OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...I have relatives in Front Royal....and Winchester....I was raised in Rappahannock

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Digginman said:
I lived in the Harrisonburg area Rowdy. I love the middle Valley. Do you Relic Hunt??

DM

To be honest, I don't even have a detector yet! I've always been interested in history, not to mention treasure!:D So I started lurking around here. In a couple of months, I'll be debt free, and plan to reward myself with a new Tesoro detector!!! :)

In the mean time, I'm having a ball reading about everyones exploits, resaerching, and planning hunts for the future!

I'm curious, have you ever hunted in the G.W.? I can't make heads or tails out of the rules on their website!

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Rowdy said:
Digginman said:
I lived in the Harrisonburg area Rowdy. I love the middle Valley. Do you Relic Hunt??

DM

To be honest, I don't even have a detector yet! I've always been interested in history, not to mention treasure!:D So I started lurking around here. In a couple of months, I'll be debt free, and plan to reward myself with a new Tesoro detector!!! :)

In the mean time, I'm having a ball reading about everyones exploits, resaerching, and planning hunts for the future!

I'm curious, have you ever hunted in the G.W.? I can't make heads or tails out of the rules on their website!

I don't think you can legally hunt the National Forest. I haven't asked though, so I may be wrong.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Virginia Beach here, since 1978.

As for detecting National Forest in VA...NO. But....don't cha' love those but's? My hubby and boys went camping at the Holiday State Park (near Lake Ana)...it's on the web. Anyways, you can get a permit to detect there. It cost $10.00, but they interview you AND it takes 10 days to get a permit. However, (always a down side)...anything of historical content (i.e., civil war) has to be turned into the park ranger. You can detect the beach area (as they call it...it's a lake)..anyways...you can detect there (with permit as well). There are also old gold mines in that region and you can do panning. Hubby did not find out exactly what you can or can not do there, or if permits were needed. We will investigate before going back there next year and this time...get our metal detecting permit well in advance!!!

Also, a few state parks we asked have always been NO...spoil sports!!

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann...Check into a place off route 17....it's called Goldvein, Va.....between Bealeton Va and Fredricksburg....It is said to have a mine not real sure....Ill check...only live about 15 miles or so from there....Most all of the area is farmland.....There is an old store "Goldvein Country Store"....Ill let you know.How is the weather there? http://www.goldvein.com/history.html

birds4us

Greenie
Aug 29, 2006
Hi, we are just outside of Staunton as well. We will have a new (used) Soverign in the next couple of days, and will be putting it to work soon after. I've used a Whites before, and always wanted a Soverign. Anyone know of some spots near here to get aquiainted with our new machine?

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all
Dave Mork from Sterling, VA. I use Whites detectors and have for twenty-two years. No plans to try anything else.
for those that want to TH on Federal property; if you do be ready to get arrested and when you do get arrested don't be surprised when they fine you up to $10,000.00 (Federal Parks), take your detector away, take anything on you that you dug up, and guess what will happen to your vehicle if it is parked on Federal land? You guessed it you just donated it to the Government. Now if this is not a wake the hell up call go ahead and search on Federal property. The US Park service if approached with the right angle will give you a permit to TH, but not at all parks. If you ask and are told 'No' try back again at a later day. A way I have used is to get to know the Park Director, go and explain what it is that you want to do. If you are near a Military base go to the Base's office that deals with public affairs. My TH'ing buddy and I had to sign a liability waiver and got approval to search a military base in VA. The finds included early 1900 silver, military buttons, Wheats, bullets. This is one of those times to do your research up front, go in and be honest with the Military, tell them what you want to do. Be aware that your digging tool cannot be, as I used a bayonet, they look at this as a weapon. Trowels and garden tools seem to be ok, but I was written up for the bayonet. This was just a warning but I had to put it away and promise to not bring it back again.
I wish you all the best in all you do, be safe and have fun. :-)
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Attachments

• Union Breast Plate from Warranton VA.JPG
    Union Breast Plate from Warranton VA.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,471

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Michelle said:
Ron and Ann...Check into a place off route 17....it's called Goldvein, Va.....between Bealeton Va and Fredricksburg....It is said to have a mine not real sure....Ill check...only live about 15 miles or so from there....Most all of the area is farmland.....There is an old store "Goldvein Country Store"....Ill let you know.How is the weather there? http://www.goldvein.com/history.html

Awww Thanks Michelle....I checked out the site some and also saved it to my Treasure Hunting Fav spots...thanks for the link. Look forward to anything you can find, greatly appreciated. I do want to go back to Holiday State Park next year and the CRATER OF DIAMONDS in Arksanas too!!!! (Need some diamonds to put in the gold I find LOL).

Weather? Raining since Wednesday night (bad storms that night). Off and on, some downpours yesterday and today. Rain is suppose to last till 8 Sep...so much for Labor Day weekend. But I really hope it does not down pour on Monday or Tuesday, two days we planned to detect the beach. We will see. How's it up by you?

Dave Mork...yep, I have called around to just about every State and National Park in Va and the answer is always no. That is why we were surprised at the Holiday State Park. The ranger there said that it just depends who is running the park as well. We have Seashore State Park here (on the Bay side) and the rangers there said NO to detecting, not even on the beach!!! You can not detect on Ft Story...due to buried ammo all over the base, not even the beach area. I called and also went there personnally, as we frequent the military beach alot. Still no go. But I have detect two bases here and didn't have any probs. I had to contact the base Security Officer....now I am trying for my third base :)

I heard about two guys that detected the Yorktown Battlefield, they did some jail time....some years back, if I recall.

HH All.......Annmarie

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather in Culpeper....Sucks....rather the wind is blowing really hard at times a few limbs down in the yard and water everywhere....good ground soaking for some mding when all this wind stops...and quite a bit cooler....Glad you liked the sight...Ill check for more...There will be some heavy road construction to the west of of soon...it will cut through some pretty historic ground from the civil war era....also passes by an old old cemetary....

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived 4yrs in beautiful Virginia while in the service, does that count? :-\

I have some friends (used to be my childhood next door neighbors) that live in Winchester, nice little town it is.

"Grizzly bare" is from VA too, if he pops in here to read this I'm sure he'll say Hi.

Would love to hunt VA, but at least here in NY we don't have the state wanting our finds! Farms and fields galore us everywhere's too!

Happy Hunting ya'll.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some people like that...most of the ones we hunt say sure go ahead and they leave us alone...the biggest grip most of them have is leaving open holes...their animals may get twisted legs and such....We always cover holes.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
THing4CSA said:
Hi all
Dave Mork from Sterling, VA. I use Whites detectors and have for twenty-two years. No plans to try anything else.
for those that want to TH on Federal property; if you do be ready to get arrested and when you do get arrested don't be surprised when they fine you up to $10,000.00 (Federal Parks), take your detector away, take anything on you that you dug up, and guess what will happen to your vehicle if it is parked on Federal land? You guessed it you just donated it to the Government. Now if this is not a wake the hell up call go ahead and search on Federal property. The US Park service if approached with the right angle will give you a permit to TH, but not at all parks. If you ask and are told 'No' try back again at a later day. A way I have used is to get to know the Park Director, go and explain what it is that you want to do. If you are near a Military base go to the Base's office that deals with public affairs.

Dave,

I was actually more interested in forest, rather than park land since I'm about a pistol shot away from the George washington. I've read through the forest service rules and regs, and they are pretty confusing. It seems like prospecting and even mining "can" be done legally, if you jump through the right hoops. They are very clear that relics and historical item are off limits, as I think are wilderness areas.

I was more interested in parking areas, beaches, and pull offs on some of the dirt roads. From what I can tell, it all boils down to what the person in charge of the particular ranger district says.

Since they have no particular reason to say yes, and potential for damage if they do, your approach seems the best. Get to know them, and make sure they understand you're gonna play by the rules!

T

Tres Gay

Hi!

I grew up in Va Beach, went to college in Harrisonburg, and live in Richmond.

So far I've been too shy to ask for permission hunting other than one hotel that is for sale. I got permission but didn't find much. I have a cheapo detector. I've limited my hunting to school yards, the library, and our back yards.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tres Gay said:
Hi!

I grew up in Va Beach, went to college in Harrisonburg, and live in Richmond.

So far I've been too shy to ask for permission hunting other than one hotel that is for sale. I got permission but didn't find much. I have a cheapo detector. I've limited my hunting to school yards, the library, and our back yards.

I too, am a bit on the shy side to ask. I have quite a few spots picked out, some I need to go to the courthouse to find out who owns some of the land. These are spots I want to do as soon as the kids go back to school and before it gets REALLY COLD!!!

I find that maps.google.com of my area helps alot. I capture the image of the map and print it. I have a few that I am taking to the courthouse to see if I can find the owner. I use SNAG IT....great program!

Try that sometime and then check with the courthouse to see who owns it. Good Luck....and HH.........Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread