IM a newbie

digginVA

Sep 18, 2006
im new to this web site and have always been a rockhound. I live in Pittsylvania county (about 40 miles south of Lynchburg)does any1 know of or possibly heard of any mines or veins located in this area or close surroundings?
I searched through ask.com and found this website they had some info about a mine in eastern pittsylvania county but when i clicked on the link i couldnt find a thing :( Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

birds4us

Greenie
Aug 29, 2006
Only public mine that I know of in VA is in Amelia, it is the Morefield Mine. I have not been there yet, but plan on it soon.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Guys: This info's from 2004, so I hope it's still Ok!

The Morfield Gem Mine is in Amelia, Va. (804) 561-3399 Open: Tue.-Sat, 9am-4:30pm

$10 incl. Use of Tools: Buckets, Rakes, Screens, Sluice, & Shovels.

Say's bring standard Mining Equip., Lunch, & Plenty to Drink!

Minerals: Amazonite, Garnet, Quartz(amethyst, clear rutile, & smoky topaz), calcite, Chrysoberyl, fluorite, Moonstone, Mica, Tourmaline, & Zircon. & many more!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deck Boyles Farm & Mine is also in Amelia (Same Street actually) (804) 561-2395 Open: Year Round, Daylight Hours

$3 per day. & Bring the same Mining Equip., Lunch, & Drinks! (Wear old clothes because the Red Clay stains Forever)

That's it & Good Luck!

Joe

Minerals: 7 Shades of Beryl, & Smoky Quartz!

papa

Sep 21, 2006
From one newbie to another, Hi Ya'll
I don't have a scanner at home to copy this article,but check on line for Galax Gazette newspaper,dated 8 - 25 - 06 Glimpses of the past. Secret silver mine used to counterfeit coins. If you can't find it,let me know,I'll get you a copy made.Up this way give me a yell,I'm just out side Galax. If you can't hunt,research and drink coffee.
papa

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I live about 15 or 20 minutes from the moorefield mine. Never been there, but always wondered about it. If you come this way hit me up! If you'd like some company I'd love the experience. Could even ride over before hand to find out anything we need to know before you make the hike.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
You need to contact Giles County Rescue squad.Used to do a lot of "Cavein" with those guy. If there's a cave around,they know about it. Last one I was in there,was over a mile long.Dark too 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread