1919 wheat and nothing else... Been at it all day. Good Luck!!!

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is if I found a 1900 barber, I wouldn't be too upset about not finding anything else there for a while. LOL.....

No truer words have ever been spoken!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread